Sponsored

Full size spare external placement

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
A lot of trucks these days have spares on the back... thinking Defender, Jeep, pretty much everything that is supposed to go off-road. Any chance we'll be able to get done kind of accessory to allow us to do that on the R1S? Wonder how that would affect drag? Else I guess we're looking at putting a full size spare in a roof rack?
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
A lot of trucks these days have spares on the back... thinking Defender, Jeep, pretty much everything that is supposed to go off-road. Any chance we'll be able to get done kind of accessory to allow us to do that on the R1S? Wonder how that would affect drag? Else I guess we're looking at putting a full size spare in a roof rack?
I'm waiting for an accessory from Rivian itself since I don't want to block any sensors or cameras, but there is this type of solution for after market.
https://offbeatoverland.com/products/rigid-armor-spare-tire-swing-out-hitch-carrier-toyota-rav4

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I would hope it would be something more akin to how Jeep has theirs.
Rivian R1T R1S Full size spare external placement 1631760176387

But I'd settle for roof top mounting as well with the racks Rivian has. But the R1S definitely needs a full tire, not that spare semi-tire caca.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Sponsored

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
swing out carriers are also very un-aerodynamic and drop range more than needed. My understanding was the R1S has a mini spare somewhere, least that is what I got from the configuration tool

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
swing out carriers are also very un-aerodynamic and drop range more than needed. My understanding was the R1S has a mini spare somewhere, least that is what I got from the configuration tool
The compact spare will probably be under the cargo floor inside the back like it is in most SUVs. The reason for the deflated compact spare is that a full-size won't fit in the existing space. This is how my Q5 is set up as well. The spare deflates and the sidewalls fold in, so the tire has a smaller diameter than when inflated.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Haha, yeah, already bookmarked! If someone points me to a more robust rig, I may consider something else, but this looks robust and super flexible. They have a massive 84"x62" option, that I have to imagine will utilize the front/read crossbar anchor points. And accessories for recovery tracks, jacks, and even a spare wheel (lol, it's 4 eye bolts and 2 straps for $100 though, won't be getting that option).

And OMG, look at what I found......
Rivian R1T R1S Full size spare external placement 1631891642886

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Haha, yeah, already bookmarked! If someone points me to a more robust rig, I may consider something else, but this looks robust and super flexible. They have a massive 84"x62" option, that I have to imagine will utilize the front/read crossbar anchor points. And accessories for recovery tracks, jacks, and even a spare wheel (lol, it's 4 eye bolts and 2 straps for $100 though, won't be getting that option).

And OMG, look at what I found......
1631891642886.png
Check out frontrunner for a more robust roof platform

Mcdoo

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo, expedition
Occupation
Engineer

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Check out frontrunner for a more robust roof platform
Yeah, they have a lot more options, I'll have to take a look more at them as delivery gets closer. I just am not sure how that would mount to the existing rack/crossbars on the Rivian. Why I started at Yakima, since they made the crossbar system (which actually seems to be custom). Plus, I don't know if I'll end up getting serious enough into off-road adventuring that I'll need any more than what I could get with the Yakima system, between the cage and a box or two.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Just make sure you know what the weight limits are for the Rivian crossbar attachments and crossbars you're using!

The strength of a [rooftop system] is no higher than it's weakest [component], as the old saying goes. :)

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The compact spare will probably be under the cargo floor inside the back like it is in most SUVs. The reason for the deflated compact spare is that a full-size won't fit in the existing space. This is how my Q5 is set up as well. The spare deflates and the sidewalls fold in, so the tire has a smaller diameter than when inflated.
Does Audi include a bag or something for the full-size flat tire and wheel after it has been removed from your Q5? I’m not too keen on the Rivian compact spare because it may not be up to the task of getting me back out of wherever we are when off-roading.

Then your comment made me think, “So what do you do with your flat if it doesn’t fit in the space the compact spare occupied?”

I’m guessing I’ll have to put the full-size flat inside the SUV, but it is going to be filthy and/or wet. I’m hoping Rivian includes a full-size tire bag to minimize the mess if we get the compact spare as an option. If not I’ll be looking for something which keeps the mess in while allowing a person to pick it up and throw it in the back… assuming I have space for it. If I have to go that route I may forego the compact spare entirely if I can purchase a jacking puck to use with our existing bottle jack since there isn’t much else I’d need. I’ll just keep a full-size spare in a bag in the cargo area. I wish the frunk could hold a full-size spare.

This is giving me a newfound appreciation of our LR3’s under-vehicle full-size spare which I’ve had to use on a couple occasions now.
Sponsored