Sponsored

GEAR GUARD "THINGY" POLL -- Love it, Hate it or Indifferent?

GEAR GUARD "THINGY" POLL -- Love it, Hate it or Indifferent?

• Total voters

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I'm glad to see a number of people embracing the Gear Guard little thingy, not because I like it, but because I'm more on the side of in the big scheme of things it really doesn't matter to me. But, to be honest, my first impression was "Ugh--I don't like it." I don't know why I don't like it, but it just doesn't do anything for me and I lean a bit to the don't like it side. What is it suppose to represent?

For me, I think I'd like to see a choice between different things, like maybe a grizzly bear, cougar, badger, golden eagle, etc. (I think you get my drift).

So, while we sit twiddling our thumbs waiting for our Riv Babies, this is basically another nonsensical poll for something to talk about while we wait.
Like I said, it really isn't important to me in the grand scheme of things, but I think over time I might find it a little irritating to have to look at something I find a bit on the ugly side.

So why even post this poll? Well, I'm wondering if I'm the only one that doesn't find this little character all that appealing.

Rivian R1T R1S GEAR GUARD "THINGY" POLL -- Love it, Hate it or Indifferent? 1633791033592
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'm glad to see a number of people embracing the Gear Guard little thingy, not because I like it, but because I'm more on the side of in the big scheme of things it really doesn't matter to me. But, to be honest, my first impression was "Ugh--I don't like it." I don't know why I don't like it, but it just doesn't do anything for me and I lean a bit to the don't like it side. What is it suppose to represent?

For me, I think I'd like to see a choice between different things, like maybe a grizzly bear, cougar, badger, golden eagle, etc. (I think you get my drift).

So, while we sit twiddling our thumbs waiting for our Riv Babies, this is basically another nonsensical poll for something to talk about while we wait.
Like I said, it really isn't important to me in the grand scheme of things, but I think over time I might find it a little irritating to have to look at something I find a bit on the ugly side.

So why even post this poll? Well, I'm wondering if I'm the only one that doesn't find this little character all that appealing.

1633791033592.png
This creature must be closely related to Bill Walton. If I were snooping around in the back of the truck and this creature started ranting like Walton does during a PAC-12 basketball game, I would run for the hills!

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
There was a thread a while back with discussion of Tesla's easter eggs and fart jokes. I'd much rather see the company be a little more stoic with the vehicle but then again I'm not twenty. Once the company missteps, as it inevitably will (or has) the imbedded playfulness doesn't seem so fun to me anymore.

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director
I somewhat mentioned this in another post but seemed to be in the minority. I'm not a fan. I wouldn't say I HATE it as it's that big a deal to me, but if we could replace it with something else, I'd prefer that.

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer

1633791033592.png
It could have been so much worse ā€¦ LOL

Rivian R1T R1S GEAR GUARD "THINGY" POLL -- Love it, Hate it or Indifferent? 586F3325-220A-42CB-AEBE-0E7DE0EEFF38

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It's fun to have fun sometimes. Usually designers only get to put this sort of thing in hidden spots, like the shark on the size of vauxhaull/opel gloveboxes.

They had to have something attention grabbing to show the security system is active, so why not a samsquanch lookin character with a camera?

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Do you think she turns white and becomes an abominable snowwoman in the winter?

Either way, I think that her name should be s00nie!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Do you think she turns white and becomes an abominable snowwoman in the winter?

Either way, I think that her name should be s00nie!
I mentioned that last night actually. I would absolutely love it if they could straight up license the the abominable snowman from the old stop motion movie for December. That'd be such an awesome Easter egg. Or having it be a little situational aware where it gets hot in the summer.

Also, it's sort of cool how they have an old "film" camera thst matches the vignette theme they like in their marketing videos.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Fits perfectly here in the PNW. A truck with a Sasquatch-type critter protecting it? Yup.
If they were going that route they could have just gone with Squatch. They say he's 'retired' but I think he's really just unemployed :D

ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner
Hate would be an overstatement but Iā€˜m not a fan. Itā€™s not that I mind something fun or playful. I think some of the Tesla easter eggs are fun/clever (although what, there are fart jokes? ugh). But Iā€™m just not a fan of the art or character design. It looks too juvenile? unrefined? Not sure i can put a finger on it. Just donā€™t like it.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
This creature must be closely related to Bill Walton. If I were snooping around in the back of the truck and this creature started ranting like Walton does during a PAC-12 basketball game, I would run for the hills!
#32 could really score.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
My thought - I love it, I think it's a great playful quirk without being a Tesla fart machine, and I think it fits the "adventure" brand nicely. In a vacuum, I'd be all for it.

HOWEVER

I'm pretty concerned that it doesn't effectively signal "you're triggering an active alarm system and being recorded." FWIW the Tesla versions (both the new Portal-ish one and the old HAL one) have the same problem, as does the cutesy-but-low-contrast Dog Mode animation.

These are going to be viewed through windows, probably tinted, with glare and all kinds of other effects obscuring visibility. The semantic goal here is to warn the person that they are being monitored and may trigger an alarm (or in the case of Dog Mode, to please not break a window). Whimsy and entertainment are very low on the list of values here.

I'd much prefer something like a full-width, full-brightness yellow screen with flashing highlights and a "caution" symbol with clear block text warning like "ALARM IS ARMED, RECORDING 360Ā° VIDEO." Then if you want to embed a playful animation in the corner or on the aux (driver) display, go for it. But goal number one is to warn/inform and draw attention to the screen.
Sponsored