Sponsored

For those who got R1S (or R1T) at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k?

boxedlunch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Preorder R1S
Nope. With far less moving parts electric vehicles should not cost what they do. Elon Musk’s wealth is proof of that. Their markup is off the chart. Yes I bought one anyways but a model 3, kept the options to a minimum. I’m sure this will all change when the monopoly is over. The younger generation strives to get rich overnight. Just my thoughts.
Elon's 51 years old...a long "get rich overnight" professional timeline. Yes, he's an a**hole. No, Tesla is not a monopoly.
Sponsored

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

For those who have taken delivery of R1S at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k? Awkwardly asking if you love the R1S enough to have paid the new price. If any R1T owners want to give their opinions that would great also. thanks
I would and have.
Got my R1T with early pricing (and 2% interest), and ordered the R1S for the wife at new pricing a few months ago. I really should have considered doing both way back when, but you live and you learn. My R1T has been awesome, but with the R1S I would love to see the 2 motor + long range battery. If that can someday get me to 400 miles I would have no problem justifying the added cost.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
No. At that price Volvo XC90 seems like a better deal at 80k.

Also at that price point, I'll put couple thousands more and get the basic EQS. The ONLY reason I'm getting this is the 3rd row space without cargo compromise while still being relatively short vehicle bumper to number..i have no need for quad motor or gazillion HP.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

No. At that price Volvo XC90 seems like a better deal at 80k.

Also at that price point, I'll put couple thousands more and get the basic EQS. The ONLY reason I'm getting this is the 3rd row space without cargo compromise while still being relatively short vehicle bumper to number..i have no need for quad motor or gazillion HP.

XC 90 is a joke. Mild hybrid. LMFAO. Offroad performance is laughable

Look at that pathetic interior.

You're making apples to oranges comparison.

I would rather pick up the base model Rivian R1S with dual motors and regular battery for $78,000 over the XC 90 AWD for $72,095 (Ultimate with air suspension) joke you're suggesting

EQS for couple thousand more is just blowing money for a Mercedes logo so you can flex. Its slower, smaller and played out like a benz is.

Its a Mercedes in 2023. No one gives a shit about that brand anymore. We're no longer in the 1990s

Last edited:

Sponsored

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
XC 90 is a joke. Mild hybrid. LMFAO. Offroad performance is laughable

Look at that pathetic interior.

You're making apples to oranges comparison.
Perhaps they meant EX90?

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
After I receive my R1T in a couple weeks, I can answer this better. My original thoughts are that the price point is pretty darn high. But a Max Pack with dual motors and really good range is very compelling. But only if the other aspects of the vehicle are equally compelling, which I won't really know until my truck arrives.

So to answer the question, I would probably not order one at today's pricing without experience and I would not be able to garner that experience without the old pricing.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

Perhaps they meant EX90?

That is slightly better but still a hard pass.

AWD Rivian R1S for $78,000 is a much better value / cheaper with a little bit of range hit. You can upgrade the battery and get more range than the Volvo for just $4000 more compared to the Volvo.

Every car company will struggle to compete with the base model Rivian R1S in LA Silver / Black Mountain / Dark Ash Wood interior with 21" road wheels, panoramic roof, 0-60 4.5 sec / 600 HP for $78,000.

Nothing comes close to the all around performance / value and footprint.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I’m in the camp of, yea, I think the R1T is worth the new pricing. But I would not be able to afford it.

If I had the money, or better said, the budget, then I would still get it. But the combo of the pre March pricing, the tax rebate put it within my budget.

I think Rivian is making an incredible product. I think there is industry agreement that the new pricing is more inline with expectations. I’m glad I reserved when I can afford it though. There are plenty of folks richer than me that are likely to still want to buy these.

RTChiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
Clubs

no - but would go for similar price I paid (pre-March) and get the dual motor.. it is a great car for around $75k - dual motor would be sufficient

Sponsored

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
Would I buy it for $93k…after driving it for a few weeks the answer is yes.
I got my R1S in December for $78k - 7.5k Federal - 2.5k Colorado credit = $68k - now that makes it a bargain and it’s a vehicle that’s sooo much fun to drive…first road-trip to Crested Butte under the belt and it was a blast and R1S performed great even in 0F weather averaging 2miles/KWh. so yes would by for higher price point too.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

No, I would not buy the R1S for the new price. It was compelling to me back with the 2018 prices. Fast forward 4.5 years, I’m still patiently waiting for mine.

There are several ICE vehicles that have a reasonably comfortable 3rd row that I’d get for much cheaper.

Perhaps my opinions would change once I get my R1S and I’ve driven it enough though.

Uncle Stave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Chevy Bolt
I finally took delivery of my R1S last week! (5/20 order, El Cap, Forest Edge, 20"AT). It's beautiful. And a ridiculously powerful beast on the road. And contrary to some reviews, it drives great fast and hard in the hills and windy hwy roads. And I love the digital vent adjustment. Can't wait to get it off road!! I would absolutely buy it at the current price.
Sponsored