First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Audi A7, 1977 Datsun 280z, 2022 Ioniq 5
Occupation
Network Engineer
I have gear guard enabled away from home on my R1T. I've had coworkers come to me and tell me my exterior lights are on on multiple occasions but every time I go to check, there aren't any lights on. This is during the day, bright and sunny.

Is it a feature of gear guard to turn on the lights for certain situation or the cameras are in shadow? Or does anyone know of any other scenario that the lights would just turn on with the truck parked and locked outside?

I've triggered gear guard myself and it does capture me around the vehicle but I haven't managed to trigger any lighting to turn on......
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I have gear guard enabled away from home on my R1T. I've had coworkers come to me and tell me my exterior lights are on on multiple occasions but every time I go to check, there aren't any lights on. This is during the day, bright and sunny.

Is it a feature of gear guard to turn on the lights for certain situation or the cameras are in shadow? Or does anyone know of any other scenario that the lights would just turn on with the truck parked and locked outside?

I've triggered gear guard myself and it does capture me around the vehicle but I haven't managed to trigger any lighting to turn on......
Do you lock your phone in the truck and have phone-as-a-key enabled, perhaps? I have trouble tickets in, but apparently in this scenario, the truck will randomly unlock itself...

OP
OP
chickp

chickp

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Engineer
Yes this is something I do. I guess I never asked if coworkers noticed the doors unlocked... that isn't good at all.
Did you disable the phone-as-key function?
I have to keep my phone in my vehicle due to work...

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Yes this is something I do. I guess I never asked if coworkers noticed the doors unlocked... that isn't good at all.
Did you disable the phone-as-key function?
I have to keep my phone in my vehicle due to work...
Same for me. I used to use the FOB and never noticed this, but since the FOB uses Bluetooth, I can't use that either. Now I use the band and have to disable proximity unlock while at work. I HIGHLY suggest you do the same (someone could easily get in and drivce away since the key is present) until Rivian gets this figured out*. Also, put in a ticket on this and let them know you don't think this is acceptable.

*Some service reps seem to think this is by design, based on the vehicle thinking there is an occupant and unlocking the vehicle 'for safety reasons'. However, I have locked myself in the car for more than an hour and the vehicle never unlocked itself even though it clearly detected me as an occupant.

OP
OP
chickp

chickp

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Engineer
I was told I'd get my band around August due to shortages.
I can use the fob but it too is flaky. I've been caught awkwardly standing next to my truck pressing the unlock on the fob for nearly a minute before it unlocks. I have a ticket in for that issue as that is unacceptable. I'll also voice my concerns over the phone unlocking the vehicle while it is in the car.

Sponsored

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
Is turning the phone off an option when there are other things like bands, the card, the fob that can unlock the Rivian?

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I see a lot of issues like this that make me scratch my head and think isn't this why they delivered to employees first. We all had to wait as the new intern got a truck but the guy that's been waiting 3 years was still waiting?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Is turning the phone off an option when there are other things like bands, the card, the fob that can unlock the Rivian?
The phone is really the only one that can be configured to unlock it by proximity at this time. The others are near field or button press.

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
The phone is really the only one that can be configured to unlock it by proximity at this time. The others are near field or button press.
true...i was just thinking about the case where the powered up phone appears to be randomly unlocking the Rivian from time to time. If it's off - things should stay locked and use other methods to get in the car.

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

just turn off the bluetooth on your phone. I've had to do this as my parking spot is really close at my job and it likes to open and close depending where i am standing, so i just turn off the bluetooth and turn it back on as i am leaving, not a fix, but a band-aid till they figure out the proximity lock/unlock thing

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
My lights randomly go on and off while my truck is locked in the garage. Even when my phone isn't close. My garage cam sends me notifications when it happens because it thinks it's movement. I think it's just some sort of glitch as the truck does sleeping / waking / etc.

E Parx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My lights randomly go on and off while my truck is locked in the garage. Even when my phone isn't close. My garage cam sends me notifications when it happens because it thinks it's movement. I think it's just some sort of glitch as the truck does sleeping / waking / etc.
This. The lights appear to flash when motion is detected in that direction. Not totally clear if intentional or working incorrectly as it happens even when gear guard is off for me. I noticed it last night when I was sitting outside at a brewery with the truck in view. Everytime someone walked by lights flashed.

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
This. The lights appear to flash when motion is detected in that direction. Not totally clear if intentional or working incorrectly as it happens even when gear guard is off for me. I noticed it last night when I was sitting outside at a brewery with the truck in view. Everytime someone walked by lights flashed.
Was it charging? Our truck woke us up at 2:30 in the morning last night flashing the headlights into our bedroom window. Very annoying! We unplugged it and it stopped. Truck was locked.

E Parx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Was it charging? Our truck woke us up at 2:30 in the morning last night flashing the headlights into our bedroom window. Very annoying! We unplugged it and it stopped. Truck was locked.
Hmmm weird. It was not charging when I saw this the other night. It was only the red lights and appeared to only be in the direction of nearby motion but I'll have to pay more attention to be sure if it's that or a software issue.
Sponsored