First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
If you look at the Hummer prototype interior, it has 2 rows of buttons below the screen. I cannot confirm it, but it looks like the bottom row has fixed functions labelled on each button and the top row gets tied to what is on the bottom of the screen, just above each button. That gives similar capability to the pure touch screen, but keeps the better tactile feel of real buttons.
Here is a picture:

Rivian R1T R1S Gasp... pure touch interfaces aren't what consumers want 1607711625019
Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Everyone who’s hoping that Rivian will avoid an all-touchscreen approach......

Unless I’m missing something, the vehicles as we’ve seen them are mostly production-spec. And there’s still no physical buttons other than the steering wheel ones.

So unless they redesign the entire dashboard setup, I think 99% of things will be touchscreen controlled.

OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Everyone who’s hoping that Rivian will avoid an all-touchscreen approach......

Unless I’m missing something, the vehicles as we’ve seen them are mostly production-spec. And there’s still no physical buttons other than the steering wheel ones.

So unless they redesign the entire dashboard setup, I think 99% of things will be touchscreen controlled.
Correct, as I reported earlier in this thread, that ship sailed long ago for this generation of product.

bsaik

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Land Rover RR Sport, R1T reservation holder
Correct, as I reported earlier in this thread, that ship sailed long ago for this generation of product.
That sounds great to me! I’m still enduring this every single time I start my RR while I wait for Rivian to get into production-
Rivian R1T R1S Gasp... pure touch interfaces aren't what consumers want A0A8F314-42ED-4828-A7FC-06ADDF77689A

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Surely Vegas betting odds -- if they existed for this -- would say you would win.

I'm throwing a hail mary to the internet winds in the hope that Rivian is listening: keep some physical buttons!

People will always want to run windshield wipers, turn on heat when it's cold or turn on AC when it's hot, adjust volume, and other capabilities. There is no risk of obsolescence for those functions.

And no, I do not want to have to engage a creepy, voice-activated capability that records and tracks everything I do if I want to implement those functions in a hands-free way.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I'm throwing a hail mary to the internet winds in the hope that Rivian is listening: keep some physical buttons!

People will always want to run windshield wipers, turn on heat when it's cold or turn on AC when it's hot, adjust volume, and other capabilities. There is no risk of obsolescence for those functions.
To the first point: It’s totally ok to hope that they’ll add (not keep, since they never had any to begin with) physical buttons, but just know that they 100% won’t. Ain’t gonna happen. No way, no how.

BUT, to the second point, you’re in luck! The windshield wipers are controlled from a stalk on the steering wheel (like most other cars). And the steering wheel buttons will almost certainly allow you to control volume, change tracks, etc.

And actually, I could see them allowing you to control infotainment related affairs (AC, Nav, etc) using the steering wheels scrolls/buttons as well. Tbh, I think that’s as close as you’re gonna get to physical controls ?
Sponsored