Sponsored

Future of All Charging Locations? What would you want to see at them?

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I have thought about this ever since I got my Bolt. Opportunity awaits you younger folks! I'd look into doing this myself if I wasn't at retirement age.
Elon is right on target, yet again. There is so much money to be made here as EV adoption soars.
Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

^^ That makes sense but is probably a bit extreme, I say give the contract to various companies that have a decent coffee shop, food, and minor supplies. Basically a Sheetz/Wawa but a bit more upscale imho would be pretty awesome. Going to a walmart every time we need a charge at a EA station which seems to be the case is a bit underwhelming lol.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Maybe a stupid question, but why not put solar panels on top of the building as well? It also looks like they could probably get away with at least 1 more row of panels over the parking/charging spots on the right. Maximize the solar>battery potential for some amount of peak demand smoothing!

Sponsored

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Coffee shop, sandwich shop, burger joint and frozen yogurt are what I'd like to see at a charging station... all with restrooms please!

I've only been to a few Tesla Superchargers, but the one in Indio, CA has most of these within a few steps. Makes for a pleasant stop.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The future is not yet here. This is state of the art for solar. Great idea but nowhere near enough capacity for effective charging:

https://beamforall.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/BEAM-EV-ARC-2020-Info-Sheet-v1.1.pdf
Neat gadget but look at it's numbers: 4.3 kW. In locale that delivers 6 hours full sun equivalent (summer) per day the operator would collect 25.6 kWh in a day. That's enough to charge 1 model X 25% (87 miles). Make the array 25 times as big (5 timed the width and 5 times the length and you could charge 6 model X fully in a day if you had say 400 kWh storage per array.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Neat gadget but look at it's numbers: 4.3 kW. In locale that delivers 6 hours full sun equivalent (summer) per day the operator would collect 25.6 kWh in a day. That's enough to charge 1 model X 25% (87 miles). Make the array 25 times as big (5 timed the width and 5 times the length and you could charge 6 model X fully in a day if you had say 400 kWh storage per array.
Uhh, that was my point.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I have thought about this ever since I got my Bolt. Opportunity awaits you younger folks! I'd look into doing this myself if I wasn't at retirement age.
Elon is right on target, yet again. There is so much money to be made here as EV adoption soars.
just get some Taco trucks or have a bunch of food trucks with covered dining area. No need to complicate it ?

Sponsored

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

just get some Taco trucks or have a bunch of food trucks with covered dining area. No need to complicate it ?
I love the idea of tacos and food trucks, but at my age it's important to keep it kinda bland on road trips...

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
What you want and need is charging station ]s where you drive normally. That is not. is the woods some where.

Just copy Tesla. They figured it out 12 years ago.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I think you have missed the point that Rivian is aimed at the adventure travel market which wants to go beyond where one drives normally. Where you drive normally is already pretty well covered (though improvement is clearly still needed). Thus Rivian wants coverage in out of the way places so that its buyers have the same confidence that they can get to those places that Tesla drivers enjoy when they go to the places they go normally.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Uhh, that was my point.
That's nice.

To put it into further perspective let's suppose we had a 30 stall station (a big one) and that it was loaded for 2 hrs in the AM rush, 2 hrs in the lunch hour rush and 2 hrs in the PM rush and that during each of those two hour periods each stall charged 4 100 kWh vehicles half way taking 1/2 hour for each. The energy needed for each of these stalls would then be 12*50 = 600 kWh. If we have 6 hrs MSE then the array must be capable of producing 100 kW in full sun. Supposing combined cell and converter efficiency of 20% we then need 500 m^2 of panels for each stall. For 30 stalls we need 15,000 m^2. That's 1.5 hectare equal to 3.7 acres.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
The restaurant in Santa Monica is just there for Tesla shills to be seen at, completely out of the way as a charger

I do like the idea with the bigger SC that has the lounge, I think it's in Kettleman City.

A few rows of covered chargers, larger stalls, pass through stalls on the ends for towing vehicles, and a simple lounge with AC, bathrooms, and a small convenience store assortment of food. That would be ideal for me. Small creature comforts and then get back on the road
Sponsored

Last edited: