First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2020
Occupation
Retired
FPL has Time-of-Use rate which you can enroll in that charges you less per kWh during off peak hours and more during peak hours. You can call them to have them run the numbers to see if you'll benefit from this program. That's another option to weigh against their EV charging program.

I had my Rivian charger installed and didn't pull a permit, so FPL probably wouldn't be able to use the existing breaker and wiring, so it would be $38/m for them to install a new circuit with their charger.

I pay $0.11 a kWh for first 1000 kWh then $0.12 after.

I couldn't find on their EV charging program what is considered off-peak hours. Maybe it's the same as their Time-of-Use program? Depending on how much you drive and when you get home at night, you may not be able to fully charge before the peak hours kick in, so you have to factor that in as well.

I look at it as a pretty big commitment for 10 years (or paying an ETF if you cancel early or move) to save a couple bucks a month. I pay $450 a month for electric so saving $30 isn't noticable and not worth the hassle but for others it may be more substantial.
Yep, no permit here either, so your right with probably the $38 per month charge instead of $31. In the summer in Arizona I was paying $500 a month 23 cents a kwh, so I bought solar and then was paying $12 a month. Good selling point when we decided to move advertising almost free electric.
Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not an expert, but the way I see it this seems like an excellent deal.
I agree. I just paid $1500 just to get a charger that I purchased installed, though that included a base for a separate power meter. Getting installation, a charger, and unlimited off peak power for $38/month is great if you’re anywhere close to a typical (1,000 miles/month, ~ 500 kwhr for a r1t) or heavier driver.

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
Seems like a pretty good
FPL has Time-of-Use rate which you can enroll in that charges you less per kWh during off peak hours and more during peak hours. You can call them to have them run the numbers to see if you'll benefit from this program. That's another option to weigh against their EV charging program.

I had my Rivian charger installed and didn't pull a permit, so FPL probably wouldn't be able to use the existing breaker and wiring, so it would be $38/m for them to install a new circuit with their charger.

I pay $0.11 a kWh for first 1000 kWh then $0.12 after.

I couldn't find on their EV charging program what is considered off-peak hours. Maybe it's the same as their Time-of-Use program? Depending on how much you drive and when you get home at night, you may not be able to fully charge before the peak hours kick in, so you have to factor that in as well.

I look at it as a pretty big commitment for 10 years (or paying an ETF if you cancel early or move) to save a couple bucks a month. I pay $450 a month for electric so saving $30 isn't noticable and not worth the hassle but for others it may be more substantial.
Seems like a pretty good deal to me. I will most certainly put more than 600 miles a month on my Rivian. Also, there is still no Rivian chargers available. I paid $500 for the Rivian charger I bought and close to 1K for installation so whatever analysis you do you need to consider that. I wish the utilities in Texas offered such a deal. I would inquire whether their charger can handle 48 amps or more. Sounds like a pretty easy decision to make.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
That on-peak note concerns me. You’re also not locked into those rates long term but they can ding you if you cancel early. Also is it really $31 or $31 plus junk surcharges/fees?

I’m sort of “excited” to get my power bill this week as it will be my first full month using the charger and +95% of the consumption on this meter goes to the charger so it will be easy to see cost/mile.

Btw, I’m skeptical of anything FPL does given their previous attempts of
profits and political activity while
hiding behind being “regulated.”

Edit: “Customers can charge during on-peak hours but will be billed at a rate of 22.87¢ /kWh in addition to the monthly service payment.” That’s ugly af. I guess they’re hoping you miss the off peak schedule (which changes during the year) and could be reduced in the future.

this still confuses me. Why an off peak rate charge? Are they still charging the surcharges for transmission and conservation? Also, it specifically says only one vehicle is eligible. I’m guessing they’re smart enough to see if you’re dumping 100kw per night on your car when it’s a Nissan Leaf since you must be connected to Wi-Fi and use their app.

“The charges will appear as three line items on your bill, including a program charge, on-peak and off-peak rate charge.
  • On-peak rate charges will apply if charging outside of the off-peak periods.”

Last edited:

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

That on-peak note concerns me. You’re also not locked into those rates long term but they can ding you if you cancel early. Also is it really $31 or $31 plus junk surcharges/fees?

I’m sort of “excited” to get my power bill this week as it will be my first full month using the charger and +95% of the consumption on this meter goes to the charger so it will be easy to see cost/mile.

Btw, I’m skeptical of anything FPL does given their previous attempts of
profits and political activity while
hiding behind being “regulated.”

Edit: “Customers can charge during on-peak hours but will be billed at a rate of 22.87¢ /kWh in addition to the monthly service payment.” That’s ugly af. I guess they’re hoping you miss the off peak schedule (which changes during the year) and could be reduced in the future.

this still confuses me. Why an off peak rate charge? Are they still charging the surcharges for transmission and conservation? Also, it specifically says only one vehicle is eligible. I’m guessing they’re smart enough to see if you’re dumping 100kw per night on your car when it’s a Nissan Leaf since you must be connected to Wi-Fi and use their app.

