Sponsored

Ford launching 'Charge Angels' - To evaluate and fix broken chargers.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Last edited:

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
It’s something the networks should be doing themselves, but maybe there’s some advantage to having it done by Ford for all of the networks. The drivers will be hopping around multiple chargers in a particular area instead of just jumping from area to area all day.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It’s something the networks should be doing themselves, but maybe there’s some advantage to having it done by Ford for all of the networks. The drivers will be hopping around multiple chargers in a particular area instead of just jumping from area to area all day.
Agreed. He mentioned this when he was on the insideevs podcast. Ford should be able to get the data automatically by reporting home anytime the car doesn't get what it's asking for from a charger that it should be.

It's weird to me that EA seemingly can't figure out how to do that automatically and is so reliant on customers reporting poor Performa. Like... how is that not a basic QOS function that they have?

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
EA did recently update their displays to show what the vehicle is asking for and what is being delivered. At least this way the user can identify if it is the car or the charger that is causing low power delivery. FYI, this is a Hummer prototype pulling 140kW at 90%SoC. Looks like this one has the 165KWh battery with 300 mile range.

Rivian R1T R1S Ford launching 'Charge Angels' - To evaluate and fix broken chargers. HummerAt90

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Agreed. He mentioned this when he was on the insideevs podcast. Ford should be able to get the data automatically by reporting home anytime the car doesn't get what it's asking for from a charger that it should be.

It's weird to me that EA seemingly can't figure out how to do that automatically and is so reliant on customers reporting poor Performa. Like... how is that not a basic QOS function that they have?
Yeah, ideally it should be the Service Provider who should be doing this. But at least it's good Ford is initiating this and with them being the biggest (?) EA partner in North America, can work with EA more productively in fixing these chargers.

I assume Ford is going to focus their efforts on EA chargers right now, due to supporting Plug-and-Charge through the Ford Pass network and once they start adding additional networks into the Ford Pass charging network, they will expand their scope.

I imagine this has everything to do with the F150 lightning and they want people to buy it, without having to constantly hear critiques saying, 'Biggest flaw is the charging network' and deter the non-EV savvy person buying the F150.

This could also be a push by Ford to get an advantage over the RAN network for people into get an F150 instead of the R1T.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
EA did recently update their displays to show what the vehicle is asking for and what is being delivered. At least this way the user can identify if it is the car or the charger that is causing low power delivery. FYI, this is a Hummer prototype pulling 140kW at 90%SoC. Looks like this one has the 165KWh battery with 300 mile range.

HummerAt90.jpeg
Damn this is impressive.
Pulling 140KW at 90% !!!
Maybe like the eTron, GM is reserving some of the top end of the battery.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Damn this is impressive.
Pulling 140KW at 90% !!!
Maybe like the eTron, GM is reserving some of the top end of the battery.
And it's a big ass battery that has an 800v architecture. That's part of the reason I've been so pointed about being borderline disappointed by the rumored R1T curve. The R1T only pulling 145kw at like 50% charge is very conservative, and I hope is a software decision by them to learn more after production than a hardware limitation.

HummerAt90.jpeg
That's pretty nuts. A couple of notes:
1. Don't trust the "vehicle requested" value blindly. I've seen it wrong several times. I'm sure they'll fix it (and maybe they have), but it hasn't been reliable so far.
2. How is it at 140kW, when it's taken 45 minutes to charge 99kwh. The rate increased at a higher SOC?
3. I think thas a ~200kwh bummer, which matches with 99kwh after 50% charged.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah… something odd with that data. Could be several explanations, of course, but that charging session has averaged 132kW over the 45 minutes.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
So strange. I never think about these broken chargers.
when I need a charge I simply ask Tess to go find one and she navigates directly to the spot, I know in advance how many open and available chargers their are, I plug in and charge for free.
‘’easy peasy.‘’

yes. This is the reason Tesla has such a big advantage Over everyone else. the Super Charging network

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah… something odd with that data. Could be several explanations, of course, but that charging session has averaged 132kW over the 45 minutes.
Rivian R1T R1S Ford launching 'Charge Angels' - To evaluate and fix broken chargers. 1633847149182

Rivian R1T R1S Ford launching 'Charge Angels' - To evaluate and fix broken chargers. 1633847179932

Playing around on GM's website. Appreciate the clarity. It's going to be crazy to see how much power that thing takes in while charging as well as how much it uses on the highway. It's apparently going to be the first vehicle in the U.S. to max out 350 kwh chargers, and for a reasonable period of time at that. Can't wait to see people be surprised by how it only gets like 1.75 miles/kwh.

Pure excess in almost every way. 'Merica

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1633847149182.png

1633847179932.png

Playing around on GM's website. Appreciate the clarity. It's going to be crazy to see how much power that thing takes in while charging as well as how much it uses on the highway. It's apparently going to be the first vehicle in the U.S. to max out 350 kwh chargers, and for a reasonable period of time at that. Can't wait to see people be surprised by how it only gets like 1.75 miles/kwh.

Pure excess in almost every way. 'Merica
And the 800V charging is an option! Not every Hummer EV will be able to do 350kW charging. Anybody without that option is in for an even bigger surprise, especially if their charge sessions average something like the one shown above. 45 minutes to add <175 miles of range. Oof. And you’ve been worried about the Rivian’s charge curve being slower than you hoped!

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
So strange. I never think about these broken chargers.
when I need a charge I simply ask Tess to go find one and she navigates directly to the spot, I know in advance how many open and available chargers their are, I plug in and charge for free.
‘’easy peasy.‘’

yes. This is the reason Tesla has such a big advantage Over everyone else. the Super Charging network
This is why I don't expect Lord Elon to open up the supercharger network, despite what ever he claims. He is not going to give up the only advantage Tesla has in selling BEVs right now.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
This is why I don't expect Lord Elon to open up the supercharger network, despite what ever he claims. He is not going to give up the only advantage Tesla has in selling BEVs right now.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
And the 800V charging is an option! Not every Hummer EV will be able to do 350kW charging. Anybody without that option is in for an even bigger surprise, especially if their charge sessions average something like the one shown above. 45 minutes to add <175 miles of range. Oof. And you’ve been worried about the Rivian’s charge curve being slower than you hoped!
Tbf, it's only an option on the smaller battery pack for the Hummer. So closer to the Rivian's size.

That pack won't be out for awhile anyway, I wonder if they ditch it as an option by the time the small pack is available.

Regarding the session above... that can't be right. Lol. Something was up.
Sponsored