First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I’m new to the truck world, so pardon if this is a silly question.
A lot of off road fridges have slide options for easier access from the truck bed, especially if you have things like a rooftop tent over the bed. However, these typically require drilling to mount the slide.
I’m curious if we should expect those to be unusually tricky with the R1T. I’m primarily concerned about two things:
  1. The bed is over the battery pack, which could make drilling in advisable and make it harder to access from the bottom
  2. The spare tire hatch is in the area you’d probably want to install a slide - it would suck to render that inaccessible by mounting a slide over the hing
Maybe these cancel each other out? I guess if you could drill only in the tire compartment lid and contain the entire slide to that region, you’d be ok.
Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Your concerns certainly seem warranted but unfortunately I don't have an answer with regards to installing it in the bed. However, depending on the size of the fridge, what about installing it in the gear tunnel. The pull out camp kitchen utilizes tracks/rails in GT, so perhaps something similar could be done for installing fridge rails in the GT, assuming of course you're not planing on ordering the camp kitchen.

Ironically, I suggested to Rivian some time ago when they revealed the camp kitchen to come up with one that's half its length. Basically something more appropriate for a single (or couple) traveler/camper, not to mention less expensive. Then the other half of the GT could be used for other "gear" or even a pull out fridge. So a pull out camp kitchen on one side and a pull out fridge on the other - that would be an awesome set up IMO.

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Yeah, camp kitchen is on my list, unfortunately. Having a fridge integrated (or coming out the other side!) would be cool, but oh well.

I like the slide idea because it maximizes the utility of the bed if I have a rooftop tent over the bed (planning the iKamper Skycamp Mini).

My backup plan is to use the funk for this - it may actually be the best option since there’s a DC outlet and it’s deeper than the bed, so it should fit bigger fridges like the Dometic options that won’t fit under the tonneau.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Perhaps a company will produce a “U-shaped” accessory that snaps into the accessory ports on the bed rails and provides a false bed floor so you can not only drill for such accessories, but take them in/out more easily?

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I plan to install a fridge, so I'll be solving this one way or another soon after getting the vehicle. I was leaning towards the gear tunnel and the gear tunnel shuttle system, but without having more info on that, not really sure if it will work or not. If you compare the pictures of the battery pack on the site (and I'm assuming they are showing the large pack) to the overall shape of the truck, there should be spots you can drill into the bed without worrying about the battery specifically, but there are definitely some unknowns, like what is the structure of the composite bed. I'm assuming it will be solvable.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
The bed is over the battery pack, which could make drilling in advisable and make it harder to access from the bottom
The battery is not under the truck bed, the battery is forward of the rear wheels only.

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
The battery is not under the truck bed, the battery is forward of the rear wheels only.
Interesting - even on the 400kwh pack?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Interesting - even on the 400kwh pack?
There will not be a 400kWh pack. There will be a 400+ mile pack, which will be approximately ~180kWh.

The 400 mile pack will take up a little room on the gear tunnel (camp kitchen is said to still fit) and the room under the rear bench seat.

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
This is from their website on the R1T. I don't know if the larger battery extends backwards a little further or not.

1615436615938.png
The assumption that I'm making, based on a variety of random comments and no real data, is that picture is the large pack, and the max pack will add in additional battery capacity in that gap between the back of the pack and the rear wheels.

If I look at this view, that means that even with the max pack, most of the bed, which starts just in front of the rear wheels, will not have battery underneath it.
Rivian Fridge slide? {filename}

There are still motor assemblies, frame rails, and suspension components to worry about, but I'm expecting them to be avoidable.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
This is from their website on the R1T. I don't know if the larger battery extends backwards a little further or not.

The truck bed starts just at the front of the rear wheels, the gear tunnel goes right up againt that point. There are always spacers between the body and the frame as well, so it is not likely any drilling in the bed would be near the battery.

HackyMoto

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 (Gray), Toyota Highlander (Gray)
Occupation
Engineer
Nothing to add; just a comment on that beautiful looking dog

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
There will not be a 400kWh pack. There will be a 400+ mile pack, which will be approximately ~180kWh.
lol... brain fart. I'm in line for the DoubleMax 400kWh pack if they ever get around to it though ?

Nothing to add; just a comment on that beautiful looking dog
Thanks - we just lost her (8.5 years old) in January. I know everyone says this, but she was the rarest, most perfect dog that ever walked the earth. We have another Berner I love dearly, but there will never be another Charlie.

This was the day before - we'd always planned to get her a special cake for her 9th birthday (she was the last of her litter), but that night we realized she wasn't going to make it. She couldn't manage a single bite ?

Rivian R1T R1S Fridge slide? 1615752471835

Histiocytic sarcoma is a bitch.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

If this is the 135 battery, I’d think the 180 would fill in more of the space toward the rear. Otherwise, I would imagine a lesser amount of ground clearance with the Max Pack. So far, I believe the G.C. was the same for all three battery configurations.
Sponsored