First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I have finally tracked down I believe all my various NVH sources. I share so that others may benefit. Now that I have solved them, the truck went from what I thought were alot of suspension noise and janky, to remarkably well sorted out and quiet sounding, and I have the 20's. Not one noise was suspension. Suspension is very quiet actually. My family says I am a bit OCD on this stuff...and they are likely right, but NVH that doesn't come from a tire impact or actual suspension design, drives me crazy.

All of these are so simple...it was just finding them that took all the effort.

Sources Of Noise And Solution:
  • #1 Carbon Fiber Skid Plates. Screws needed to be tightened.
  • #2 Frunk sub-floor. The frunk is like a giant speaker and anything that sets off a thump sound, will be heard in cabin. The sub-floor was doing just that. One of my favorite NVH tools is to use appropriate weight Velcro, but only the soft half of it. So I put a bunch on frunk, so sub-floor now lands and sits on it, rather than it sitting directly on the plastic frunk tub.
  • #3 Front Wheel Liners. This one is a bit more intense, but there were several spots where the liner impacted the frame, and bumps would cause it to thump. Removed as needed to get to them (found by tapping/hitting the fender liners to hear if it would hit anything), used my soft half of velcro technique, and made them all go away. Rivian has deadner in there, just wasn't in all needed spots.
  • #4 Driver door lower trim wasn't fully engaged on inside and was tapping over bumps. Removed and reinstalled as necessary to correct.
  • #5 Front bumper squeeked enough to be heard in cabin on big bumps. I use silicone to go between the mating panels, and most of it is now gone. Not sure this one is technically OK, putting silicone in there, but I didn't care...I was going to find it.

Now truck is arguably the quietest truck I have been in. But these little things were driving me nuts and were pretty easy to fix.
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Pics or it didn't happen.

OP
OP

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Unfortunately I am
Pics or it didn't happen.
Unfortunately when I am chasing noises, I am on a mission, and often things I try have no effect. And I don't take many pictures. Plus most of these wouldn't represent well. Like me holding a bottle of silicon lube up to where two trim pieces come together on bumper. And the fender liners, only pulled as much as I needed to get at the spot, wedged my hand in there with the velcro, and got it in place....while working in dark by feel. Frunk.... lift subfloor see where it sits on tub, isolate it. Sorry..I wish I had taken pictures...

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Thanks! This is the first thread here I've actually bookmarked for future reference.

Sponsored

BillyBob

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traverse
Occupation
Just retired

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Me too...but I have no clue what NVH means. :(
Noise vibration harshness. Sounds like OP so far has only worked on the N. A vibration issue that needs to get solved on my truck is being able to feel the AC compressor running in my accelerator when it's at full speed.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Does anyone hear a rattle as AC is ramping up when first starting the vehicle each day? Goes away after 30 seconds or so and don't hear it again after starting/stopping vehicle again in the same day.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Does anyone hear a rattle as AC is ramping up when first starting the vehicle each day? Goes away after 30 seconds or so and don't hear it again after starting/stopping vehicle again in the same day.
Mine is intermittent. But yes, a definite rattle that doesn't sound right, imo.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Cool write up. Motivating me to go find what I thought was noise in my driver rear suspension... tbd

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Mine is intermittent. But yes, a definite rattle that doesn't sound right, imo.
From the outside, it sounds like its between the back of the frunk...and the firewall.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
From the outside, it sounds like its between the back of the frunk...and the firewall.
That's where the A/C compressor is, afaik.

OP
OP

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Since it is variable speed, it seems like something around it goes thru a natural frequency and vibrates. Since it is transient and I don't think anything related to the actual compressor, I am not worried about it. I did take a look and the compressor is very resiliency mounted.

OP
OP

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I found a solution to any NVH we may experience...

This is part of problem...too quiet.

Since we have no back ground noises, I think noises are more noticeable. I wonder if Rivian considered adding active noise cancelation at all?
Sponsored