Sponsored

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Looks like the Raptor got the jump, but it was close! Wonder how the R1T would have done.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Must be the fact that it’s on dirt. Those raptors have better tires. The raptor R and the TRX have similar speed on the drag strip and the Rivian hands them both their ass there.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Amazing the speed these have on dirt.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
The Rivian tops out on speed before the end doesn't it? Otherwise I'd think it would beat the Raptor R, no?
Weird that the R1S beat the Raptor R in the first group race, but not in the second? What drive mode? SoC? Not nearly enough info there.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Seems like the lowered traction on dirt vs pavement is a bit of an equalizer for the R1S due to the weight of the vehicle. I think the Raptor vs R1 video I saw on pavement recently wasn't as close as this race (R1 won iirc, but had hit the speed limiter before the end of the race).

But, this is also the exact situation the Raptor was built for so I'm not surprised to see it perform exceptionally. A fast desert runner is precisely what that vehicle is intended to do better than anything else it does.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This is invaluable information as I am now prepared to outrun anyone on pavement as well as dirt. My M134 combined with this ability should see me through the pending Armageddon. I am joking. I am a huge fan on the R1, but it's not the first car that comes to my mind when I think of drag races.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Pirelli!!!!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Weird that the R1S beat the Raptor R in the first group race, but not in the second? What drive mode? SoC? Not nearly enough info there.
Agreed. I have a feeling the R1S wasn't in sport mode, or "launched".
Seems like the lowered traction on dirt vs pavement is a bit of an equalizer for the R1S due to the weight of the vehicle. I think the Raptor vs R1 video I saw on pavement recently wasn't as close as this race (R1 won iirc, but had hit the speed limiter before the end of the race).

But, this is also the exact situation the Raptor was built for so I'm not surprised to see it perform exceptionally. A fast desert runner is precisely what that vehicle is intended to do better than anything else it does.
Yeah the R1 leaves the Raptor in the dust on pavement. It's definitely plausible it was a traction limitation, but I couldn't tell if the tires were spinning at all. My hunch was more a lack of familiarity with launching the R1S, but that's a total guess.

Sponsored

OP
OP
teddyang

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

i do agree that the dirt helped the Raptor, but the new Raptor R is no joke. They new trim improved 0-60 times from like low 5s for the vanilla Raptor to mid-high 3s for the R.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
i do agree that the dirt helped the Raptor, but the new Raptor R is no joke. They new trim improved 0-60 times from like low 5s for the vanilla Raptor to mid-high 3s for the R.
How many gallons to the mile?

OP
OP
teddyang

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

How many gallons to the mile?
haha...

Raptor R
10 mpg city, 15 highway, and 13 combined, per the EPA.
8.3 gal/100mi
432 miles Total Range

Standard Raptor
14 mpg city, 18 highway, and 15 combined, per the EPA.
6.7 gal/100mi
540 miles Total Range

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I don't think packed dirt would favor the Raptor. I think the Rivian battery was low, or the driver sucked.

OptimaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1974 VW Bug
Occupation
eCare Manager
Great to see the interest in the video here. Lots of speculation here as well and I can probably fill in some of the blanks. The Raptor R is not the same thing as a Raptor by a long shot, starting with a 700-horsepower supercharged V8, versus the 450-horsepower twin-turbo V6 in the standard Raptor. The R also has slightly larger 37-inch tires. Both the R1S and the Raptor R were running BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires.

We ran a bunch of races out there and the R1S beat the Raptor R in several of them, including one earlier in that video. However, when the SOC dropped below 80%, the Raptor R came out on top. All of the drivers were very experienced. The driver (and owner) of the R1S is Mike Weiss of DCE by Weistec and he has forgotten more about drag racing than most people will ever know.

We had an R1T out there, but it was loaded down with overlanding gear and Mike said the R1S was lighter. Knowing the owner of the R1T and Mike, I suspect the two of them have spent as much time racing those two trucks as any two Rivians in the country.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
Sponsored