Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Got the opportunity to go get a full tour of the new Ford EV's and figured I would share for those who are interested.

It included the Transit van which they even said is the same as the ice van but with the guts of the Mach-E thrown in it.

The Lightning had quite a few cool items of note.
  1. The truck has scales on board and sensors in the seats to see how many people and how much load is in the truck it uses this to help determine the range. also the tail light has lights to show you the weight on the back when loading the bed or a trailer.
  2. The working side of the truck with the amount of on board power and large frunk and the bed are very good. The tailgate is the same as the 2021 demo that I'm currently driving and I dig it very nice to work off of has a spot for the pencil and tape measure. They have zone lighting all the way around the truck so working at night is also not in the dark.
  3. With the batteries between the frame rails and all the weight down low this thing can handle and the instant electric torque shoots it out of the apex of the turns I was amazed.
  4. They have IRS finally they talked about the new Independent rear suspension and how great it is and all the advantages. All I could think about is why did it take you so long then. coil springs at all four corners but no electronic control over the shocks or suspension.

Overall the whole time I was just thinking about how good the Rivian is going to be compared to this. Two motors and 426 for the model we were in and he said 0-60 was 4.5 or something. The Rivian with its 4 motors torque vectoring and double the power will be mind blowing.

Another big take away I had was Ford did as little as possible to design a new truck rather they made the current F150 electric. this may be to their benefit as some people just want the norm and what they expect but for it to be electric. Its also a lot cheaper for them as most of the cab, bed, and parts are already in production.

Rivian R1T R1S Ford Lightning EV Tour event 12

Rivian R1T R1S Ford Lightning EV Tour event 13

Rivian R1T R1S Ford Lightning EV Tour event 14

Rivian R1T R1S Ford Lightning EV Tour event 15

Rivian R1T R1S Ford Lightning EV Tour event 16

Rivian R1T R1S Ford Lightning EV Tour event 17

Rivian R1T R1S Ford Lightning EV Tour event 18

Rivian R1T R1S Ford Lightning EV Tour event 19
Sponsored

OP
OP
Blueassassin

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Another note the test drive truck that was blasting around the track i had him show me the battery gauge and range it was almost 100% maybe 95% and showed a little over 100miles range due to his driving. :oops:

OP
OP
Blueassassin

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I will probably remember more little things as they come back to me but one other cool little note.

You can set a reserve amount of power so if you are out working/ camping and using onboard power you can tell it I need x amount of miles left to get you back to a charger or home and it will cut power at that time so you don't strand yourself.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Got the opportunity to go get a full tour of the new Ford EV's and figured I would share for those who are interested.

It included the Transit van which they even said is the same as the ice van but with the guts of the Mach-E thrown in it.

1. The truck has scales on board and sensors in the seats to see how many people and how much load is in the truck it uses this to help determine the range. also the tail light has lights to show you the weight on the back when loading the bed or a trailer.
  2. The working side of the truck with the amount of on board power and large frunk and the bed are very good. The tailgate is the same as the 2021 demo that I'm currently driving and I dig it very nice to work off of has a spot for the pencil and tape measure. They have zone lighting all the way around the truck so working at night is also not in the dark.
  3. With the batteries between the frame rails and all the weight down low this thing can handle and the instant electric torque shoots it out of the apex of the turns I was amazed.
  4. They have IRS finally they talked about the new Independent rear suspension and how great it is and all the advantages. All I could think about is why did it take you so long then. coil springs at all four corners but no electronic control over the shocks or suspension.

Overall the whole time I was just thinking about how good the Rivian is going to be compared to this. Two motors and 426 for the model we were in and he said 0-60 was 4.5 or something. The Rivian with its 4 motors torque vectoring and double the power will be mind blowing.

Another big take away I had was Ford did as little as possible to design a new truck rather they made the current F150 electric. this may be to their benefit as some people just want the norm and what they expect but for it to be electric. Its also a lot cheaper for them as most of the cab, bed, and parts are already in production.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg
Why did they include a battery saw picture? I kid... I have a pre-order but as Rivian gets closer, I just don't see me holding that reservation.

