LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

You may be sick of hearing about the 'Lightning' in a Rivian forum (no thanks to Rivian's shitty communications team), but this article had enough substantive info that I figured others might find the read interesting.

The least expensive $40k 230-mile capable trim is going to find a ton of sales for around-town utility and commercial use. Being able to get the 300 mile battery in a decently outfitted truck in the $50k range should scare the hell out of Tesla - if they'd only realize that majority of the public puked at the CT design.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/40k-ford-f-150-lightning

yes, truck in video has the full LED bar, so not the base trim.
the article itself does have photos of Base exterior & interior

Sponsored

wdlikatruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ipace, cx-9
Occupation
attorney
You may be sick of hearing about the 'Lightning' in a Rivian forum (no thanks to Rivian's shitty communications team), but this article had enough substantive info that I figured others might find the read interesting.

The least expensive $40k 230-mile capable trim is going to find a ton of sales for around-town utility and commercial use. Being able to get the 300 mile battery in a decently outfitted truck in the $50k range should scare the hell out of Tesla - if they'd only realize that majority of the public puked at the CT design.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/40k-ford-f-150-lightning

Yes. Yes. And Yes. The closer F150L production gets to Rivian's actual production, the more appealing the F150L becomes. 300-mile XLT at ~$60k looks great. Why? It's a truck, +1ft bed, frunk = better design/access/utility, power the home, and finally -- don't need: huge screen, auto-drive, fancy seats/stereo, or being monitored by manufacturer (data connection). Also, CT specs and pricing will all very likely change radically at production/sale.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Curious how the base model maintains 4WD yet has less horsepower... that means it still has a 2-motor setup but one or both are de-rated? I understand a smaller battery means less mileage but not how it reduces available power.

Anyone good a good speculation on this?

P.S. having configured many new F-150 ICE trucks online, I can tell you that "smaller display" is the top-of-the-line horizontal display for the regular trucks in the mid to high level trims only. So is the two bucket / console-shifter setup an upgrade on lesser trims and unavailable on the lowest. So Ford is really pouring a lot of value into that "Pro" base trim model.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yes. Yes. And Yes. The closer F150L production gets to Rivian's actual production, the more appealing the F150L becomes. 300-mile XLT at ~$60k looks great. Why? It's a truck, +1ft bed, frunk = better design/access/utility, power the home, and finally -- don't need: huge screen, auto-drive, fancy seats/stereo, or being monitored by manufacturer (data connection). Also, CT specs and pricing will all very likely change radically at production/sale.
and..... CarPlay ;-)

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Looks like Lariat + Extended Battery is probably the closest package to the R1T Adventure? Maybe a couple of features are still missing from Lariat, like phone as key and possibly some tow support, but it's close enough, I think.

I am sure many people will think the XLT with extended battery is plenty for their needs and desires. Others will think those extra small features are worth the premium going from Lariat to Platinum.

What are the pricing comparisons (before tax credit) for:

XLT + Extended Battery vs. C1T Explore
Lariat + Extended Battery vs. C1T Adventure

I'll bet those are the two most people will compare directly. Without the extended battery, F150L will easily win price comparisons for those who are more price than range sensitive.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
If the two were starting deliveries at the same time, I have to admit I'd go with a fully decked out F-150 Platinum. It has even more features I would love to have that, as far as we know, Rivian does not offer. I'm sticking with Rivian for now only because I needed a good electric pickup 3 years ago and can't wait much longer. I think both are great, but I'd love to have the additional features the Ford is offering.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I absolutely hate that light bar. It looks like a cheap plastic add-on to me with really crappy plastic that's going to degrade. It may not, but that's how it looks to me. The fake grill isn't much better, but it at least stands out less to me. If I end up getting one, I'd try to kit out a Lariat trim without the full light bar.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
For a local, non-road trip truck, I think I'd actually go with the Pro work truck model. I've always been OK with rubber floors, and if you didn't like vinyl you could easily have seats covered with Katzkin for probably $1500. The Katzkin leather is very high quality (thicker than most OEM), fit perfectly, and you can even get two tone or custom look.

https://katzkin.com/what-do-you-drive/ford-f-150-leather-seats/

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I'm still hung up on the R1T 3.0 zero to 60 time. That's one thing the blue oval doesn't have.

Other than that, the Lightning is compelling. Need to see some more pricing details to really compare the two.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Officially announced :$10k for upgrade to battery for Pro edition
So doing some extrapolation based on 300 mile pro edition for commercial folks at $50k

XLT starts at $53K; ?$63k for 300 mile version?
Lariat starting at? $63k? $73k 300 mile?
Platinum starting at? $78k? 300 mile is standard

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Officially announced :$10k for upgrade to battery for Pro edition
So doing some extrapolation: pro edition for commercial folks= $50k

XLT starts at $53K; ?$63k for 300 mile version?
Lariat starting at? $63k? $73k 300 mile?
Platinum starting at? $78k? 300 mile is standard
I'm blindly hoping that the bigger pack will be less on the more expensive trims. Get that Lariat around 70 and make my decision really difficult between the Lariat and an Explore trim R1T :headbang:

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
I'm blindly hoping that the bigger pack will be less on the more expensive trims. Get that Lariat around 70 and make my decision really difficult between the Lariat and an Explore trim R1T :headbang:
Yeah, really curious how they break it down. Looking at the ICE model price breaks, the platinum lightning is actually dang close to parity with the ICE Platinum based on the max of $90k advertised.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Yeah, really curious how they break it down. Looking at the ICE model price breaks, the platinum lightning is actually dang close to parity with the ICE Platinum based on the max of $90k advertised.
I was bored and did some napkin math at work.
-Price jump from XLT to Lariat in the gas models is ~7k, so even with a small bump for newness that should hopefully put the Lariat at 60k with an 8k bump over the XLT Lightning.
-Going from XLT gas to XLT Lightning was about a 12k bump, so again going from Lariat gas to Lariat Lightning would be ~13k, putting it around 60k.
-If the big pack sticks at 10k (like I said hoping for a little discount) that should be right around 70k for the Lariat with the big pack.

I'm sure Ford will announce it at 80k just to shut me up though. :p
Sponsored