Sponsored

Gas-in Electric (as opposed to Plug-in Hybrid)

OP
OP
carl

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, VW Atlas, Volvo V60 Polestar
Clubs

I think you're over-worried. I just did a 6000 mile roadtrip in a Taycan and my longest days at 85+ mph (12 hours of driving not charging) I stopped 3 times for 15-30 mins). That's a lot of driving. Towing you'll obviously use a lot more but store some tv shows or games on an iPad and it's not that big of a deal.
I'll have to pass that on to my sister-in-law who just got a Taycan a month ago. She has really been freaking out and has had two trips now where she got home with less than 10 miles of range left. I think it's adding the mindset of having charge that will take some getting used to.
Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
I'll have to pass that on to my sister-in-law who just got a Taycan a month ago. She has really been freaking out and has had two trips now where she got home with less than 10 miles of range left. I think it's adding the mindset of having charge that will take some getting used to.
If she has the larger pack she should have great range, I definitely used Range mode a lot and it works nice (lower definitely gives more range). A lot of it really is just habit and such. Just knowing your car and knowing that WORST CASE you could go like 45 and get a LOT more range.(I never had to do that on this trip) Once I stayed at a friends kinda away from any superchargers, no town chargers working. They only had a 120v and it it failed to charge over night. So I left with like 6% and got to the supercharger with 0 miles because I just slowed down knowing it would be a stretch. Model X was by far my most inefficient car too.

I'll add that the Rivian's true range has a lot to do with - did they go Tesla route and go for best LOOKING range(with 5 cycle EPA) or did they do like Porsche and do 2 cycle where 300 will be easily attainable.

Rivian R1T R1S Gas-in Electric (as opposed to Plug-in Hybrid) DSC00051-3

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I'll add that the Rivian's true range has a lot to do with - did they go Tesla route and go for best LOOKING range(with 5 cycle EPA) or did they do like Porsche and do 2 cycle where 300 will be easily attainable.
Rivian used the 5 cycle test, but that is not the major factor where Tesla makes up ground on the EPA test.
Part of setting up the dyno is doing a coastdown test, and Tesla has a specific "Coastdown Mode" that is enabled for this measurement that closes all lovers/vents, disables all pumps/cooling and a few other things to optimize the results.

Audi, Kandi and newer VW tests are 5 cycle.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Rivian used the 5 cycle test, but that is not the major factor where Tesla makes up ground on the EPA test.
Part of setting up the dyno is doing a coastdown test, and Tesla has a specific "Coastdown Mode" that is enabled for this measurement that closes all lovers/vents, disables all pumps/cooling and a few other things to optimize the results.

Surprise! Tesla wants to over promise and under deliver for marketing purposes. I really wish they would let their very good engineering stand on its own and not play these games. Or better yet, I wish the EPA tests actually provided a relatively standard result across brands.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF

I would say they both contribute. Porsche definitely is the most undersold on EPA. You can look at a blind chart of real world vs EPA % difference and call out the Taycan rows with no question.

Sponsored

OP
OP
carl

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

@Mysta
That's a great shot! Looks like about a 10 second shutter and f/16ish? Is this somewhere in the Rockies, a bit up north?

OP
OP
carl

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Well I figured out a way to somewhat solve my range dilemma of the R1S for longer trips. Added a R1T with the Max Pack for me since my wife will have the R1S. After watching all of the review videos over the past week, I couldn't help my self, had to have one for my self as well.
Sponsored