Sponsored

Gave up on R1S and ordered a 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium today.

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

Reserved R1S in Jan 2022. Never had a delivery window but was hoping for 2023. Seemed like a good deal at pre-march pricing plus tax credit. However - we live in NM, no service center and apparently no real plans to have one here anytime soon. Recently Rivian announced they will not be delivering to places with no service center nearby, and gave us no estimated delivery window or any further info.

We have also considered the Audi Q4 Etron and Ioniq 5. Both seem overpriced and no more tax credit. Also both are pretty new with unknown long-term reliability and possible rapid depreciation. Wife really likes the Audi so we may still end up with one of those down the road.

But for now we decided to get a 4Runner instead. I had a 4Runner years ago and while I have some misgivings about getting another ICE vehicle that gets less than 20 MPG, it costs less than the EV's above while being much more capable with proven reliability and resale value. We may keep it for 2 years, 10 years, who knows...I've had my subaru for 10 years and a lot can change in the next 2 years.

We have solar panels so we could charge an EV for free at home, really wanted to get one, but they are all so dang expensive and/or unattainable that it just doesn't make sense for us right now. Hopefully in a year or two it will.
Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I hope you at least kept your reservation just in case. Unless you need the deposit back it doesn't make much sense to get rid of the reservation until you actually decline when its your time to buy.

Also, since you ordered silver, there's a solid chance you would have been pushed to 2024 anyway even if there was a service center nearby. I don't think there have been any answers yet as to why an unusual number of LA Silver Adventure trim R1S orders have been pushed to 2024.

OP
OP

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

Oh I definitely kept the order! Still hoping to get one....someday! Just decided I can't wait for it anymore, time to trade the subaru for something larger and more capable/comfortable. Was really hoping it would be the R1S and it may still be someday, but with Rivian's poor communication and lack of planning, it was time to move on to something that is actually available. Should have the 4Runner in 4-6 weeks.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I don’t blame you for giving up for now. Rivian did you guys dirty who don’t live “close enough” to a service center. You won’t have any trouble selling the 4 Runner when your R1S is ready.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The 4Runner is an archaic beast but very desirable. It’s bulletproof and still has that legendary Japanese build quality.

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
gave up after 11 months? amateur! :LOL:

but seriously, the 4runner is a solid machine.

tmmcgee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner; Mustang GT; M3; Grand Cherokee, R1T
I could not part with my 06 4Runner (with the 4.7 V8!) when my Rivian came in. They may as well have come from different geological time periods, but both are incredibly awesome vehicles.

Rivian R1T R1S Gave up on R1S and ordered a 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium today. 34E01252-DAC0-41EE-B526-B67BB1781737

OP
OP

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

The 4Runner is an archaic beast but very desirable. It’s bulletproof and still has that legendary Japanese build quality.
True, it is both archaic and indestructible. My 2012 Forester is pretty archaic and underpowered too though so it will still be a big step up for me! I currently don't have a backup camera/navigation/android auto, bluetooth connection takes on average 3-5 tries to connect. Toyota is supposedly coming out with a new version of the 4Runner for 2024 but I decided it's better to buy the tried and true version now than wait for the redesign and all the potential issues that may come with that. The Subaru was the last year before the redesign with CVT etc and has been incredibly reliable over 120K miles.

OP
OP

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

gave up after 11 months? amateur! :LOL:

but seriously, the 4runner is a solid machine.
LOL for sure! I feel for all of you who have been waiting 3-4 years. Waiting/hoping for Rivian to get their sh1t together no longer seems like a viable strategy...hopefully in a couple years they'll put a service center here, and have most of the issues requiring service fixed, and will still honor our pre-march pricing. I did consider using a colorado address to get a vehicle delivered, but that didn't seem wise in the event it actually needed major service, which it seems quite a few do.

OP
OP

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

I could not part with my 06 4Runner (with the 4.7 V8!) when my Rivian came in. They may as well have come from different geological time periods, but both are incredibly awesome vehicles.
Very True! I like the TRD wheels you put on the 4Runner, nice touch! Still trying to decide on upgraded wheels for mine.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

I don’t blame you for giving up for now. Rivian did you guys dirty who don’t live “close enough” to a service center. You won’t have any trouble selling the 4 Runner when your R1S is ready.
Yeah, they did. But may have done us a favor in the end - I'm not sure having a Rivian and living 5+ hours from a service center is a good plan right now. 4Runners do seem to retain resale value better than most vehicles, hopefully that does not change when the new generation comes out. I'm guessing there will be some issues with the new ones that will actually make the older generation more desireable to lots of folks.

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Yeah, they did. But may have done us a favor in the end - I'm not sure having a Rivian and living 5+ hours from a service center is a good plan right now. 4Runners do seem to retain resale value better than most vehicles, hopefully that does not change when the new generation comes out. I'm guessing there will be some issues with the new ones that will actually make the older generation more desireable to lots of folks.
It has me nervous getting one and living less than 2 hours from a SC. And even more nervous taking a trip and being much more distance from a SC.

tmmcgee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner; Mustang GT; M3; Grand Cherokee, R1T
Very True! I like the TRD wheels you put on the 4Runner, nice touch! Still trying to decide on upgraded wheels for mine.
I also put on an Old Man Emu suspension which is about a 2" lift over stock with some KO2s.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Reliable, yes...fun to drive, not a chance. Got my 4Runner in 2016 and did the usual 3" lift, skids/sliders, and beefy tires. It's been fun off-road, but on-road it's just not a great vehicle. It doesn't go, it doesn't turn, and it doesn't stop worth a damn where the R1T/S do things a 7000 lbs vehicle just shouldn't be capable of.

Rivian R1T R1S Gave up on R1S and ordered a 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium today. 1669823099882

OP
OP

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

Reliable, yes...fun to drive, not a chance. Got my 4Runner in 2016 and did the usual 3" lift, skids/sliders, and beefy tires. It's been fun off-road, but on-road it's just not a great vehicle. It doesn't go, it doesn't turn, and it doesn't stop worth a damn where the R1T/S do things a 7000 lbs vehicle just shouldn't be capable of.
Clearly a 4Runner is not going to perform on the road like an R1. But since Rivian won't sell us an R1 anytime soon, and for us functionality, space, and practicality for camping/road trips/ski trips etc is much more important than sports car-like performance, it will do just fine. I'm getting the KDSS system which should help a bit, and I'm pretty sure it will outperform my 10 year old subaru at least!

Also, as I'm sure you're aware, adding all that stuff (heavy bumper, sliders, skid plates, beefy tires) to an already underpowered vehicle is only going to hurt the on-road performance. It's a compromise for sure. I may add some of that as well but will try to keep the added weight to a minimum as I'm not planning any extreme off-roading.

Nice pic by the way, is that what you used to sell the 4Runner? :)
Sponsored