Layoffs.... or the camp kitchens were removed😬
Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

The camp kitchen is meant to be installed at a service center, not on the assembly line, so it wouldn't create a bottleneck on the line...its 6-8 bolts for the gear shuttle install...so maybe takes a tech at the service center 30 minutes tops to install one and getting things aligned.
Exactly what I was going to say. Both items should be dealer (service center) installed. The camp kitchen sits on a gear tunnel shuttle, so I believe that part is the same either way. Installing the gear tunnel shuttle is the more complex item to install as it bolts to the truck. Putting the camp kitchen on the shuttle is easy. They made it so it can be easily removed by owner's when they don't need it. I think it just clips on to the shuttle, no bolts.

For $5,000 or $6,000 or whatever they're charging for it, probably doesn't cost them more than $1,000. 500 to 600% profit margin should make it worth it.

timgradywy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC40 Recharge, CTS-V2, Triumph TR6.
This looks like a really well thought out alternative, projected to ship late summer.

https://rivian-aftermarket.proboards.com/thread/22/slide-camp-kitchen-project-info

And their gear guard shuttle looks better designed than Rivian’s in house design ever was. Supposed to be ready late May.

https://rivian-aftermarket.proboards.com/thread/25/slide-utility-tray-project-info
Funny, looking at this makes me think about a pull out toolbox with portable welder to really make this a work truck...

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

For $5,000 or $6,000 or whatever they're charging for it, probably doesn't cost them more than $1,000. 500 to 600% profit margin should make it worth it.
I don't know what any of the companies would offer Rivian as an OEM buying in volume, but...

To buy all the individual Snowpeak pieces in the originally spec'ed kit was well over $1000.

Main sliders direct from Accuride were over $750

The Dometic Induction stove is $730 at camping world.

Sure you could do all of this stuff cheaper but Rivian specced quality stuff in and I think that's what their customers are going to expect. Could someone DIY a kitchen with similar capability for under $1000? Possibly, but they won't get nearly the quality of goods.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I believe the R1T tent page has been gone for a while (the R1S page is still active). There's a regulatory issue with the R1T because the tent blocks the third brake light and I believe Rivian as an original manufacturer cannot sell the R1T with equipment that blocks the third brake light.

Still doesn't explain why the R1S "version" of the tent still isn't available, but until they solve the brake light issue I don't think we'll see an R1T tent page.
I wonder if it isn't a regulatory/safety issue as well.

It's one thing for people to add a RTT to a vehicle, but its quite another for a vehicle manufacture themselves to sell one. That's essentially telling your customer that it won't compromise safety or anything else.

I also wonder how many people are really going to spend thousands extra for it when they can buy the same tent from REI without the Rivian markup.

It's not like Rivian did anything to add any extra value to it. Like bringing power up to to it for a heated blanket.

At least with the R1T they'll include an alternative brake light.

Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
It could be Rivian was also concerned that shipping these items would result in too many service requests. The Rivian Service Centers all appear to extremely busy, if not overwhelmed, as it is. Doesn’t make sense for them to be spending time fixing broken zippers and leaky sinks, right?
They just have to open the Rivian Adventure Shop.

To service the Camp Kitchen, Camp Toilet, RTT, and the Rivian Ebike. :p

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I don't know what any of the companies would offer Rivian as an OEM buying in volume, but...

To buy all the individual Snowpeak pieces in the originally spec'ed kit was well over $1000.

Main sliders direct from Accuride were over $750

The Dometic Induction stove is $730 at camping world.

Sure you could do all of this stuff cheaper but Rivian specced quality stuff in and I think that's what their customers are going to expect. Could someone DIY a kitchen with similar capability for under $1000? Possibly, but they won't get nearly the quality of goods.
I meant that the camp kitchen likely doesn't cost Rivian more than $1,000. Naturally, cost to customers is higher. Selling them at $5,000 to $6,000 means a 500 to 600% profit for Rivian if they paid the $1,000 it might cost them (if that) and sold them for $5,000 or more.

Skirotica

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Looks like these are completely off the website now...no longer "coming soon". wonder if this is good news and updated versions are on the way, or if that means they are scrapped altogether.
This sucks. I was never interested in the kitchen. I've found we can do cooking in the bed for a fraction of the cost. But I started to think the shuttle was a valuable addition. digging shit out of the tunnel is not my favorite activity.

Skirotica

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just "my" opinion, but my guess is Rivian probably involved in a dispute with vendor/manufacture of the camp kitchen and slide out. Only reason I say that is, my neighbor who works at Rivian says he heard they were getting stuck in the extended position in testing. Like locked where it left testers unable to get them back in and continue. All of sudden, he said they all disappeared. Since he isn't privy to anything beyond what he sees and gets to drive in public, he has no idea why they are not fixing them. He recently received his R1 and has made his own temporary camp kitchen, so he can cook while camping. He got tired of waiting like everyone else and made bed cover, bought his own tent, modified to work with the rivian rails and made a bed mounted kitchen setup out of aftermarket parts.
This sounds like a case where automation is not the best option. Why not a mechanical release?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This sounds like a case where automation is not the best option. Why not a mechanical release?
The slides do have a mechanical release but there's probably a chance it gets bound up from a lot of use.

Sponsored

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
If I was the manufacturer, I'd sub out these products under license, then populate them in an online shop. There is a demand, although unclear how much demand, at this point.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

If I was the manufacturer, I'd sub out these products under license, then populate them in an online shop. There is a demand, although unclear how much demand, at this point.
Exactly. They are leaving money on the table. This model has been implemented by every American truck manufacturer for a reason.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
Exactly. They are leaving money on the table. This model has been implemented by every American truck manufacturer for a reason.
Yeah I think it would be very doable. Sub out the shuttle assembly, then get bosch/kitchenaid or someone like that to make an electric cooktop. I think it would be a money maker, I mean even the supplying subs would love to be branded with an Eco-friendly venture.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Blueassassin

First Name