Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Agree 100%.

And how dare you call me a MORON!

Haha, I'm certainly guilty of being a moron.
I'm probably a little different in that I don't mind being trolled and have never blocked anyone.
Learning how to disagree is indeed a lost art and a forum thread about what choices Rivian should/shouldn't make with our fancy trucks is a perfect place to practice.
Sponsored

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I agree with that to an extent. I don't think physically fighting is going to solve any differences either. The person who "lost" the fight might have been 100% in the right the entire time. And who's to say the person who is always wrong isn't going around smashing those people they disagree with just because they can?

There are a bunch of fine lines here and humans generally aren't very good with that. Too many of us seem to step over that line if it's not clear enough that we shouldn't. I doubt we will all be in agreement on many topics anytime soon, so for me I just try to find common ground with someone even if I disagree with most of what they say or how they say it. I assume that every person I meet will have something we can agree on even if it takes some work to find it. Unfortunately we rarely get that much time to do that on the internet. We have to start somewhere... 🤷‍♂️
The idea I was referring to wasnt that you take it out into the alley and "solve" the problem.. But more along the lines that words have meanings, and words can, and do, inflict damage unto another, to the point that it --could-- have consequences.

To that end, people got along better in the older days because people were better informed, and FACTS actually did matter.

Its amazing that with all this internet, people are still so grossly misinformed.
And when they are misinformed, and ask for help, people attack them like "you should have already known".
I dont know about you, but I dont know everything, and will accept being corrected, and be directed to the facts when available.
But a lot of people take the correction as a personal attack.

I mean really.. what have we all become that it has gotten to this?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Haha, I'm certainly guilty of being a moron.
I'm probably a little different in that I don't mind being trolled and have never blocked anyone.
Learning how to disagree is indeed a lost art and a forum thread about what choices Rivian should/shouldn't make with our fancy trucks is a perfect place to practice.
It's true! Most of what we talk about here are truly first world problems. I've had some pretty insulting things said to me here, but I also realize I can be an ass too, so I have also never blocked anyone. In the big picture it's just a forum about Rivian and it's full of a bunch of characters.

Gman

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Open Ocean Swimmer
Worst case scenario online is you get doxxed and your life severely fucked up while you face mountains of death threats and public shaming. Not here thankfully, moderation happens quick enough to avoid those sorts of arguments but they do happen on other social media.

I agree some of the people on the internet could use to get their ass kicked a few times to adjust their attitudes but the solution to those people isn't to censor everyone's speech.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The idea I was referring to wasnt that you take it out into the alley and "solve" the problem.. But more along the lines that words have meanings, and words can, and do, inflict damage unto another, to the point that it --could-- have consequences.

To that end, people got along better in the older days because people were better informed, and FACTS actually did matter.

Its amazing that with all this internet, people are still so grossly misinformed.
And when they are misinformed, and ask for help, people attack them like "you should have already known".
I dont know about you, but I dont know everything, and will accept being corrected, and be directed to the facts when available.

Got it. I apologize for missing your point on that. I agree - words definitely can do harm, even if unintentionally.

I think it's also important to distinguish between someone who makes one comment that accidentally offended someone. That person should be forgiven without a doubt, but how do they handle being confronted about it? Can they apologize or will they dig in even deeper because they feel the other person was too sensitive?

And can the offended person bring it up in a way that doesn't try to absolutely destroy the other person and shame them into oblivion? It's one thing if the other person is saying hateful offensive things all the time - that is a different story. But how does one expect to educate and change another person's mind on something by going full blast on them? It won't work.

We are all so impatient now. Taking a minute to think before we respond to someone does help. Most of us rarely do it.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That's the biggest problem. Too many people are wrapped in tissue paper these days. Too far is "anything that offends me" far too often. That's not realistic and even counterproductive.

Too far used to be obvious, stuff like calling your work or doxxing or swatting. Now it seems we went from the wild west of the internet to the romper room. I feel like this forum has been a really good happy medium so far and I hope the mods don't take a heavier hand and ruin it.

