Ford 'Lightning' affordable BEV truck trims

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
For a local, non-road trip truck, I think I'd actually go with the Pro work truck model. I've always been OK with rubber floors, and if you didn't like vinyl you could easily have seats covered with Katzkin for probably $1500. The Katzkin leather is very high quality (thicker than most OEM), fit perfectly, and you can even get two tone or custom look.

https://katzkin.com/what-do-you-drive/ford-f-150-leather-seats/
But is it vegan? ?
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
You may be sick of hearing about the 'Lightning' in a Rivian forum (no thanks to Rivian's shitty communications team), but this article had enough substantive info that I figured others might find the read interesting.

The least expensive $40k 230-mile capable trim is going to find a ton of sales for around-town utility and commercial use. Being able to get the 300 mile battery in a decently outfitted truck in the $50k range should scare the hell out of Tesla - if they'd only realize that majority of the public puked at the CT design.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/40k-ford-f-150-lightning

yes, truck in video has the full LED bar, so not the base trim.
the article itself does have photos of Base exterior & interior

I understand that some people find the CT design way off or crazy or whatever. I did too. However, the tri motor Ct is less money and has way more features than the Ford and Rivian and way way more a range. Range is king. Pound for pound The CT wins. But is ugly To most people.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
If I was in for a truck, I would go for F-150 since it would be cheaper and it does not look bad either. CT for me is a no go as the build quality would be just as bad as the rest of the Tesla fleet. Unless you plan to buy 2 CT so you can always use one to tow the other to the service shop.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I absolutely hate that light bar. It looks like a cheap plastic add-on to me with really crappy plastic that's going to degrade. It may not, but that's how it looks to me. The fake grill isn't much better, but it at least stands out less to me. If I end up getting one, I'd try to kit out a Lariat trim without the full light bar.
Agree, it looks like a “me too” effort by the designers because rivian, hummer, and cybertruck did it, we have to have a full led bar as well!
I especially don’t like the rest, it’s so weird how it crosses over but then has almost normal f150 tail lights attached to it.

Sponsored

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
If I was in for a truck, I would go for F-150 since it would be cheaper and it does not look bad either. CT for me is a no go as the build quality would be just as bad as the rest of the Tesla fleet. Unless you plan to buy 2 CT so you can always use one to tow the other to the service shop.
Tesla build quality has improved dramatically in recent years, to the point that it’s basically on par with the big 3 at this point. For RELIABILITY, not build quality, it should be pretty bullletproof, especially compared to Ford, as the Tesla drive systems and electronics have been around and in use for billions of miles over the last decade. How many miles does Ford have on their inverter, drive unit, battery, etc….

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Tesla build quality has improved dramatically in recent years, to the point that it’s basically on par with the big 3 at this point. For RELIABILITY, not build quality, it should be pretty bullletproof, especially compared to Ford, as the Tesla drive systems and electronics have been around and in use for billions of miles over the last decade. How many miles does Ford have on their inverter, drive unit, battery, etc….
Just because people keep saying it doesn't make it real.

My early Model S was hot garbage, the Model 3 and Model Y's continued the trend, and then there is this from just 60 days ago: The Electric Man Isn't Happy With Tesla Model Y Build Quality For March (insideevs.com)

Edit:

Here is one from two days ago: Has Tesla Improved The Model Y Build Quality For May 29th? - YouTube It's literally the same crap that was present in my car from nearly 10 (!!!) years ago.

Last edited:

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
I pre-ordered a Tri-motor Cybertruck and a R1T. I'm a big fan of Tesla (owner/investor) but I also wants some competition for Tesla (to keep Tesla sharp and focus) and Rivian is the closest thing. Ford Lighting is really made for "work" while CT and Rivian are more lifestyle trucks.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Tesla supporters in general are about the new technology introduced, which to be fair, Tesla has changed the game. But I owned 2 Model S, my newer was worse than the older one, I know a couple with 2 year old Model S and Model 3, they love their cars, and I loved the to drive mine, but they do not seem to care about the problems they are having; for them, the technology was worth the hassle. For me, it is never worth the hassle.

The quality is not always about the inverter, electric motor, or drive unit ( my drive unit failed and almost killed me btw ) but when you drive a 120K car, and your passenger window is stuck open for 9 months because they can't get you the part, and when you get it, they realize it's the wrong one! Or when you park your car and it decides to die. Or you go to work, then come down to your car to find the trunk fully open by itself and they could not fix it ( I had to walk them through the fix ) and so on, many many problems related to everyday items and not just EV specific components.

Don't get me wrong, I want them to do better to keep the competition on their toes, but if I had to choose a Ford vehicle to buy, it would be the F-150, no other car they make is ever a consideration for me, so i do expect their EV truck to be just as robust.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Looks like Lariat + Extended Battery is probably the closest package to the R1T Adventure? Maybe a couple of features are still missing from Lariat, like phone as key and possibly some tow support, but it's close enough, I think.

I am sure many people will think the XLT with extended battery is plenty for their needs and desires. Others will think those extra small features are worth the premium going from Lariat to Platinum.

What are the pricing comparisons (before tax credit) for:

XLT + Extended Battery vs. C1T Explore
Lariat + Extended Battery vs. C1T Adventure

I'll bet those are the two most people will compare directly. Without the extended battery, F150L will easily win price comparisons for those who are more price than range sensitive.
The height-adjustable suspension on the Rivians is a big differentiator to me. If Ford adds that as an option later or creates a Lincoln product on that platform and it is available then I’d consider cross-shopping.

edit: typo so changed add to adds
Sponsored

Last edited: