Sponsored

For those who got R1S (or R1T) at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k?

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Confirmed owner, R1S. I would not purchase at the higher price. Part of that is just my personal economics and decisions on what I want to spend whether it's "worth it" or not. Part of that is the is it worth it conversation, though. Had I not purchased the R1S, I probably would have purchased a new 3 row Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve. They're in the $70K range to start. I previously drove a 2014 JGC Summit and loved it. It was nice - looked and drove well - smooth, offroad capable, and also very comfortable. Great to hitting the trails, chauffeuring a customer, and date nights. In the R1S, I was looking for something similar but electric and with a 3rd row. I largely got that. On paper the R1S nailed that. After 3 months and ~6K miles, I'm happy with my R1S but I also realize I'm driving something of a beta vehicle. For $75K minus the $7500 tax credit - I'm happy with that. For $92K without the tax credit, a nearly $25K swing, I'm not. The new JGC has a seriously nice interior. The palermo leather is posh. The Quadra-Lift (the air ride suspension) worked great in my 2014. It was smooth, nearly silent, and never caused issues. How much better is it now? In my R1S, it's a little sudden and jerky at times, very loud with lots of beeping and hissing. I have no idea if this is normal or not. There aren't enough people driving them. The JGC has an available HUD, Rivian doesn't. The Rivian is significantly faster than my JGC was but honestly, I'm not sure it's heads and shoulders better in other ways than a new one would be. I love phone key, the connectedness, the OTAs. I like the larger display. But would I pay >$20K, roughly 25% more for an R1S than a new JGC? For me, no.
Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
If only Tesla made a real SUV.

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S,Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430, Passat VR6
Clubs

This thread would be vastly more valuable as a data point if all the responses were from confirmed owners. There's a wide number of 'no' responses that don't even have a config in their signatures, which obviously doesn't truly mean anything, but I'm seriously questioning how many of these responses are forum trolls or people that don't own a vehicle and just want to shit on Rivian.

Not saying that *IS* the case, but because there's no way to validate how many 'no' answers actually HAVE an R1, this thread is pretty much meaningless/pointless. The same can obviously be said that some of the "Yes" responses may be people that don't have an R1 but want to prop up Rivian for whatever motivation they have.
IMHO as a R1S reservation holder, my opinion is valid for a category for those of us who have orders and will purchase the vehicle but have not taken delivery.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Confirmed owner, R1S. I would not purchase at the higher price. Part of that is just my personal economics and decisions on what I want to spend whether it's "worth it" or not. Part of that is the is it worth it conversation, though. Had I not purchased the R1S, I probably would have purchased a new 3 row Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve. They're in the $70K range to start. I previously drove a 2014 JGC Summit and loved it. It was nice - looked and drove well - smooth, offroad capable, and also very comfortable. Great to hitting the trails, chauffeuring a customer, and date nights. In the R1S, I was looking for something similar but electric and with a 3rd row. I largely got that. On paper the R1S nailed that. After 3 months and ~6K miles, I'm happy with my R1S but I also realize I'm driving something of a beta vehicle. For $75K minus the $7500 tax credit - I'm happy with that. For $92K without the tax credit, a nearly $25K swing, I'm not. The new JGC has a seriously nice interior. The palermo leather is posh. The Quadra-Lift (the air ride suspension) worked great in my 2014. It was smooth, nearly silent, and never caused issues. How much better is it now? In my R1S, it's a little sudden and jerky at times, very loud with lots of beeping and hissing. I have no idea if this is normal or not. There aren't enough people driving them. The JGC has an available HUD, Rivian doesn't. The Rivian is significantly faster than my JGC was but honestly, I'm not sure it's heads and shoulders better in other ways than a new one would be. I love phone key, the connectedness, the OTAs. I like the larger display. But would I pay >$20K, roughly 25% more for an R1S than a new JGC? For me, no.
I've got a T, not an S, but I've never heard my air suspension or the compressor. Not sitting when I get in the vehicle and change heights. Not on road. Not offroad. Never once been able to hear it inside the vehicle. I honestly haven't paid attention while I was outside the vehicle and it was changing heights.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
I don't think I would - although it's really not an indictment of the car so much as the fact that $95k is a ton of money for *any* car and I don't think i could stomach it. Everyone's so careless on the roads or in parking lots and I can't stand the thought of daily driving that much car.

