Sponsored

For those who got R1S (or R1T) at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k?

Thud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I’m pretty sure I’m going with an LA Silver R1T, dual motor large pack on 21”, which is the only large-pack configuration that (in theory) will qualify for the federal tax rebate.
Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I'm having a lovely day - slow at work so plenty of time to read and respond here. The spirit of the OP's question was to justify whether or not the truck still a good value at ~$95k. Just because Jane, Joe, Jim, Sarah and Frank can't afford it at that price and aren't comfortable stretching their budgets does not mean that it's not appropriately priced or good value/"worth it". I'd argue that it is still underpriced at $95k when you look at the competition. Enjoy your day as well!
I could afford it at $92k, and I paid $92k. I would not pay $92k again for this truck. It’s not a question of “compared to the competition”. The question was “would you buy one at the new pricing.” I did, and it wasn’t worth it.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I could afford it at $92k, and I paid $92k. I would not pay $92k again for this truck. It’s not a question of “compared to the competition”. The question was “would you buy one at the new pricing.” I did, and it wasn’t worth it.
Can you elaborate on why it isn't worth $92k in your view?

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
I'm better off holding onto the R1T until I find something else that fits what I want for around $75K. Maybe the Mecan EV or the smaller Rivian.
I'm reliably informed that a mid-spec Macan EV will be around $90k (at least).

I think the lucky folks (myself included) who got their R1's at pre-March '22 price hike and also got the tax credit simply got a great deal. c.$75k (including CA tax) for what I think is the best car I've ever owned. I think it's 'worth' $90k but probably not much more.

Reality is that 'high quality' (big caveat and personal opinion here) EVs (in fact any car) are not getting cheaper any time soon.

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
This thread has really devolved...so many of these answers are coming from a personal financial lens (e.g. $80k was already pushing it for my budget so NO, or I don't want to pay $95k for a toy...). These answers are useless IMO, and I say that as someone who is near the top end of his budget in buying the R1S at $80k.

It's a simple question. Just compare the value you're getting from your R1T/R1S to what else you could get for $95k on the market. I have yet to see someone offer up another vehicle in the $90-$100k range that they would prefer.
You may find the answers useless, but I think they're all responsive to the OP's question.
Wow - thanks for the value add! My point was that answers regarding one's personal financial situation are not useful answers, whatsoever, as everyone's financial situation is different.
Wow - thanks for the value add! My point was that answers regarding one's personal financial situation are not useful answers, whatsoever, as everyone's financial situation is different.
If only there was a way for you to start your own "useful" thread... My sympathies.

Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
For those who have taken delivery of R1S at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k? Awkwardly asking if you love the R1S enough to have paid the new price. If any R1T owners want to give their opinions that would great also. thanks
Yup. (R1T person here, but feel the same about both trucks)

Especially when it’s compared to other in-market vehicles. All vehicles, especially EVs, have ratcheted up in price considerably. Even at 93k, IMO it’s a good deal.

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Nope

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Can you elaborate on why it isn't worth $92k in your view?
Build quality
  • Weak body panels, plastics, glass
  • “Vegan” leather vs real leather
  • Orange peel and dust nibs in $2,500 paint
  • Panel gaps and missing fasteners
  • Missing panels on delivery
Size — people are comparing this mid-size pickup’s price to full-size competitors

Missing features
  • CarPlay
  • Heads up display
  • Massaging seats
  • More seat adjustment (bolsters, thighs, headrests)
  • Lane changes and lane centering on unmapped roads
  • Well-thought interior storage
  • A logical key system
None of these things independently ruins the experience, but collectively they add up to an experience that does not command such a price premium. $75-80k is the right price.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Build quality
  • Weak body panels, plastics, glass
  • “Vegan” leather vs real leather
  • Orange peel and dust nibs in $2,500 paint
  • Panel gaps and missing fasteners
  • Missing panels on delivery
Size — people are comparing this mid-size pickup’s price to full-size competitors

Missing features
  • CarPlay
  • Heads up display
  • Massaging seats
  • More seat adjustment (bolsters, thighs, headrests)
  • Lane changes and lane centering on unmapped roads
  • Well-thought interior storage
  • A logical key system
None of these things independently ruins the experience, but collectively they add up to an experience that does not command such a price premium. $75-80k is the right price.
This is great. Thanks for sharing!

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
When I saw the price go up in March my first thought was I was going to wind up getting mine quicker. If you care about performance per dollar there still isn't anything that touches it for 100K. I don't off-road so I only really care about speed and performance. The car I was looking at before I got my Rivian was the RS6 avant. The only I had configured was in the 140's so my truck has a little more utility, is much cheaper to operate and even at the new price is a significant deal comparatively.

