Sponsored

Future of All Charging Locations? What would you want to see at them?

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
How about Tesla and the other Automakers come to an agreement and work together. ?‍♂
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

You both are correct. Along the interstate we are all gonna be using the EA at the Walmart most of the time, that's just where the infrastructure is built out at the moment. That's fine. What I think the Rivian faithful are looking for in the RAN is something as a L3 solution in the nearest town to the national park, trail head, etc. A place that EA isn't going to view as a priority to building a charger currently, but these are the places that will allow us to take an EV into the park, go to the cabin, or whatever.

I can't see too many L3 chargers too far off paved roads, but I think that is where more plentiful L2 at the campsites, parking down in the parks, or cabins will fill in nicely
Due to the needs and complexities of DCFC Level 3 charging, I'm not sure how much we'll ever see away from the pavement. Fortunately, 220 (or 221, whatever it takes) is already in many RV areas, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

I hope I'm wrong about my DCFC off-road comment, but we'll see.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

How about Tesla and the other Automakers come to an agreement and work together. ?‍♂
Heresy!!!

Actually, wouldn't that be great!

(waiting for Tesla owners to weigh in....)

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Heresy!!!

its going to happen eventually. ?‍♂ Of course they need to screw around for another decade and waste a bunch of $$$ converting to a universal system. That being said I completely understand why Tesla would want other manufacturers to take on its share of maintenance and future development

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Heresy!!!

There are two kinds of Tesla owners. Those who only own Teslas and those who also own or plan to own CCS vehicles as well. I'm in the latter group.

Tesla has always said that they would allow other OEMs to use the SC network. The other OEMs would, of course, have to share in the expense of operating, maintaining and building out the network. I have no doubt that there have been negotiations between other OEMs and Tesla and as no partnerships have emerged I conclude that once the realities of what is involved in participating in the SC network are laid out the other OEMs run away. We need to keep in mind that the SC network is a marketing tool - not a profit center. To understand the significance of that run the same trip with a Tesla and an RiT through ABRP and compare the costs.

This is my opinion on how Tesla and the OEMs view participation by others in the SC net. Now how about the drivers? Just as all Tesla drivers do not vote for the same candidate in an election so do I think there will be divergent opinions on whether other cars should use the Tesla SCs. And that's going to depend on where people drive. As the SC in Baie St. Paul was totally empty every time I have been to it and remained totally empty (excepting me) for the entire time I was there I would have no objection to allowing other OEM's cars to use it. Paramus N.J. is another matter entirely. I've never been there when it wasn't swamped. I would not want to allow other makes in there. As I can't see a way to tell RJ his owneres can use one SC but not another and have him agree to that I guess I don't see how other OEMs could share the SC network at least today. When they treble the number of stalls at Paramus or build another station 10 miles up the road that may change.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

There are two kinds of Tesla owners. Those who only own Teslas and those who also own or plan to own CCS vehicles as well. I'm in the latter group.

Tesla has always said that they would allow other OEMs to use the SC network. The other OEMs would, of course, have to share in the expense of operating, maintaining and building out the network. I have no doubt that there have been negotiations between other OEMs and Tesla and as no partnerships have emerged I conclude that once the realities of what is involved in participating in the SC network are laid out the other OEMs run away. We need to keep in mind that the SC network is a marketing tool - not a profit center. To understand the significance of that run the same trip with a Tesla and an RiT through ABRP and compare the costs.

This is my opinion on how Tesla and the OEMs view participation by others in the SC net. Now how about the drivers? Just as all Tesla drivers do not vote for the same candidate in an election so do I think there will be divergent opinions on whether other cars should use the Tesla SCs. And that's going to depend on where people drive. As the SC in Baie St. Paul was totally empty every time I have been to it and remained totally empty (excepting me) for the entire time I was there I would have no objection to allowing other OEM's cars to use it. Paramus N.J. is another matter entirely. I've never been there when it wasn't swamped. I would not want to allow other makes in there. As I can't see a way to tell RJ his owneres can use one SC but not another and have him agree to that I guess I don't see how other OEMs could share the SC network at least today. When they treble the number of stalls at Paramus or build another station 10 miles up the road that may change.
AJ,

Great insights. Being a non-Tesla guy and not knowing the different SC use patterns, it makes sense that Tesla owners would be divided on the prospect of sharing their coveted stations with others. You also make a compelling case as to why we have yet to see another company sign up to join Tesla's SC network. As you said, all that would change as that network and the EV world evolves.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS

I have to agree with everything you said. Well done.
in California at this point I would not like to see non Tesla vehIcles using the SC network, because they’re are so many Tesla’s now here and I get free charging for life, and I don’t want to wait.

in the future it makes perfect sense to have other manufacturers join the Tesla SC Network and build out the system. funding Is the key factor. Back when Tesla was building the network, and everybody was predicting they would go bankrupt and they almost did, nobody else was building EVs. It was Tesla that forced other manufacturers to stop, look and learn from what they were doing. And finally they were forced into the game of making EV’s.

I of course can charge anywhere now which is a big advantage. Let’s all hope that in 10-15 years from now things will change for the better.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Just to add this is already beginning overseas. Looks like Tesla will be sharing their super chargers in Norway and some other European countries

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
In Germany the govenment leaned on Tesla telling them that as they took public funds to build the network there they were going to have to make it available to the public. I don't see how anyone could argue that this isn't fair. Telsa made a compact with the devil. Now they have to give the devil his due.

On another note:: I had to venture today into territory with no SC available. I must say I was pretty nervous about leaving the warm embrace of the SC network. But it worked out OK. Got the Circuit Electriqe charger going on the third try. There was nothing wrong with the charger - I didn;t shove the connector intothe adapter vigorously enough. I also must say that were EA, EvGO etc. rated as reliable as Circuit ELectrique (part of Hydro Quebec) I wouldn't be nearly as nervous about charging the Rivian as I am.

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs