Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Interesting they didn’t have to press an buttons on the garage door opener, itself. I thought all modern rolling-code openers required that? The Liftmaster remote shown seemed pretty modern.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Interesting they didn’t have to press an buttons on the garage door opener, itself. I thought all modern rolling-code openers required that? The Liftmaster remote shown seemed pretty modern.
Yeah, I’m surprised. If it’s able to figure out the proper code sequence without using the Learn button, makes you wonder how bad the security on the door code is.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Just put a new Liftmaster opener on one of my doors a couple months ago and programmed it to my cars with just the remote. Can add / delete remotes to the opener at the control module thingy on the wall in the garage, I think the only time I'd need to push the program or reset buttons on the opener itself is if I want to do a master reset of it. HomeLink apparently understands what it needs from the remote to also handle the code sequencing. This is actually pretty low-tech stuff, the security is basic at best. You get 100X better security from a bluetooth car fob and yet thieves can still relay comms between the fob and a car to steal it -- hence why Teslas, Porsches and others are all adding PIN to drive features..

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Just put a new Liftmaster opener on one of my doors a couple months ago and programmed it to my cars with just the remote. Can add / delete remotes to the opener at the control module thingy on the wall in the garage, I think the only time I'd need to push the program or reset buttons on the opener itself is if I want to do a master reset of it. HomeLink apparently understands what it needs from the remote to also handle the code sequencing. This is actually pretty low-tech stuff, the security is basic at best. You get 100X better security from a bluetooth car fob and yet thieves can still relay comms between the fob and a car to steal it -- hence why Teslas, Porsches and others are all adding PIN to drive features..
Weird. I've had Genie and Craftsman/Liftmaster (both Chamberlain) openers, and they've all required me to press "learn" on the opener when programming homelink.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

We know from the FCC filings that Rivian is using a Chamberlain transmitter, not HomeLink, so it may already be aware of the code sequencing requirements.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Weird. I've had Genie and Craftsman/Liftmaster (both Chamberlain) openers, and they've all required me to press "learn" on the opener when programming homelink.
The opener I replaced worked like that... I guess the newer ones are "smart". This one does all kinds of things and links with HomeKit, Google Home, Alexa and all the other automation stuff.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
We know from the FCC filings that Rivian is using a Chamberlain transmitter, not HomeLink, so it may already be aware of the code sequencing requirements.
Most HomeLink units I’ve used from recent model years also can detect directly from the remote. I only had to use the pairing button on the unit in older model years. I think this has more to do with advancements on that end rather than the opener itself.

As for the amount of paired doors, the fact sheet on the Chamberlain ARQ2 states it can store up to 16 unique codes. Whether or not Rivian supports that many on the software side is anyone’s guess until the OTA is broadly released.

One thing that would be cool is if Rivian let you specify whether the “door” is a garage or a gate and show different icons. It is nice that they let you name them. I imagine Alexa integration will be available as well.

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Well…I have the garage door…

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Someone else’s idea but I fully support it. Add an automatic open option based on GPS. Would work better for remote gates but either way.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Let's get that PIN

Curney1

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram truck
Occupation
Self
This is Forrest Edge in the video right?
Sponsored