Sponsored

GEAR TUNNEL & PETS -- SAFE? Why or why not??

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
So, for those of you that think your dogs are safer sitting in the cab with you...do you strap them in with a harness and a seat belt??
1642539178394.png
We absolutely do! And it allowed our German Shepherd to walk away unscathed from this accident Labor Day weekend. Also, no humans were injured because we didn't have to contend with a 62 lb cannonball flying forward through the cabin.

Rivian R1T R1S GEAR TUNNEL & PETS -- SAFE? Why or why not?? 20210905_184530
Sponsored

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I mean, it's a husky, it probably climbed through the passthrough on its own.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Look, this is simple. Would you put your kid back there, just because they fit?

Jeez.
In college, we once fit 3 people in the trunk to drive to the cafeteria. With 4 people in the back seat and 3 in the front seats lol.

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
So, for those of you that think your dogs are safer sitting in the cab with you...do you strap them in with a harness and a seat belt?? If not, you are endangering them should you need to slam on the brakes or are in an accident of any kind.

Or, how 'bout when your dog decides it needs to jump across your lap to bark at the dog next to you in the vehicle passing on the highway at 70+mph and causes an accident. Just sayin'.

1642539178394.png
Yes. Teddy knows that he has to be buckled in.
Rivian R1T R1S GEAR TUNNEL & PETS -- SAFE? Why or why not?? 732A21B0-D5D1-4DF8-AB8E-1288396AD089
Rivian R1T R1S GEAR TUNNEL & PETS -- SAFE? Why or why not?? 732A21B0-D5D1-4DF8-AB8E-1288396AD089

Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
So, for those of you that think your dogs are safer sitting in the cab with you...do you strap them in with a harness and a seat belt??
Yes. In a "hammock" and in a harness connected to the seatbelt - in the back seat.

In full transparency - we don't have kids. So, my dog is my child. My only child. My favorite child. His safety is very important to us :)

Last edited:

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Yes...maybe that is why I am not a parent. ?
Lol fair - neither am I and I'm sure my niece and nephew would find it hilarious to ride in the gear tunnel. Their parents, maybe not so much. :D

Yes. In a "hammock" and in a harness connected to the seatbelt - in the back seat.

In full transparency - we don't have kids. So, my dog is my child. My only child. My favorite child. His safety is very important to us :)
Same. Harnessed and buckled. I want her safe and like @electruck said, I don't need any in-car torpedoes.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Are you serious? This stuff is why every trunk has a release inside of it.

The number 1 thing is the tunnel is not crashed tested for human (or animal) life and could very well be a crumble zone. That alone should tell you enough.

Plus it doesn't get circulation/climate as it's not part of the cabin AND IT'S LITERALLY CALLED A GEAR TUNNEL.

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Yes. Teddy knows that he has to be buckled in.
732A21B0-D5D1-4DF8-AB8E-1288396AD089.jpeg
732A21B0-D5D1-4DF8-AB8E-1288396AD089.jpeg
I think we should all go with the actuary! Nice looking dog!

In all seriousness, this is my biggest gripe about the back seat of the Rivian. Wish the seats folded backward like my Raptor, instead of forward.

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
After watching videos from "Ted Actually Talks" when he's driving with his dog in the gear tunnel, I got to thinking about putting pets in the tunnel and whether or not it's a good idea. What do you think??
Ask yourself this: Would you put your pet in the frunk and travel that way? If you're answer is no, you know your response regarding pets transported inside the gear tunnel (despite the access port).

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Ask yourself this: Would you put your pet in the frunk and travel that way? If you're answer is no, you know your response regarding pets transported inside the gear tunnel (despite the access port).
Nope...the frunk is very different...totally enclosed, dark and no air circulation. I don't see them as the same. You could even put a small electric fan at the opening of the pass-through to circulate air, if necessary. Your pet can see you, you can see them and you can talk to them through the opening. I can't see my cat in her carrier strapped into the back seat any better.

Please understand, I'm not advocating for putting pets in the gear tunnel. I'm just trying to understand why it would be a serious problem. No one has really convinced me yet. Lots of assumptions and knee-jerk reactions.
Are you serious? This stuff is why every trunk has a release inside of it.
Serious? Am I serious? Yes, I'm very serious about discussing this issue. Mainly because people will be doing this!! We're already seeing at least one new owner doing it, so it is very likely there will be more. So why not discuss it?

Super kudos to the folks that posted their pics and experiences with harness/seat belt use for the beautiful pups!!!! They are a great example to others!! I hope more people will consider doing that as well. I'm sure large dogs would be much happier with that setup over the gear tunnel. Dogs love traveling with their family. Most cats are very different.

Last edited:

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Dogs ride in the car with Kurgo harnesses attached to seat belts. I can't imagine putting a dog in the gear tunnel, but to each their own. If safely isn't a concern, vomit would definitely be high on the list of outcomes with our pets.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
While I have my pets ride in the cab with me, I know quite a few people (especially hunters) that transport their hunting dogs in crates in the bed of their truck or even pulling a "crate" trailer. Not sure how the gear tunnel is much different than that.
Sponsored