“The charges will appear as three line items on your bill, including a program charge, on-peak and off-peak rate charge.
  • On-peak rate charges will apply if charging outside of the off-peak periods.”
Yeah, I'm confused about the FAQ because it says that the charger is not tied to the car and you're free to purchase another EV without affecting the subscription, but another FAQ says you can only have one vehicle. Will they know if you have two vehicles and swap every other night to charge them?

Also, they will charge you 22.87 cents for on-peak hours if you use their charger. What if you were to keep your Rivian charger and use that charger for on-peak hours? For me that would technically be 12 cents a kilowatt hour regular rate. Do they force you to remove your other charger? Do they put something on that circuit to track the usage for that charger?

Imagine having two Rivian vehicles on one charger where you charge one every other night and then in the case of needing to charge during on peak hours you use your Rivian charger. That certainly makes it attractive.

Sponsored

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Yeah, I'm confused about the FAQ because it says that the charger is not tied to the car and you're free to purchase another EV without affecting the subscription, but another FAQ says you can only have one vehicle. Will they know if you have two vehicles and swap every other night to charge them?

Also, they will charge you 22.87 cents for on-peak hours if you use their charger. What if you were to keep your Rivian charger and use that charger for on-peak hours? For me that would technically be 12 cents a kilowatt hour regular rate. Do they force you to remove your other charger? Do they put something on that circuit to track the usage for that charger?

Imagine having two Rivian vehicles on one charger where you charge one every other night and then in the case of needing to charge during on peak hours you use your Rivian charger. That certainly makes it attractive.
you must charge with their app and have Wi-Fi connection for the charger so my very strong suspicion is they will “know” based on consumption. The first FAQ you mention is in relation to purchasing a different EV. They very clearly don’t intend for you to charge two vehicles here and mention that option may happen in the future. Maybe you could tell them you own a Hummer and charge two Leaf’s every night no problem? ALL the big PUC’s have invested heavily in remote monitoring and reading and they hate giving away “free” power. I’m still not clear if *free* off peak charging is 100% included with this subscription.

FPL had an old energy program where they tapped things like your water heater and would cut it off in high peak times and if you got caught bypassing that there was a big penalty my guess here is you agree you won’t have another L2 charger but tbh, I don’t know how they would bust you on that.

I think their business model here is that a retired couple in their house they snowbird in gets this service and consumption never exceeds the monthly subscription cost.

also keep in mind that the PUC’s are chomping at the bit for wider spread EV adoption. in ten years we all might be whining about The cost of power. I believe FPL is pushing another rate increase as we speak…

JohnnyBeagle

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler 392
I have solar on my house and net metering and time of use rates with FPL.

I think off peak works out to 4c/kWh

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
I think it’s .21 but between solar and batteries I haven’t been charged for a single kWh of on peak since my system went live in mid 2020
Yah, I don’t think FPL pays on-peak for generation unless you have a PPA which I’m fairly certain you don’t. That’s sort of the scam. They pay the consumer as little as legally possible and they help write the laws.

Sponsored

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Sharing my thoughts for anyone else who might find this thread like I did. I'm in south Jax/north St. Augustine and FPL is my power provider. I pay similar rates to the sample bill OP posted. I've evaluated the variable rates that FPL offers in my region but my largest consumption is for my home HVAC units and the variable rate program wouldn't be a net savings for me. I've looked at solar install but the cost wouldn't make sense for me as I only plan to be in this house for another 8-10 years.

I just signed up for this service last week and I'm awaiting contact from FPL's installer. I have two 14-50 receptacles and I will only be letting FPL replace one of them with the hard-wired EVSE. I will be using this EVSE for my Tesla, and then once my Rivian arrives I'll use this for my Rivian. (Since FPL specifies that you may only use the charger for 1 vehicle).

Here's my calcs: My current FPL rate is $0.11 per KWH for the first 1000, then $0.13 per KWH over 1000. I used about 2500 kwh on my most recent bill. This is subject to change with FPL tariffs, and the per KWH charge is likely to rise at some point with increased fuel costs.

The FPL EVolution home charger is $31 per month. Call this 238 KWH per month to break even. Using the charge stats in the tesla app we used 420 kwh in November. Subtracting two tesla supercharge events for a road trip, I estimate about 263 kwh for the tesla which is on the low side of average driving for us with this vehicle. This will increase a bit once I have my Rivian.

I called FPL to ask a few questions that weren't covered in the fine print.
1) FPL confirmed (via voice) that the $31 per month charge is fixed for the 10 year contract and not subject to tariff rate fluctuations. (If this is true, this alone makes this a smokin' deal.)
2) FPL confirmed that the way the billing works is that the charger is wifi connected reporting back to FPL. When FPL runs the billing, they deduct the KWH used through the charger from the billed usage.

For me and my usage, this is a no-brainer great deal. Just sharing in case anyone else is evaluating this program.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

When I spoke with FPL customer service and checked the FAQ on the website both confirmed that the FPL EVolution app that lets you control this EVSE will let you disable peak charging, and let you control that this EVSE can be set to only active during the non-peak ($31 per month lump sum) charging.
Correct, the FAQ also says this is for one vehicle. I intend to use this to charge my R1S, not the Model Y that will be parked next to it in the same garage.
Sponsored