Sponsored

Full size spare wheel / tire option for R1S

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
We have taken 6 people (3 couples) on challenging off-road adventures at least once a year in our LR3. I’m hoping there is room behind the R1S 3rd row for a full-size spare standing up. On a positive note, with the Rivian our off-road kit should fit in the frunk with room to spare.
You could also probably fit your recovery gear in the spare tire well, if you pull that in favour of a full size spare behind the seat.

It currently has a check engine light for a misfire in cold temps within the first 1000 revs when starting, but it drives fine and passed a smog test in warmer weather so I’m leaving it alone.
thanks to the transitive properties of having been owned by BMW for a time, the German car ownership maxim of always leaving one thing broken applies to land rovers ?
Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I've long been an advocate of Rivian doing a swivel like mechanism for the rear door/hatch to hold a full size spare akin to how many Jeeps have it on their back end. This would be something I'd highly expect from a vehicle costing $75k+. So far Rivian has been silent about the suggestion

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Are you saying as long as diameter matches, thread pattern does not matter?
A tidbit from the Rivian web site - R1S "inflates to full size". I interpret that to mean full outside diameter, but everything else is likely smaller, cheaper, thinner, lighter, less. The tread pattern should not matter from an essential functionality viewpoint.

Rivian R1T R1S Full size spare wheel / tire option for R1S 1643380213943

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Is that original equipment?
Yes, the vehicle came from the factory with air suspension. This provides great handling (for a ~3 ton vehicle with a higher center of gravity than a Rivian), fantastic ride quality, and off-road ground clearance that regularly amazes people. It’s why I can’t believe that some people compare the R1T to a Lightning without talking about the benefits of the Rivian’s suspension.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, the lack of a full-size spare for the R1S is a problem for some of us which will probably be solved once people start taking delivery and measuring/experimenting.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

A tidbit from the Rivian web site - R1S "inflates to full size". I interpret that to mean full outside diameter, but everything else is likely smaller, cheaper, thinner, lighter, less.
This is the real issue for those of us who intend to go off road. It could be that on the way to a destination we’ll drive over many things which won‘t damage a regular tire but which WILL damage a thinner inflatable spare. So, when we finally encounter something which damages a regular tire, retracing our steps means that we’ll almost certainly ruin the inflatable spare, too. Oh, and we’ll probably be stuck at that point, too. I say that because even if we decide to keep going on a rim with a flat, we may now lack the ground clearance to get over obstacles between us and pavement.

Reactions: Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Yes, the vehicle came from the factory with air suspension. This provides great handling (for a ~3 ton vehicle with a higher center of gravity than a Rivian), fantastic ride quality, and off-road ground clearance that regularly amazes people. It’s why I can’t believe that some people compare the R1T to a Lightning without talking about the benefits of the Rivian’s suspension.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, the lack of a full-size spare for the R1S is a problem for some of us which will probably be solved once people start taking delivery and measuring/experimenting.
231K with original air suspension gives me hope. I was under impression that they won’t last more than a couple of years. And considered lightening not having one a plus but your experience is putting my mind at ease a bit.

The full size spare tire is one of the major reasons I am still considering R1T otherwise R1S with longer roof for my kayak and larger interior space, shorter length makes more sense for me. Especially if it is wide enough for a drywall.

CS said you can use the inflatable just like your regular tire with no limitation on speed, time, …. I doubt that is true. I can’t wait to see real owner reviews and off road experience with R1S.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This is the real issue for those of us who intend to go off road. It could be that on the way to a destination we’ll drive over many things which won‘t damage a regular tire but which WILL damage a thinner inflatable spare. So, when we finally encounter something which damages a regular tire, retracing our steps means that we’ll almost certainly ruin the inflatable spare, too. Oh, and we’ll probably be stuck at that point, too. I say that because even if we decide to keep going on a rim with a flat, we may now lack the ground clearance to get over obstacles between us and pavement.
There are plenty of 3rd party solutions to the problem to carry a full size spare externally if that's a major concern. Lots of receiver solutions or bolt on solutions, and you don't have to lose the ability to trailer, or carry bikes. Take it off while at home to save weight, put it on for off-road trips. Best of both worlds?
Rivian R1T R1S Full size spare wheel / tire option for R1S 1643395043837
Rivian R1T R1S Full size spare wheel / tire option for R1S 1643395158756

Rivian R1T R1S Full size spare wheel / tire option for R1S 1643395218393
Rivian R1T R1S Full size spare wheel / tire option for R1S 1643395268775

Rivian R1T R1S Full size spare wheel / tire option for R1S 1643395369382

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

There are plenty of 3rd party solutions to the problem to carry a full size spare externally if that's a major concern. Lots of receiver solutions or bolt on solutions, and you don't have to lose the ability to trailer, or carry bikes. Take it off while at home to save weight, put it on for off-road trips. Best of both worlds?
1643395043837.png
1643395158756.png

1643395218393.png
1643395268775.png

1643395369382.png
I’m open to various possibilities. I’d have to see what it does to the departure angle and range if it creates more drag.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
We have taken 6 people (3 couples) on challenging off-road adventures at least once a year in our LR3. I’m hoping there is room behind the R1S 3rd row for a full-size spare standing up. On a positive note, with the Rivian our off-road kit should fit in the frunk with room to spare.
I was assuming there is a lot of baggage when more than 5 people go wild :) But yes, your theory would be the perfect situation where the full space is standing up. Also depending on where the small spare is, you could put stuff in it's place.

given the rear design being square'ish and deep,and with the way the rear window closes, I am sure it would be fit a tire standing up.

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
1643395043837.png
1643395158756.png

1643395218393.png
1643395268775.png

1643395369382.png

This is what I was talking about earlier, but instead of being a 3rd party add-on, it should be a standard feature for a $75k+ vehicle.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
This is what I was talking about earlier, but instead of being a 3rd party add-on, it should be a standard feature for a $75k+ vehicle.
Also, we still don't know if the aftermarket will interfere with any sensors.
I also keep asking CS about an OEM part, but no clear answer.
Even in the Beckenridge event, you can see people getting Flats in the middle of a trail, I highly doubt a "donut" will be able to stand another 1/2 of the trail in that event.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I’m open to various possibilities. I’d have to see what it does to the departure angle and range if it creates more drag.
The air behind the lift gate is already separated (see image below) so will not add anything to the drag. Doubt if it impacts departure angle either based on where the bumper is and the height of the spare location.

The biggest hit will be from the added weight.

Rivian R1T R1S Full size spare wheel / tire option for R1S 1643571503084

Last edited:

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The air behind the lift gate is already separated (see image below) so will not add anything to the drag. Doubt if it impacts departure angle either based on where the bumper is and the height of the spare location.

The biggest hit will be from the added weight.

1643571503084.png
There’s no perfect solution, only the best compromise for each of us.

Storing in the cargo area means it is secure and without impacting the exterior with the cost of cargo space and, possibly, rear visibility.

Storing on a bumper or hitch mount carrier means it isn’t taking up cargo space but with a possible cost of blocking sensors and/or cameras, relocation of the license plate, difficulty accessing the tailgate, and, depending on the design, impacting the departure angle.

Storing on a roof rack leaves the cargo volume untouched and the tailgate functions as intended in all ways but with a cost of a reduction in range and difficulty lifting to store and retrieve.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
If Grand Cherokee can fit it in there, R1S 5 seater should be able to do it as well. I hope the fact that no one has seen one, means that there is still hope that they are working on making R1S an adventure SUV.

Rivian R1T R1S Full size spare wheel / tire option for R1S 1643582523892
Sponsored