FrictionlessLube

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 WRX, ‘20 Forester
Clubs

The camp kitchen is what made me interested in Rivian, put a deposit down, and bought my R1T. It would be extremely disappointing if it possibly killed off. Not the end of the world, but it sucks. Now my question is, does a two burner electric stove for the 120v ports heat up just as quick as a propane camp stove and how much would it drain the battery?
Sponsored

Snazzy Labs

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Genesis GV80, Coda EV
Occupation
YouTuber
That is old news, that’s the exact same PR statement they delivered many months ago regarding the status of the kitchen and shuttle.
I don’t know about you, but “We are temporarily pausing production of the Camp Kitchen as we work to update its design” and “we’ve made the decision to halt production of the current versions of the built-in Camp Kitchen and Gear Tunnel Shuttle” seem a lot different to me. Especially considering that Electrek strongly suggests that statement was provided by Rivian today.

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
I’d be surprised if those accessories were in fact low margin for Rivian

Snazzy Labs

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Genesis GV80, Coda EV
Occupation
YouTuber
The camp kitchen is what made me interested in Rivian, put a deposit down, and bought my R1T. It would be extremely disappointing if it possibly killed off. Not the end of the world, but it sucks. Now my question is, does a two burner electric stove for the 120v ports heat up just as quick as a propane camp stove and how much would it drain the battery?
There are several induction cooktops for camping that work great. Dual burners and you push up against the inverter’s limitations. Power usage is rather negligible. 1.3kWh (less than 1%) per 1 hour of cooking use at max heat. Buy induction if you’re plugging into the truck tho.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I didn't really care much for the kitchen, but the tunnel shuttle would be useful for me. I thought someone on here was making one, I haven't heard about it for a while though.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Probably pulled engineers to work on something more critical. Disappointing, I get it. I'm not a camp kitchen customer but the shuttle I was planning on for my second order.

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I didn't really care much for the kitchen, but the tunnel shuttle would be useful for me. I thought someone on here was making one, I haven't heard about it for a while though.
@BoxGods is, but it is still in the planning stage. Several months out I would assume.

I was planning on going with 3rd party options for both the camp kitchen and a RTT anyway, but the ones I am interested in aren't available yet so either way I have to wait.

Haven't seen anything official yet, but it was mentioned here that www.lonepeakoverland.com is making a camper for the R1T. Pair that with some of the products that @BoxGods is planning and the R1T truly becomes the ultimate adventure vehicle.

Last edited:

RabidRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 03 S2K
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Just "my" opinion, but my guess is Rivian probably involved in a dispute with vendor/manufacture of the camp kitchen and slide out. Only reason I say that is, my neighbor who works at Rivian says he heard they were getting stuck in the extended position in testing. Like locked where it left testers unable to get them back in and continue. All of sudden, he said they all disappeared.
wait, all the testers disappeared?! what did Rivian do with these people?! :(

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I still don't get why the camp kitchen has been such a problem. I understand the auto-closing tailgate. I understand tank turn. Those are more complex. But, the camp kitchen? They already had it made and functional on several display vehicles. At $5,000 (more I think now), seems like a cash cow for them. As long as the cooktop works, won't be much for customers to complain about. Surprised that it's taken them this long to get it to market, especially considering how much they promoted it as a feature for this truck.

My guess would be supply chain issues since it's not something they build themselves? Surprised that company isn't offering it as an after-market option? Just seems odd.

I wanted the gear tunnel and hope it will come at some point. Was told last year, "October", then End of "2022", then March, 2023. Another simple enough bolt in item that would have amazing profit margins.

Most companies focus on getting these types of high profit margin items to market as quick as possible. Neither are rock science items. Just another aspect where Rivian is missing the boat on easy revenue. Look at what Elon has done with added items for Tesla. Tsportline and Unplugged picked up the slack for most other items. After a year, should be seeing this for Rivians.

FrictionlessLube

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 WRX, ‘20 Forester
Clubs

There are several induction cooktops for camping that work great. Dual burners and you push up against the inverter’s limitations. Power usage is rather negligible. 1.3kWh (less than 1%) per 1 hour of cooking use at max heat. Buy induction if you’re plugging into the truck tho.
Thank you. Induction because it is more energy efficient?

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Probably pulled engineers to work on something more critical. Disappointing, I get it. I'm not a camp kitchen customer but the shuttle I was planning on for my second order.
It could be Rivian was also concerned that shipping these items would result in too many service requests. The Rivian Service Centers all appear to extremely busy, if not overwhelmed, as it is. Doesn’t make sense for them to be spending time fixing broken zippers and leaky sinks, right?

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

It could be Rivian was also concerned that shipping these items would result in too many service requests. The Rivian Service Centers all appear to extremely busy, if not overwhelmed, as it is. Doesn’t make sense for them to be spending time fixing broken zippers and leaky sinks, right?
This is an excellent point.
Sponsored