Sponsored

Future V2H charging and any impact on warranty?

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
With an upcoming move in the next few months, part of my home searching includes checking the Sun score on Zillow for every listing since I will most likely be installing solar. I'm on the fence about adding storage. I would love to, but the best systems out there are still pretty pricey for storage. I know the primary draw for V2H is for power outages. But there is also the potential to use it for your daily overnight power source. Not sure if it was on these forums or others, but I have read that might not be a good idea due to the resulting accelerated decrease in battery capacity. Which led me to question if Rivian would ever see this as a warranty voiding practice for the battery?
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I suspect the battery draw in the V2H case is much lower than doing 0-60 in 3 seconds so I wouldn't anticipate any warranty issues should such a capability become reality.

Personally, I would consider V2H for emergency backup (such as with the power outages we had in TX last winter) but I wouldn't be planning to use my vehicle for daily overnight power. What do you do when the vehicle is in the shop being repaired? When you decide to go on vacation? When you drive for an out-of-town business trip?

OP
OP
MoreTrout

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
I suspect the battery draw in the V2H case is much lower than doing 0-60 in 3 seconds so I wouldn't anticipate any warranty issues should such a capability become reality.

Personally, I would consider V2H for emergency backup (such as with the power outages we had in TX last winter) but I wouldn't be planning to use my vehicle for daily overnight power. What do you do when the vehicle is in the shop being repaired? When you decide to go on vacation? When you drive for an out-of-town business trip?
I'm not talking about an off-grid setup. I'll still be grid connected so it's simple, if the truck isn't there use the grid.

I'm not sure if the peak power draw like the 0-60 is the main issue for the battery degradation. My limited understanding is that it is more a result of the frequency of charging/discharging the battery. Using it as a daily power source would therefore have more of an impact than the short duration peaks. I could be wrong on this and I'm sure there are those engineer types out there to correct me.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm not talking about an off-grid setup. I'll still be grid connected so it's simple, if the truck isn't there use the grid.

I'm not sure if the peak power draw like the 0-60 is the main issue for the battery degradation. My limited understanding is that it is more a result of the frequency of charging/discharging the battery. Using it as a daily power source would therefore have more of an impact than the short duration peaks. I could be wrong on this and I'm sure there are those engineer types out there to correct me.
I believe it’s an issue of high current in/out over short periods of time.

lots of drag racing, for example can be hard on the battery in a similar way to DCFC. Both are trying to shove a lot of electrons around — the difference of in vs out is less important.

I view this issue much in the same way as our personal health. Eat right and exercise most of the time, but sometimes you just need to take a couple bites of ice cream. It may not be the most optimal thing for your health, but life needs to be lived. Same with battery health. Charge slowly and don’t let the state get too low or high when you can…. But sometimes you need to take a trip or get in front of that minivan and that’s also life.
Sponsored