Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Good Evening! I was reading and rereading some of the posts this weekend and have noticed that the tone of the discussions seem to have changed over the past couple of months. When I joined this forum in early 2020, topics were on point and there existed a mutual respect among members. This does not mean that we always agreed, but it means that debates did not regularly digress into personal attacks. In light of the recent US based thanksgiving holiday can we take a minute to remind ourselves to be thankful for an open forum to discuss our wishes and our sleuthing and share our excitement of all things Rivian. Below are some Items (Nothing you haven't seen or heard before) to consider when posting....... Feel Free to add!

- Be Respectful and Tolerant of Others
- Be Open and welcoming to people from different backgrounds and experience levels
- Help Facilitate meaningful conversations
- Share Relevant information
- No personal attacks: Disagreement is OK and even encouraged, but keep it to the facts. Recognize the difference between personal preferences and factual info
- No Trolling: Trolling is posting for the purpose of provoking negative responses

“The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
Sponsored

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Good Evening! I was reading and rereading some of the posts this weekend and have noticed that the tone of the discussions seem to have changed over the past couple of months. When I joined this forum in early 2020, topics were on point and there existed a mutual respect among members. This does not mean that we always agreed, but it means that debates did not regularly digress into personal attacks. In light of the recent US based thanksgiving holiday can we take a minute to remind ourselves to be thankful for an open forum to discuss our wishes and our sleuthing and share our excitement of all things Rivian. Below are some Items (Nothing you haven't seen or heard before) to consider when posting....... Feel Free to add!

- Be Open and welcoming to people from different backgrounds and experience levels
- No personal attacks: Disagreement is OK and even encouraged, but keep it to the facts. Recognize the difference between personal preferences and factual info
- No Trolling: Trolling is posting for the purpose of provoking negative responses

I agree. In general, things have gotten more gnarly and confrontative in most public forums. I had to remind people to be kind on a Facebook group I admin. Unnecessary criticism on some folks' part. They want everyone to think exactly like them, I guess. How boring.

Gman

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Open Ocean Swimmer
Couldn’t agree more- I write a comment or ask a question- first considering how someone will try to make me feel like a chump or attack me from some other angle. Hey Boss- all I wanted to know ”what tire pressure ya runnin on your 20’s”? Probably just me.

Sponsored

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
Couldn’t agree more- I write a comment or ask a question- first considering how someone will try to make me feel like a chump or attack me from some other angle. Hey Boss- all I wanted to know ”what tire pressure ya runnin on your 20’s”? Probably just me.
Nah, not just you. Try bringing up Elon Musk or Tesla in anything other than an extremely negative way. You’ll soon be told why you suck. That’s just one example.

People hide behind keyboards and let show their true biases, all the while reveling in righteousness. It’s beautiful.

tusharparmar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Sometime back I saw a thread to shame Rivian owner eating at Subway. Is that what we are here for?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Nah, not just you. Try bringing up Elon Musk or Tesla in anything other than an extremely negative way. You’ll soon be told why you suck. That’s just one example.

People hide behind keyboards and let show their true biases, all the while reveling in righteousness. It’s beautiful.
Quickest way to get in an argument here.. give some sort of kudos to Tesla or Elon... it will rapidly turn into:
1) Oh, the fanboi is here..
2) Another Tesla employee posting on "our" forum
3) You should sell your Rivian then
4) You're an idiot to believe anything Elon says
If you keep defending Tesla or Elon after that, the disinformation, wild claims and personal attacks soon follow.

Simple intolerance and jealousy at it's worst.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Quickest way to get in an argument here.. give some sort of kudos to Tesla or Elon... it will rapidly turn into:
1) Oh, the fanboi is here..
2) Another Tesla employee posting on "our" forum
3) You should sell your Rivian then
4) You're an idiot to believe anything Elon says
If you keep defending Tesla or Elon after that, the disinformation, wild claims and personal attacks soon follow.

Simple intolerance and jealousy at it's worst.
Ehhh. I'm all for healthy discourse but spare me on the intolerance/jealousy piece. I've definitely seen some immature/unnecessary attacks here but by and large people are plenty tolerant and respectful, as far as internet forums go. No matter where you fall on the subject, you have to recognize that Elon is a polarizing figure and the Cybertruck is a polarizing product so you should expect there to be plenty of pushback on a competing company's forum.