That's why I stopped checking in with the BMW forum. The line there is far too close to whiny for my taste. Its also why that forum gets like one new post a day if that. More like one comment at all a day. Most people don't like having to censor that much.
Totally agree. Unfortunately I don't see how we get out of this space where everyone overreacts to everything. Nearly everyone believes they are a victim and it's made it so true victims are lost in the shuffle of sorting it all out.

I know I would annoy everyone in a forum with margins as tight as those you describe at the BMW forum (hell, I probably annoy everyone here too :CWL:), so I wouldn't last long there anyway. I have a proclivity to open my word hole too quickly and too sharply on a regular basis.

Gman

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Open Ocean Swimmer
Holy sh— ola- I was 6th reply to this thread back on Aug 30th- sat dormant for a month or so- what prompted the huge attention and replies now? I dont think the US culture has changed from 2months ago- wonder if there are fewer Rivian issues to talk about so we talk about social issues. I enjoy the comments and it is healthy to see how people from all over the USA feel. 🤙

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Was Listening to JRE Podcast the other day and Joe gave an incredible quote and said something to the effect of if everyone agreed about everything we would need no 1st amendment which means that the 1st amendment is there to protect speech that you don't agree with. What makes the U.S. so amazing is that we can peacefully coexist amongst people we disagree with... even morons from the internet. I'd rather engage in a forum with diverse perspectives/opinions than one where everyone agrees with me... that sounds boring and how would I learn anything.
"Jamie, bring up that video of a Rivian fighting a bear."

-Joe Rogan (s00n)

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things

I couldn't disagree more with this. People are more informed now than ever before in human history. That state of information is precisely why we have so much social friction these days. The days of the government shaping a narrative and never being questioned on it are over. Same with a company or even an individual spewing a mountain of bullshit. As a society, we find that even so-called official sources are tainted with misinformation and bias.

So many people are polarized because of parasitic algorithms that emphasize disagreement to your feed on social media, keeping the average person in a state of heightened arousal to maximize engagement. Humans aren't great at responding to things rationally once their older, more instinctual, deeper brain is activated.

We have so many different opinions because people cannot conceptualize complex problems, at least not all at once. Even our so-called experts are myopic in the topics they are experts in on occasion, and the fact that so much information and analysis is available from every dipshit with a blog means that none of it goes unnoticed. Add this to the previous paragraph about the irrational deep brain actuation, and we get some terrible takes.

How society will adjust to this information overload is still being determined. Still, most people my age, 40ish and younger, are already seeing the harm and learning to moderate their usage of information.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Holy sh— ola- I was 6th reply to this thread back on Aug 30th- sat dormant for a month or so- what prompted the huge attention and replies now? I dont think the US culture has changed from 2months ago- wonder if there are fewer Rivian issues to talk about so we talk about social issues. I enjoy the comments and it is healthy to see how people from all over the USA feel. 🤙
Someone was probably craving subway.

Sponsored

Rivianready

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Jeep Gr Cherokee SRT, Suburban LTZ
Occupation
Business owner
Clubs

100% agree. I come to this forum to learn and offer suggestions. I DO NOT come to this forum to get my daily fill of negative BS. The best way to think about this forum is that you are either a teacher (this is what I have found) or a student (I want to learn about). If you keep that in mind, you will realize there is no room for negative comments.

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
Your point is well taken.

I confess to have drafted . . . and then deleted . . . some really cleverly stinging responses. Like the adage from the film industry, some of my best stuff ends up on the cutting room floor . . . and should have. And no doubt I missed some responses which ought to have been cut.
We're all in this together. Acting like it by showing compassion and dignity in our . . . my . . . responses is part of a more robust and informative dialogue. Constructive criticism makes us stronger.
The transition to a new technology is about helping one another in overcoming and not negatively focusing upon the bumps and barriers in the road.
For myself, I feel gifted to be part of this transition and making it work through constructive dialogue. That includes a fair measure of self discipline and regulation.
That all said, where's the freaking gas tank on these rides?
🤣
Sponsored