For that money there's a lot of options, although if you want that option to be EV I think you're still going to be hard pressed to find something better for that price unless you're willing to flex even more. A model X is still more expensive, the iX M60 is more expensive and neither of those match the R1s unique capabilities, the Lightning is really more different than it would seem and the performance is incomparable. I'm going to go ahead and say it's 'worth it' if you're shopping in that category.

I'm mostly concerned with the long term reliability and serviceability of the R1. I like the car, but any supposed cost savings of EV goes out the window if it behaves like an exotic in that respect.

Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I configured an R1S before the price increase and it came to $79K exactly as I wanted it. However, I never actually preordered, so the price increase coupled with the loss of the tax rebate turned me away. The value just isn't there anymore....or at least I can't justify it in my mind anymore.

My next SUV will almost certainly be a Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve.

Last edited:

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
This thread would be vastly more valuable as a data point if all the responses were from confirmed owners. There's a wide number of 'no' responses that don't even have a config in their signatures, which obviously doesn't truly mean anything, but I'm seriously questioning how many of these responses are forum trolls or people that don't own a vehicle and just want to shit on Rivian.

Not saying that *IS* the case, but because there's no way to validate how many 'no' answers actually HAVE an R1, this thread is pretty much meaningless/pointless. The same can obviously be said that some of the "Yes" responses may be people that don't have an R1 but want to prop up Rivian for whatever motivation they have.
Despite the way the OP phrased the question, one doesn't need to be an owner to provide insight or at least an opinion here. For example, see my answer above.

I was pretty much 100% sure that an R1S would be my next SUV and would replace my Grand Cherokee. Now, I'm pretty much sure that my next SUV will be a new Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve. If you take the ICE vs EV part out, the Jeep just beats the R1S all over. So much more refined and feature laden, which to me makes it a better value even if I have to keep paying escalating gas prices.

I'll most likely consider an EV again in 5 or 6 years and hope that we have more and better choices. Personally, I like more boxy midsize SUVs and there's just not much available today in the EV world. That will most definitely change in time. If Jeep comes out with a fully electric Grand Cherokee, I'll be all over it.

jhelmig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

My R1T order went up 13K with the new pricing if my memory is right. I was just going to grin and bear it. Now that I have the truck, I wouldn't have had any regrets if I had to pay the higher price. That being said, I got the grandfathered pricing AND the 2022 tax credit (with 4 days to spare :) ) so no complaints or regrets at all.

mk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3
I think that the Rivian brand lacks the value at this moment. The few service centers, the risk of the company failing, the lack of a tesla quality charging network (looking at you EA), and finally the fact that I have not gotten my camp kitchen, a key differentiator for me. No, I would not buy because there really is a risk discount.

That said if all things that are promised were there, I would probably grin and bear it.

I have one now at the pre-march price and love it

Gack

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1 Viper
Occupation
Boxmaker

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I would not buy it at the higher price. The R1T was already a high enough priced vehicle that it made me slightly uncomfortable to purchase, despite the fact that I could afford it.

Combine that with the terrible process that I went through for titling, and the knuckleheadery that continues to swirl around Rivian, and I'd be out.
  • A two to the closest service center for a tech to tell me they couldn't find the problem shouldn't cost me $1680.
  • There shouldn't be any drama about this stupid, "membership" program. I should know whati's included, for how long, and how much it will cost when it's done.
  • I shouldn't live in fear of my tonneau cover jamming like people at Burning Man.
  • Navigation should be better than MapQuest circa 1947.
I'd keep my Model S or buy a Model Y or a Mustang and then wreck it pulling out from a Cars and Coffee.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

