Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Question: Which kind of bear….

Sorry. Wrong forum. Real Question: I just ordered one for my wife’s Mach E. Can I use that adapter for the Riv once they open up the Supercharger network to us?
It should work fine. Especially since the adapter is most likely identical to what Ford is shipping (ie made by Tesla).
Sponsored

ddimit

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S, Ford f150 lightning
Occupation
Tech manager
Clubs

A significant number of Superchargers not included in the rollout. Assuming these are the V2 Superchargers. So there are still huge gaps in coverage.
5 of the 6 sites in my city are not showing, these are also High usage locations.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Not “supported”, whatever that means, but they do work.

At a bare minimum, it means if your car gets damaged you're paying out of pocket on the repair.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Yeah no way would I be playing that game. I don't care if it works or not.

Sponsored

Ziggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1s
Occupation
retired
Clubs

I've seen several R1 owners demonstrating 215+kW on a magicdock v3 station, which is the full 500A, so it's most likely just referencing old information that Tesla was ramping up the maximum allowed rate.

But it does make me curious if Tesla will ever allow more than 500A through the adapters. It's not a true hard limit for CCS. IIRC Tesla's stations have a constant rating of 615A and I think they sometimes exceed that by a decent margin.
Kyle O'Conner's (Out of Spec Reviews) YouTube video addresses this issue briefly (posted several times already) but again here: . Goto the 18 min mark.

He mentioned the adaptor is rated at 300A but then quickly says they're done 500A on the magic dock...even up to 700A. Heating is the issue and the adaptor has thermal sensors to turn off the session. So I guess that means we need to pack a wet rag to wrap around the adaptor during the summer LOL (Kyle's videos from years ago)?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Kyle O'Conner's (Out of Spec Reviews)
Kyle O'Conner, of house O'Conner. First of his name.

I think that should be how we refer to him from here on out. :)

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Kyle O'Conner's (Out of Spec Reviews) YouTube video addresses this issue briefly (posted several times already) but again here: . Goto the 18 min mark.

He mentioned the adaptor is rated at 300A but then quickly says they're done 500A on the magic dock...even up to 700A. Heating is the issue and the adaptor has thermal sensors to turn off the session. So I guess that means we need to pack a wet rag to wrap around the adaptor during the summer LOL (Kyle's videos from years ago)?
When I charged my Hummer at a magic dock, I pulled 500A for 7 minutes, followed by 400A for 25 minutes. Handled it just fine. This was in Phoenix weather, not cold.

MejDam

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Senior Security Analyst
A gentleman by the name of duncamaio on the ford lightning form has a screenshot of him charging on with an a2z adapter. I wonder if someone can try the a2z adapter on a vehicle that hasn't received the ota update or on an unsupported vehicle.. time will tell

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I’m curious to know if Fords can charge at a V3 supercharger that isn’t “supported” on the map. Seems like a lot of work for Tesla to keep some V3/V4 superchargers not available to other EVs.

Sponsored

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Not “supported”, whatever that means, but they do work.
Currently working and "will always work" are not the same thing.
I'd say we don't know for sure (maybe someone does), but if there's some type of RFID chip or identifier in the 'official' adapters, they can very easily disable the chargers if unauthorized.

You're playing with fire here (well, electricity, that can easily cause a fire, if something isn't installed correctly). Everything from cable type, strain relief, crimp types (and calibrated crimping tools, with proper implied force), layout for heatsink and thermal drain, etc are all aspects of electrical connectivity. I'm not saying the 3rd parties don't know what they're doing, but I'd at least be absolutely certain they have a phenomenal reputation, they have all of the UL and CE stamps and filings, and have been around long enough to survive litigation ;)

I WOULD be wary of how quickly these came to market. Maybe they were working on them 2 years ago. But advanced lifecycle testing, mate/demate and off-axis mating over a minimum of thousands of cycles should have been performed at a minimum. And none of that can be done 'quickly.'

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm not saying the 3rd parties don't know what they're doing, but I'd at least be absolutely certain they have a phenomenal reputation, they have all of the UL and CE stamps and filings, and have been around long enough to survive litigation ;)
There is no current UL standard for DCFC adapters...it's currently under development. Which means that even Tesla's adapters couldn't be certified at this point. I'd be more concerned that Tesla as well as Rivian and Ford have already said they'll only stand behind the adapter that comes from the vehicle manufacturer, meaning you'd be on the hook for damage to the vehicle or the charging station in the event of an issue.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

There is no current UL standard for DCFC adapters...it's currently under development. Which means that even Tesla's adapters couldn't be certified at this point. I'd be more concerned that Tesla as well as Rivian and Ford have already said they'll only stand behind the adapter that comes from the vehicle manufacturer, meaning you'd be on the hook for damage to the vehicle or the charging station in the event of an issue.
I was unaware that UL wasn't geared up for this. Dang. REALLY not worth the risk, in that case. At least if it's 'wild west,' let the manufacturer make the first requirements--if theirs would fail to pass, then at least they can issue a recall, or at least maintain liability if anything does short.

I'd put it this way: anyone looking to use an 'aftermarket' adapter. CALL your insurance company and ask them how they feel about it (be specific: am I covered if this thing goes up in an inferno and takes my vehicle, the charger, and the adjacent station and adjacent vehicles out?).
THAT is your answer. Hard stop.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You're playing with fire here (well, electricity, that can easily cause a fire, if something isn't installed correctly). Everything from cable type, strain relief, crimp types (and calibrated crimping tools, with proper implied force), layout for heatsink and thermal drain, etc are all aspects of electrical connectivity.
People seem so happy to ignore just how much energy 220,000 watts is. If something goes wrong it's going to go wrong fast.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
A gentleman by the name of duncamaio on the ford lightning form has a screenshot of him charging on with an a2z adapter. I wonder if someone can try the a2z adapter on a vehicle that hasn't received the ota update or on an unsupported vehicle.. time will tell
An Ioniq5 owner and a Livewire owner were unable to use the A2Z adapter for this purpose, so Tesla must verify that you have an approved vehicle when you plug in.
Sponsored