Sponsored

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
I think the experience with the amount of rebuilding and expanding the Normal plant to fit their needs was part of the reason to build from scratch. It is faster to build a new house than rebuild an old one.

Certainly would have been better to build where there was not as much “NIMBY” resistance though.
No such NIMBY place exists.
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I think that the video you posted was actually an "anti Rivian" one right? Isn't the stink about erosion or water run off with that fine fine red Georgia clay?

So have they "filled" the Normal plant? That is, do they have room to start an R2 line there and then move it or replicate it in GA when that plant is ready? I assume at the very least they could be producing motors and batteries in Normal for the R2s in GA and ship them down there so all they have to make is the frame/body/interior line initially and then they can move stuff over as available.
My understanding is that they are already producing the Enduro motors and assembling the battery packs in Normal.

RivianRiverRat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla 3, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Civil Engineer
No such NIMBY place exists.
Don’t know if Alabama would welcome them with tax incentives and the states auto dealer franchise laws but google earth Greenbrier Al - the crop circles tract is the same size as the Normal tract
Mazda-Toyota and Amazon are up and running in my neck of the woods

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I think that the video you posted was actually an "anti Rivian" one right? Isn't the stink about erosion or water run off with that fine fine red Georgia clay?

So have they "filled" the Normal plant? That is, do they have room to start an R2 line there and then move it or replicate it in GA when that plant is ready? I assume at the very least they could be producing motors and batteries in Normal for the R2s in GA and ship them down there so all they have to make is the frame/body/interior line initially and then they can move stuff over as available.
Yes it is a anti-Rivian group that made and posted the video. It’s one of the best drone video I’ve seen. I can understand local’s being upset, but that’s kind of life. Hopefully Rivian does a great job and builds a beautiful plant we can all be proud of.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Rivian intends to build half of the site, capable of 200k vehicles, and then the second half as production rolls along. The first half is expected to be completed in 2025, with R2 cars produced in 2026.

Sponsored

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 1500SLT Crew cab
Occupation
Retired
I’m in GA for a few days so I took the opportunity to go by Rivian’s new plant to see what the progress is. I was here 1 yr ago and they just had signs posted and a few pieces of heavy equipment.

Fast forward to this weekend. It’s hard to gain prospective in a drive by as several roads were blocked off. This is a vast piece of land. From the little I could see, there is a lot of working going on clearing and excavating, lots of utility work being built as this is a very rural area, so looks like they are bringing in high power lines and building very large substations. I think Rivian has had some delays, but I am surprised they are only this far along. For a comparison, Tesla built the Austin plant and had started building models Y’s I think by the 25th month after ground breaking.

I was able to find a good drone video on YouTube which shows the current state of the GA plant.

Thanks goes to The Rutledge Eagle!
Is there any official statements regarding to the progress of the Ga plant?

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Is there any official statements regarding to the progress of the Ga plant?
The only mention of the GA plant I’ve heard lately were a few remarks that RJ made on the last earnings call. He said something to the effect, manufacturing equipment have long led times, and equipment has been sourced and order a long time ago, so at some point things will start to progress at a faster rate. It’s been awhile, but that was my takeaway. He sounded confident.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

They do have detention ponds. Lot of good that helped apparently. As a developer I totally get the logistics of project approval. It typically takes years and the actual construction only months.

BlueMars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
I’m in GA for a few days so I took the opportunity to go by Rivian’s new plant to see what the progress is. I was here 1 yr ago and they just had signs posted and a few pieces of heavy equipment.

Fast forward to this weekend. It’s hard to gain prospective in a drive by as several roads were blocked off. This is a vast piece of land. From the little I could see, there is a lot of working going on clearing and excavating, lots of utility work being built as this is a very rural area, so looks like they are bringing in high power lines and building very large substations. I think Rivian has had some delays, but I am surprised they are only this far along. For a comparison, Tesla built the Austin plant and had started building models Y’s I think by the 25th month after ground breaking.

I was able to find a good drone video on YouTube which shows the current state of the GA plant.

Thanks goes to The Rutledge Eagle!
thanks for sharing. Rivian is kind of reservative for their public targets so it's likely the factory will be set up in 2025.
Sponsored