With the discounted price of the Model Y, I’m wondering if my original $78k price for the R1S is worth it for us.
I can tell you from experience, the Model Y is a bucket of bolts in comparison to the build quality of a Model S/X or a Rivian. The Rivian quality, feel, solidity, etc, is more in line with S/X like quality. The Model 3/Y are roughly half the price for a reason. Until you've driven both, you likely don't know the difference. Some still may know the difference. But for those that have a clue to cars, the quality difference is immeasurable. I owned several Model S cars. Finally decided to try a Model 3. That last for just a few months and I went straight back to the Model S. Getting back into the Model S after being stuck with the 3 for a few months was just heavenly. My stress levels reduced 10 fold. There's a reason the Model 3 is half the price. The Model S/X just feel solid, like upper-tier German cars. The Model 3 by comparison, feels more like a lower end Chevy.

To the Model 3/Y's credit, if you're primarily into just the tech of a Tesla, then you won't be disappointed as the Model 3/Y shares most of the Tesla tech that makes a Tesla a Tesla.

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
I can tell you from experience, the Model Y is a bucket of bolts in comparison to the build quality of a Model S/X or a Rivian. The Rivian quality, feel, solidity, etc, is more in line with S/X like quality. The Model 3/Y are roughly half the price for a reason. Until you've driven both, you likely don't know the difference. Some still may know the difference. But for those that have a clue to cars, the quality difference is immeasurable. I owned several Model S cars. Finally decided to try a Model 3. That last for just a few months and I went straight back to the Model S. Getting back into the Model S after being stuck with the 3 for a few months was just heavenly. My stress levels reduced 10 fold. There's a reason the Model 3 is half the price. The Model S/X just feel solid, like upper-tier German cars. The Model 3 by comparison, feels more like a lower end Chevy.

To the Model 3/Y's credit, if you're primarily into just the tech of a Tesla, then you won't be disappointed as the Model 3/Y shares most of the Tesla tech that makes a Tesla a Tesla.
Model Y is probably the best engineered car that I’d driven until the refreshed S/X came out. I’m on my second Model Y with now 35k miles between the two cars with a 3rd that I just ordered yesterday. I’ve driven the R1T and R1S. Great cars but not perfect. R1T 2nd row seats too vertical and not enough torso height. R1S drives a bit worse than R1T which felt to me a bit plusher. The rear gate height of the R1S was engineered by someone with really long pants or dogs that can jump like they’re in the NBA. UX for Rivian blows compared to Tesla or anything with CarPlay. The HVAC controls in the Rivian make no sense.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The rear gate height of the R1S was engineered by someone with really long pants or dogs that can jump like they’re in the NBA.

The HVAC controls in the Rivian make no sense.
What suspension setting were you in? In low and lowest the rear end is more than low enough for a healthy husky to make the jump.

I have had no complaints with the HVAC at all other than the unnecessarily complicated digitally controlled vents. Even then, I adjusted them once and haven’t touched the angle they are set to since. Turn it on, set the temperature and you’re done, just like any other vehicle.

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
What suspension setting were you in? In low and lowest the rear end is more than low enough for a healthy husky to make the jump.

I have had no complaints with the HVAC at all other than the unnecessarily complicated digitally controlled vents. Even then, I adjusted them once and haven’t touched the angle they are set to since. Turn it on, set the temperature and you’re done, just like any other vehicle.
Was in lowest setting and even with that, it’s easily 6-8” taller than the back of my 4Runner. My dogs could get in but just needed a running start and they were initially reluctant. They’re 50 lb and healthy, go running/ski touring with me… I’m almost offended at the implication blaming my dogs’ health for the idiotically high lift gate. Guess that’s #millennial for you.

Maybe this is operator error so please correct me if it is. Can you have the front HVAC on and both C pillar vents on without the 2nd row HVAC on? Can you turn on the”3rd row” HVAC while having rows 1/2 off? Finally, can the 2nd row adjust temperature/fan independent of the front row?
Sponsored