Ford's intention was to crush Rivian?

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Interesting. So they give up 7.44% of their shares in this 2nd round of sales. Them still owning 9.7% of Rivian's overall stock (87 million shares) is still an enormous amount of shares. I still don't think they'll dump it all, but at the same time I really don't care if they do. What I am more curious of is who did they sell to (if anyone specific)?
Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Interesting. So they give up 7.44% of their shares in this 2nd round of sales. Them still owning 9.7% of Rivian's overall stock (87 million shares) is still an enormous amount of shares. I still don't think they'll dump it all, but at the same time I really don't care if they do. What I am more curious of is who did they sell to (if anyone specific)?
I'm sure in part because they can't have a board seat because of the inherent conflict of interest as a competitor.

Mercedes and Toyota went through a somewhat similar situation with Tesla.

I don't think Ford is putting much thought into their Rivian ownership. They probably made the decision to sell the shares and that process will continue.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I don't think Ford is putting much thought into their Rivian ownership. They probably made the decision to sell the shares and that process will continue.
I agree that Ford didn't put much thought into their Rivian ownership. Like I said before, Ford's problem is 'Ford'. I'm still in the stance that they will hold onto some of the shares. I know they're kicking themselves for not getting into that Tesla piece of pie back in the day (and we all know how volatile Tesla's stock was the first 5-7 yrs). They miss out on this a 2nd time with Rivian and they'll just throw the mother of all hissy fits

Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’m not sure what Ford’s end game is unless they just needed some immediate cash. Seems like they left a lot of money on the table. I think Rivian is worth more than Lucid but market cap has Rivian 6.5 billion lower. If Rivian goes up to mid 40’s that is 300 million left on the table.

Ford is still making money as they are selling well above their initial investment just interesting to see what companies do and try to understand why.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I’m not sure what Ford’s end game is unless they just needed some immediate cash. Seems like they left a lot of money on the table. I think Rivian is worth more than Lucid but market cap has Rivian 6.5 billion lower. If Rivian goes up to mid 40’s that is 300 million left on the table.

Ford is still making money as they are selling well above their initial investment just interesting to see what companies do and try to understand why.
Most people, including investment professionals, don't believe you can make money picking stocks.

It's very likely that Ford's decision had nothing to do with guessing at the future price of RIVN. The current price is, after all, the consensus by experts of the value of the stock.

Sponsored

Varuca-TX

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Colorado Duramax - 2001 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Real Estate
Most people, including investment professionals, don't believe you can make money picking stocks.

It's very likely that Ford's decision had nothing to do with guessing at the future price of RIVN. The current price is, after all, the consensus by experts of the value of the stock.
Ha! Consensus by experts :CWL:.... it's nothing more than several weeks of negative press - much of it self inflicted- Rivian will exceed expectations this quarter and next and the glowing press coverage will push stock back to $75-$100 -

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Ha! Consensus by experts :CWL:.... it's nothing more than several weeks of negative press - much of it self inflicted- Rivian will exceed expectations this quarter and next and the glowing press coverage will push stock back to $75-$100 -
So back to a higher market cap than Ford?

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Barron's today:

The sale, completed on May 13, puts Ford below the 10% ownership level. There are about 893 million Rivian shares outstanding. “Once the beneficial ownership of the issuer’s securities falls to 10 percent or less, Ford would no longer be an insider required to file a Form 4,” explains accounting expert Robert Willens.

Looks like we'll need to wait until Ford's next quarterly report to know when/if they sold additional RIVN shares.
Sponsored