Sponsored

Front driver's side clunking noise - malformed front strut?

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
For those of you dealing with the front driver's side clunky suspension- has anyone ever got it fixed? My truck is still at SC. I did see this where someone had a malformed front strut replaced that seemed to fix the noise.

Rivian R1T R1S Front driver's side clunking noise -  malformed front strut? 1676478737330
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I am really hoping that Rivian gets to a point where the service teams can actually know what is normal and what can be fixed. Mine was deemed normal. I don't want to pay to transport it to a service center so they can tell me it is normal again.

CascadianApe

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Ops
For those of you dealing with the front driver's side clunky suspension- has anyone ever got it fixed? My truck is still at SC. I did see this where someone had a malformed front strut replaced that seemed to fix the noise.

1676478737330.png

I currently have this issue and it goes in for the 4th time on March 6th. 100% letting them know about this and seeing if they can look at this. I have this issue on the front and happens to both sides. They've refused to test drive it thus far. I've had this issue since delivery Feb 7th 2022.......

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My truck had a bad front driver damper that they replaced. It made loud clunks when driving over harsh transitions and when turning sharp. When I was dropping the truck off, it happened twice in the SC parking lot. They likely wouldn't even be able to get it to the lift without it happening. But it didn't make the noise on rough roads when driving straight.

Last edited:

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I currently have this issue and it goes in for the 4th time on March 6th. 100% letting them know about this and seeing if they can look at this. I have this issue on the front and happens to both sides. They've refused to test drive it thus far. I've had this issue since delivery Feb 7th 2022.......
Mine is at SC for this along with other items. During the drive they said they replaced a strut at customers insistence and said it maybe helped a little but not much. 🤷‍♂️. Not sure what they will do for mine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WSea

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
This was may main issue on my work order. Truck has been at Bellevue SC for a month and they called yesterday that it was ready. Asked if they fixed the front noise and they acted like they didn't know about it and wasn't a work order item. I even did a drive with a service tech the day I brought it in. He said he heard some of the noise. I thought it was hard to reproduce on this drive since Bellevue roads are much smoother than typical concrete panel ones in Seattle. They said they would call again today and I plan to share this strut info.

CascadianApe

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Ops
I am really hoping that Rivian gets to a point where the service teams can actually know what is normal and what can be fixed. Mine was deemed normal. I don't want to pay to transport it to a service center so they can tell me it is normal again.

I had mine towed back in December for the clunk because it caused a major issue when trying to go around a round-about here in the PNW. The SC in Bellevue removed the line from the WO and gave me the truck back saying they lubed the axle splines.

Same issue happened almost as soon as I got it back and Rivian told me I'd be charged for the tow even though it's a safety concern.

CascadianApe

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Ops
This was may main issue on my work order. Truck has been at Bellevue SC for a month and they called yesterday that it was ready. Asked if they fixed the front noise and they acted like they didn't know about it and wasn't a work order item. I even did a drive with a service tech the day I brought it in. He said he heard some of the noise. I thought it was hard to reproduce on this drive since Bellevue roads are much smoother than typical concrete panel ones in Seattle. They said they would call again today and I plan to share this strut info.

Man back in December they straight ignored my issue and I towed it in for this. They've actually deleted it from my WO at least twice. When I bring it up they act the same way. Totally ignore it or act like I never brought it in just for that. It's been the most frustrating automotive service experience I've ever been involved with. Also have 20 years of automotive experience and this 100% takes the cake from an insider and outsider perspective. It seems to be a Bellevue SC issue that they just don't know or want to work on the vehicles for some reason.

Trying to get anything done has been very difficult. Took me 3 trips just to get my alignment fixed from the factory and I'm still waiting on Due Bills to be completed. It's been a year!

dilmorecg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rivian R1T, '19 Raptor, '15 Porsche 911 GTS
This is good to know. I made a note to bring it up at my appt March 1. I am having this driver side clunking turning over bumps. Hopefully since yours is in Bellevue now theyll know about the strut issue when I bring mine in.

OP
OP
WSea

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
UPDATE-
Picked up my truck after a month at the Bellevue SC. Had mentioned the potential strut issue and was told they already fixed it. Don't think they like to hear about potential diagnosis from forums. Was told that each truck is unique like a finger print...sounds like BS. So far on the drive home I'd say they have fixed it or enough for me to be satisfied. There is still some noise on uneven pavement but maybe 90% gone. Need to drive some more to be sure.
The work involved replacing the front drive unit. They identified the noise coming from the front driver's side of the drive unit. They used some sort of an accoustic device.
Other work-
-Alignment- much better but still slight pull to right under 30mph
-Steering Wheel Alignment- was about 4 degrees left. Now maybe 1 degree. I can live with it.
-Interior Squeaks- fixed headliner and a few other places.
-Driver window noise- replaced window trims
-Driver door squeak- Adjusted trim below door
-Gear Tunnel door squeak- Lubed
-CV Splines- Haven't had issues but they relubed with a higher temp one.
-Tire rotation- $60. They did mention they charge $100 now

Great to have it back! Missed the OC interior...although FE was growing on me

Now I have to wait for the OTA update...again

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Deleted member 7086

Had my R1T in for service (again) the first week of January. This was one of the requested items. My “rattling air shocks” are most evident at low speed over expansion joints or cracks in the road. No solution. Slowly getting worse. Maybe the shocks or damper will finally fail and it will actually be fixed. Nearest SC is two and one half hours away. Saw a reference in another thread that Rivian might be replacing the bushings with some form of new and improved bushings. Have not been able to find additional information about this. If anyone has further info please share.
Sponsored