Sponsored

Ford updating BlueCruise with Hands-Free Lane Changing

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

https://www.engadget.com/ford-updat...ds-free-lane-changing-and-more-204022978.html

After a recent 1200 mile trip, having some of these updates would be welcome on d+

“Hands-free lane changing is what it sounds like, just tap the turn signal and the vehicle will slide over one when it's safe to do so. It'll also preemptively suggest changes if it sees you coming up on a slower vehicle. Predictive speed assist is built to spot sharp turns ahead and safely guide the vehicle through them, while in-lane repositioning will cause the vehicle to hug either line so as to provide some additional padding between your bumper and the semi in the next lane.”

The lane changing would be a huge help over constant engage and disengage - talked about here plenty.
The reduction of speed for turns would be big - I’ve noticed it does reduce, but not enough and I’m with the truck trying to stay center of the lane around the curve instead of getting closer to inner radius, makes it feel more pronounced at speed.
I’ve never liked being in auto steer going by a semi - always feels too close. Like what it sounds like Ford is doing there

maybe we will see some of these type updates too
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Sorry, but Ford's driver assist is trash. Granted I only had 100 miles with it, it would always prompt me to keep hands on the wheel... When I was already gripping. I had to shift my hands around and squeeze hard to stop it.

OP
OP

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Sorry, but Ford's driver assist is trash. Granted I only had 100 miles with it, it would always prompt me to keep hands on the wheel... When I was already gripping. I had to shift my hands around and squeeze hard to stop it.
Haven’t used it - but looking at the feature additions, would be nice to get similar improvements to d+

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Are you sure that’s the blue cruise? I had that system in my 2020 explorer ST. I got rid of that car in under 6 months and the lane keep assist was part of the reason why. The only tech that worked really great was the massage seats. On a long trip those were welcome and on a drive home from rock climbing they were a game changer for my old ass.

Toadkillerdog

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo, 2020 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Physician
Are you sure that’s the blue cruise? I had that system in my 2020 explorer ST. I got rid of that car in under 6 months and the lane keep assist was part of the reason why. The only tech that worked really great was the massage seats. On a long trip those were welcome and on a drive home from rock climbing they were a game changer for my old ass.
Blue cruise works great for me in hands off mode. When it is not available it defaults to lesser mode where hands on steering wheel is required

Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I have been driving a Model S with Enhanced Auto pilot which does auto lane changes, and until now never realized how much of a stress-free experience Auto Lane Changing is. And now I don't think I can consider a modern car which does not have Auto Lane Change as part of its ADAS system.

Driver+ in its current iteration needs significant upgrades to meet the current norms. Hopefully, they have big upgrades planned for Driver+

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Bluecruise gets mixed reviews, but it really works well for me. The new features are going to make a good product even better.

I'm optimistic Rivian will catch up some day, but Rivian's progress with driver assistance features is very slow.

Heck, Rivian has been bragging about Driver+ being a standard hands free driving system on its website for several years, but it clearly doesn't live up to the hype. Rivian doesn't even offer hands free driving, and there is no telling when it will. I'm the meantime, other manufacturers are offering hands free driving systems which continue to be improved upon.

Rivian does offer more frequent software improvements via OTA updates than Ford does, which makes me think Rivian can catch up to Ford some day.

For now, Rivian keeps pretending Driver+has features it clearly does not.

Rivian R1T R1S Ford updating BlueCruise with Hands-Free Lane Changing Screenshot_2022-09-11-21-06-21-43_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12
Sponsored

Last edited: