Sponsored

Genuine real wood dash insert … or not?

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Twice now I’ve seen forum posts here and elsewhere from self-claimed designers who say the R1T cab trim is fiberglass composite, or plastic, rather than ash wood as Rivian has always claimed. Honestly, I think it looks great whatever it is (I have Black Mountain) but I wondered what the group thought.
Sponsored

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
The website says it's "natural-grained ash wood". So I assume they can't just put something else in there. Wouldn't that be false advertising?

I take the company's word over some internet "experts".

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's actual wood. I know someone who works for the company that supplies it. But it's extremely thin and backed by plastic.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It's wood. If it's not, I literally can't tell after rubbing my hands over it and being worried I'd get a splinter. lol.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Twice now I’ve seen forum posts here and elsewhere from self-claimed designers who say the R1T cab trim is fiberglass composite, or plastic, rather than ash wood as Rivian has always claimed. Honestly, I think it looks great whatever it is (I have Black Mountain) but I wondered what the group thought.
It’s open pore ash(I’ve seen and touched it), and likely a veneer over plastic backing…if it’s like every other such bit of wood on a modern car.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
It's actual wood. I know someone who works for the company that supplies it. But it's extremely thin and backed by plastic.
Which is exactly how it should be, if anyone doesn't know this already. This is not only an efficient use of material (typically they can get hundreds—maybe thousands—of cars out of a single tree this way), but also much more durable as the veneer is stabilized by the backing material.

It's not furniture sitting in a relatively controlled home environment, it has to put up with a lot of climate variations. If someone used solid (thick) wood in a vehicle, you'd almost certainly get cracks and splits due to wood movement.

(I once read that one of the ultra high-end brands would get all of the wood for a vehicle model from a single tree. It's amazing how far you can stretch veneers.)
Sponsored