Sponsored

Ford announces launch of largest electric vehicle charging network in the US

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I wonder if this partnership with Ford will bring that charging costs down for just Ford owners (Fordpass) or if this will be an overall benefit or available pass to other EV owners.
I assume the 12,000 charging stations will be in addition to what already is out there vs just a partnership and they now have the "biggest network" just because.
A lot of info still missing from this announcement, but hey, it increased their stock value i guess :/

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/17/cars/ford-electric-vehicle-charging-network/index.html
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Hopefully the Ford partnership will result in a similar agreement for Rivian. I think economies of scale & attention from the large manufacturers will lead to CCS charging infrastructure that exceeds Tesla's.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
I just saw this announcement this afternoon. I was disappointed in the article, it sounds 100% like marketing with no substance. Questions remain, but it sounds like a usage agreement that has nothing to do with Ford actually 'launching' anything. And it leaves Electrify America free to continue charging exorbitant amounts for its charging services other than to Fordpass folks. And if Ford is profit sharing with them, it may be expensive for Fordpass people, too.

We'll see.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Ford is not building any new charging stations. They are simply providing access to existing stations using a single account. Only a fraction of the 12,000 stations are Level 3 fast charging - the majority are Level 2. The biggest problem with DCFC charging is the current build out is focused on heavily travelled routes, much like Tesla started out with 5 years ago. At this point Tesla has expanded to cover lesser travelled rural areas that aren't even on the radar for DCFC networks yet. Rivian has promised to build charging stations in the forgotten areas that cover their adventurous demographic, but realistically it'll be a couple years after release before most are up and running.

JackA

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Pluginncw.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model S - Reservation/Deposit R1S
Electrify America and Greenlots are public use charging opportunities. Both are open to public request for new locations. It is true that because both are for profit companies (Electrify America is a VW diesel fraud penalty funded company) the proposed location will need to be one that has a reasonable expectation of consistent usage at an economically sustainable level. Electrify America has worked with Walmart Stores for hosting sites. Walmart is in many rural areas so this has helped "spread" L3 charging into some areas that might not have been considered. Remember too that L3 charging is difficult to provision with adequate electrical power and the equipment is expensive. I worked on a five station project that carried a nearly $500,000 price estimate. ROI is nearly non-existent.
Sponsored