Sponsored

scottie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ModelY
I have had the R1S for a couple weeks. So far, I am impressed with the cargo space, acceleration, and exterior design.

I am pretty unhappy with the cabin/road noise, performance in snow/ice, range/efficiency, charging network, lack of snow tires for 21" wheels, seat comfort, Driver+, heat loss from the panoramic roof, lack.of bi-directional charging, and weight of the vehicle.

Rivian as a company treats their customers poorly compared to Porsche, Audi, Lexus, and Land Rover; maybe similar customer service as Volvo which is poor on the absolute scale.

I wouldn't pay a post-March price. Even with the pre-March price and the federal rebate, I think a Porsche Cayenne is a much better buy at the price point. Sure the Cayenne won't boulder in Moab, but it will get me up and down I-80 in a blizzard or towing a surf boat safely and comfortably. The GT-S version is faster then the R1S and there are a bunch of features that work (windshield wipers don't freeze, heater is effective, and you can get fuel anywhere).

Like most of you, I waited years for delivery of the R1S and honestly, it wasn't worth the wait. I recommend you put in a reservation for a Kia EV9 or the electric Volvo, unless you need to tow >5000 lbs or you regularly boulder in Moab.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
When the price increase was announced, I seriously considered switching to a dual-motor Explore Large pack. I knew I'd need the large pack, but was willing to "give up" on the niceities for it, and even delay delivery, as painful as delayed delivery would be.

On the other side - I also had a preorder for an F-150 Lightning, and an XLT Extended Range was looking *VERY* price-competitive with Rivian's increased price.

Of course, Rivian reverted pricing, and Ford increased pricing significantly before my order slot came up. (My "best case" would have been a Lightning Pro Extended Range, but Ford won't sell that to individuals, and it has gone up by over $15,000, too.)

But if it were right now? I'd probably do a Rivian Dual+Large. Ford has increased their prices way too much.
I managed to snag both the Lightning Pro as well as the R1T both before the price increases. At todays pricing for either truck? As much as I like both of them, I would’ve walked away from both of them.

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
For those who have taken delivery of R1S at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k? Awkwardly asking if you love the R1S enough to have paid the new price. If any R1T owners want to give their opinions that would great also. thanks
I'm an R1t Pickup owner. So here's my take on the question:

I’m retired so I’m probably older than most.

I’ve owned the same Ford ICE pickup for almost 20 years. When Rivian came out with the the 2022 Rivian R1T’s proposed features and benefits back in 2018, it absolutely changed my perception of what a pickup truck could be. I was enamored by the new Rivian concept, as I still am.

I knew I wanted one, though at my age, this might be the last one I would ever buy. And like everyone else back then, no one knew what the final cost would be until Rivian later announced it. And, as things turned out, I was very fortunate to be able to have saved for whatever the final cost would be. I estimated around $100,000.

Then, I waited, waited and waited, almost 3-years to get my truck.

Once during the waiting process, I almost cancelled; because I hadn’t heard a peep from Rivian for months. I remember finally writing an email and telling them that they needed to let me know when I was going to “s00n” be getting this truck, or I would cancel, because I didn’t want to get it after I was dead!

Anyway, they responded so I stayed strung along for another year, until I finally got my delivery notice and then later my new truck...an amazing vehicle.

Would I have done it again if the price was higher?

The distinction of owning the First American-Made Fully Electric Pickup in the United States is enough for me to buy one at even a higher price!

BTW I love my truck!

Last edited:

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I would, and that's because there's nothing else comparable, especially in the near term.

The iX is...not a looker and while it might win with build quality and service, a comparably priced iX is down in power and capability.

The Model X is significantly more expensive, lacks off road capability, is smaller, and has questionable build quality.

The upcoming EX90 will likely have excellent build quality and service, and will probably feel more luxury, but it's going to be down on power and capability while likely costing the same...or more than the R1S. This also applies to the Polestar 3 which even in its $90k spec is significantly down on power AND range compared to the R1S.

The upcoming EV9 will be interesting, but considering the price of an EV6 the EV9 is likely to be more expensive than people are expecting and while Kia has a larger service network their dealers have a terrible reputation.

The upcoming Macan EV will likely be priced similarly to the R1S while also being significantly smaller and lacking off road utility. Should have excellent build quality and road performance. A Cayenne EV, which is a better comparator, will likely be significantly more expensive than an R1S.

The Cadillac Lyriq isn't a competitor and an EV Escalade will certainly be more expensive than an R1S.

I'm running out of comparators, but I think the point is made. There's nothing else comparable, especially if you want both the on road performance and off road capability.
Sponsored