Sponsored

FUTURE CHARGING INFRASTRUCTURE: What to expect. Great info for new EV owners.

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Well perhaps it is because of pilot training or perhaps because of the ubiquity of Tesla chargers or perhaps because of engineering background or maybe all three that I simply did not find the paradigm shift major at all. I found myself wondering what all the fuss was about. Did you really find it shocking.

I strongly encourage planning. If I had had a tool like ABRP for planning trips in ICE cars or airplanes I would have used it.

Because of the concerns I see here I approached a guy charging a Bolt at a rest stop and asked his impressions of the CCS network. He said in essence "No problem". I am hoping my first trips in my R1T will not turn out to be shockers!
Shocking...well, maybe not, but I see a lot of posts from new EV owners that just didn't realize they couldn't quickly/totally "fill up" whenever they stopped to charge and ended up turning a 6 hour trip into a 10 hour trip because they kept charging to 100%. That turns a potentially very peasant EV trip into a nightmare, when a little understanding, learning and planning saves you from that problem.
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I'm pretty sure he is talking about charging up to 40% in 20 min.. I could be wrong.

What new EV owners need to learn, and current EV owners need to remember, is to protect the battery the speed of charging (DCFC) ramps DOWN a lot from 40%-80% full, then drastically drops further from 80%-100%. So, depending on the need (distance) to get where you are going, or your next charge stop, there are situations where charging fast to just 40% would be your best strategy for travel time. Some people plan long distance trips in 40% charging blocks due to the charge time variations.

It's a new very-different world folks, and you really need to think differently about refueling. You do get use to it, though. But, there is a learning curve. Don't expect to jump in your Rivian and go another 300 miles after every DCFC session, unless you have a lot of extra time to sit and wait for a 100% charge. Timewise, it's more efficient to stop more frequently and charge at the faster speeds.
You missed my point, I was talking about recharging the battery in the charging station. If the battery in the charging station is depleted by 50KWH (i.e. charging a car with low SoC and at 150KW for 20 minutes like the E-Tron), then that 50KWH needs to be replenished inside the charger before the next E-Tron can charge at 150KW on that same charger. This has nothing to do with the SoC of the car being charged.

The E-Tron will hold 150KW out to 70% and even my Mach E will hold >80KW to 80%.

At any rate it is snake oil because once the charging station battery is depleted, the charger becomes limited to 20KW (equal to the input power) until that battery inside can be recharged. It takes time to store that energy.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
This was a really good discussion of the future of EV charging (6/27/21). If the Rivian will be your first experience with EV charging, this may give you a good idea of what you will be dealing with on road trips. If you already own an EV and travel very much, you will benefit from the ideas discussed about future ideas for dealing with what will be a huge demand.

Personally, I currently do 98% of my charging at home, but that will change when I get my R1T. We hope to travel a lot more, so will be more dependent on DCFC.

Hope this info helps some of you to better understand what you are getting into with an EV. It's a different mindset than a "fill up the tank" when you stop in an ICE. There is a learning curve involved and don't think of stopping and "filling" the battery full every time you stop.

How Will We Charge Millions of EVs??
I see FreeWire is boasting a relationship with Rivian --see attached image from FreeWire's website. Anyone have more information on this relationship? Interested in facts/evidence more than opinions.

Rivian R1T R1S FUTURE CHARGING INFRASTRUCTURE: What to expect. Great info for new EV owners. Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 11.13.21 AM

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
So (.8 - .2)/(31.5/60) = 1.14C. Actually not that impressive but he certainly makes it seem so. Starting at 0 he got (0.8 - 0)/(37/60) = 1.30C. Again, not that stellar in terms of charge rate. Translated to range the first number implies 1.46% range ( 7.3 miles re 500) added per minute. In a nominal half hour charging session on the road (starting from 20%) one could expect to add about 220 miles which is nice. It would take me 42 min to do that in my X.
Sponsored