Sponsored

Forbes - Second Wave Of Coronavirus Could Delay Rivian’s RT1 Electric Pickup

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Ignoring the fact that the author didn't even get the model number correct, here's a somewhat interesting new Forbes article on Rivian. While they don't share any hard facts or real information (it's all speculation), there are some interesting tidbits to be found:

There are 17,000 parts in an electric vehicle without considering fasteners and other bits and pieces. If a supplier of one of those parts in based in Germany or Mexico shuts down due to Covid-19, Rivian will have to find an alternative source for the same component. That takes time and could potentially idle assembly lines.
and
The coronavirus shutdown delayed the launch of Rivian’s flagship R1T electric pickup to May 2021. It’s still unclear whether the freshman automaker will hit its target.
This is the first time I've seen a new target date, other than the CarBuzz article that stated June '21.

Full Article: Second Wave Of Coronavirus Could Delay Rivian’s RT1 Electric Pickup
Sponsored

Last edited:

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Before I ignore this thread I will say I don't need hearsay from another reporter without any facts or substance.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
If Rivian doesn't have multiple sources for all the parts they need they are not nearly as smart as I give them credit for being.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Dual sourcing is the preferred strategy in the auto industry, but sometimes it's not possible to line up multiple sources of supply, especially for a startup without established credibility and when the parts, components or systems being sourced are something entirely new. But I too give Rivian and RJ credit for being smart enough (and experienced enough) to have figured this out.

I don't give the author of the Forbe's piece a lot of credit, however.

It's not exactly a hatchet job, but the author wants to say something different than what everyone else is saying and, since that's been favorable to Rivian, she sets out to cobble together a story that says something less favorable, even if it's not negative. She pulls a few "what if" threads from here and there, and says let's not rush to be clapping Rivian on the back.

All of that's okay, not journalistically laudable but okay.

What's not okay is to make predictions about when production will begin, how long it takes to set up service, talk about first mover advantages and a bunch of other things without knowing what she's talking about. She doesn't distinguish, for example, between starting assembly for the first year's partial production and when the plant will be at full capacity. The latter will take at least a year or two, but that won't stop 30 or 40 thousand vehicles from rolling off the lines in the meantime.

She doesn't distinguish between being first to market and first mover advantages. First to market is a marketing feather in your cap. First mover advantages accrue when you have established yourself as the front runner in terms of production and sales, when your product is accepted as normative by many consumers. First to market and first mover advantages are very different.

And there are lots of other bits and pieces that could be picked apart, such as saying Rivian has hired "several veteran auto industry" experts, the "17,000 parts count" to a BEV, and calling Rivian a "novelty upstart". I'm surprised the editors at Forbes allowed it to be published.

We could say "no news is bad news" and leave it at that, and I'm willing to do so with the following modification. No news is bad news if the basic facts are right.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Having multiple suppliers doesn't necessarily insulate you from the repercussions of a global pandemic.

With Forbes I might expect some semblance of journalism but it all really boils down to the fact that headlines generate ad revenue. The days of fact checking, proof reading... heck, sometimes even spell checking... are long gone.
Sponsored