OP
OP
Blueassassin

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Why did they include a battery saw picture? I kid... I have a pre-order but as Rivian gets closer, I just don't see me holding that reservation.
That's me using the 2021 loaner at the house last night I really dig the tailgate and how they have the new trucks set up which is identical to the lightning.

Sponsored

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Thanks for the info Allen!!! We'll be going to the Seattle Lightning event mid-Sept. There are many things I love about both trucks and we're getting both. The Rivian will be our personal adventure truck, while the Lightning will be a farm work-truck replacing a couple of old worn out ICE pickups. Seems there's never enough pickups on the farm. ?‍??‍? ? Excited about both!

Rivian R1T R1S Ford Lightning EV Tour event SwansAtFarm20Mar2019

Last edited:

trickledown

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500, Mercedes SL550, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
retired
Just got an email from Ford. They've invited me to their "meet & greet" to see the new F-150 lightning. I'm a 7/5/21 reservation holder. At first I assumed that it would be held at one of "the usual suspects" locations such as Los Angeles, Seattle, New York, etc.
Wow, as a Florida resident I was shocked to see the Daytona International Speedway as one of the choices.... 7 miles from my home. I'll be there!
Great communications from Ford
BTW I'm a lonely R1-T 3/5/2019 reservation holder.

Rivian R1T R1S Ford Lightning EV Tour event ford

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Just got an email from Ford. They've invited me to their "meet & greet" to see the new F-150 lightning. I'm a 7/5/21 reservation holder. At first I assumed that it would be held at one of "the usual suspects" locations such as Los Angeles, Seattle, New York, etc.
Wow, as a Florida resident I was shocked to see the Daytona International Speedway as one of the choices.... 7 miles from my home. I'll be there!
Great communications from Ford
BTW I'm a lonely R1-T 3/5/2019 reservation holder.

ford.jpg
We're going tomorrow (9/17/21) for the Seattle commercial-fleet demo tour. You are lucky to have one so close by!!! It will be a 3.5 hr drive for us.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I registered within a few minutes of the live reveal starting online, so would expect invite to the Los Angeles event. tick, tick, tick (checks email too frequently)

5/19/2021 6:35pm (Pacific)
Resv. 10816066

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
There are a fair number of things I do really like about the Lightening. Namely, the bed size, and the scales.

But, at the same time, as I drive my own Ram 1500 around and try and smoosh into a parking spot at the local grocer vs. when I park my Tesla X, that size (width especially) becomes an issue.

I'm also not keen on the 150KW charging rate... that's really bad, especially when you consider the size of those batteries.

BlueCruise is complete crap as well in my opinion (though, not having seen what Rivian is up to, my Tesla AP/FSD may have spoiled me for highway driving).

I AM super jealous of those of you that got into the event, the Seattle one filled up in like... seconds. So even though I am a pre-order holder, I won't be able to see one first hand (and I've been told the Platinum level one is ammmmmmmmazing on the inside).

I will be curious about their eMPG. The R1T is about the same efficiency as the MachE, so I'm guessing the F150 will be... pretty horrific given the general lack of aero they put into it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blueassassin

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I was trying to get the Empg out of them they must have an estimate but I bet it cant be good. the Rivian has the ability to lower for better aero and just looks like its more slippery in the wind.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I was trying to get the Empg out of them they must have an estimate but I bet it cant be good. the Rivian has the ability to lower for better aero and just looks like its more slippery in the wind.
My understanding is that the 300 mile version has a 177+ KWh pack on it.... not... a great watt/mile breakdown.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
My understanding is that the 300 mile version has a 177+ KWh pack on it.... not... a great watt/mile breakdown.
If you are referring to the Rivian, the kWh available is ~135 (it takes a touch over 150 kWh to recharge from 0% to 100% and charging losses are about 10%).

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
If you are referring to the Rivian, the kWh available is ~135 (it takes a touch over 150 kWh to recharge from 0% to 100% and charging losses are about 10%).
No, the Lightening being 177ish KW for their 300 mile version is what I was referencing.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg
Great Information! thanks for sharing!
Sponsored