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
Ehhh. I'm all for healthy discourse but spare me on the intolerance/jealousy piece. I've definitely seen some immature/unnecessary attacks here but by and large people are plenty tolerant and respectful, as far as internet forums go. No matter where you fall on the subject, you have to recognize that Elon is a polarizing figure and the Cybertruck is a polarizing product so you should expect there to be plenty of pushback on a competing company's forum.
Absolutely agree with this. Unfortunately the conversation does often go to what @NY_Rob described. There's not a lot of critical thinking involved in any of those types of answers. Elon is polarizing and a powerful figure, we're all entitled to our opinions of him and Tesla.

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired

Placer Paul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 and Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired police officer and attorney

Your point is well taken.

I confess to have drafted . . . and then deleted . . . some really cleverly stinging responses. Like the adage from the film industry, some of my best stuff ends up on the cutting room floor . . . and should have. And no doubt I missed some responses which ought to have been cut.
We're all in this together. Acting like it by showing compassion and dignity in our . . . my . . . responses is part of a more robust and informative dialogue. Constructive criticism makes us stronger.
The transition to a new technology is about helping one another in overcoming and not negatively focusing upon the bumps and barriers in the road.
For myself, I feel gifted to be part of this transition and making it work through constructive dialogue. That includes a fair measure of self discipline and regulation.
That all said, where's the freaking gas tank on these rides?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Your point is well taken.

I confess to have drafted . . . and then deleted . . . some really cleverly stinging responses. Like the adage from the film industry, some of my best stuff ends up on the cutting room floor . . . and should have. And no doubt I missed some responses which ought to have been cut.
We're all in this together. Acting like it by showing compassion and dignity in our . . . my . . . responses is part of a more robust and informative dialogue. Constructive criticism makes us stronger.
The transition to a new technology is about helping one another in overcoming and not negatively focusing upon the bumps and barriers in the road.
For myself, I feel gifted to be part of this transition and making it work through constructive dialogue. That includes a fair measure of self discipline and regulation.
That all said, where's the freaking gas tank on these rides?
Some of us only have cutting room floor material :confused:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I own and operate 2 car enthusiast forums.. Some of the members here would not have made it far on them.

That said...

I have to admit the forum here is like a roller coaster 25% of the time..

Either everyone is on board.. Or everyone is ready to kill.

The other 75%, is smooth operating.

To some people here, it seems like everything should be black and white, with no grey area..

Grey area is where the discussion begins, it where we all look at a problem, or potential problem, see the issue, discuss the issue, and find a remedy that may work for some.

Sometimes a issue cant be found, but at least it was brought up, and may, or may not, help a future member, or an existing member that found the issue years down the road.

In my experience here, pricing seems to be the hot button issue to really tick some people off.

I personally dont care. If a member is degrading my opinion, then theres this handy little feature called ignore. So far no one has made it there. I dont mind the quick snipe, even though completely uncalled for, it can make for levity. People sitting on each side of the keyboard dont know the mood the other is in. So taking it with a grain of salt is always in order.

But there are members here that take it to far, quite often.

We all come from different walks of life.. Some of us have our noses in the air, some of us have our noses to the grind stone. Looking down your proverbial nose at another member makes for some real volatility.

Respect is a word that holds no value anymore, at least to me. To many expecting respect when none is earned, or warranted. I have nothing but respect for @opnwide , I asked for help with a problem, and he provided a quick, and easy solution. But he earned it... (and I am thankful for his help!).

So how about people just realize we dont all walk the same walk of life. What works for some, will not work for all.

Edit: I will also admit I am probably the most critical of Rivian than your average poster, if not the most critical. The response I get from some is why are you buying a Rivian then.. Because I am just as critical about every other manufacture.. Whether its Rivian, Ford, GM, etc... I hold them all to the same candle. So I am not going to give Rivian a "pass" just because they are a new vehicle manufacture... That just makes me be more critical of them.
Sponsored

Last edited: