Sponsored

For those who got R1S (or R1T) at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k?

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
For those who have taken delivery of R1S at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k? Awkwardly asking if you love the R1S enough to have paid the new price. If any R1T owners want to give their opinions that would great also. thanks
No. If we had to pay current price for an R1S we would buy a nicely equipped BMW X7.
Sponsored

R1S88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Yes, because I think the residual value will hold up even with the competition coming. 90k less what I can get for it in 3-5 years will be worth it for me, especially with the enjoyment I am getting out of it now.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Once I got to a place in life when I could actually afford an expensive vehicle it sort of lost appeal for me. We locked into an LE for just under $75 and I had nearly a couple of years to convince myself that it was worth the price. When the price increase was announced I decided to stick it out because I had already waited a long time. When they agreed to honor the original pricing it made it easier for me to stick with the plan. While I can afford the increased price there's a part of me that just can't see spending $90K+ on a car. I think the car is still priced fairly at the higher amount but it's just more than I care to spend on something that loses value over time.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I would, for the price even today the truck preforms like no other. and if you look at the pricing of today s truck in a similar trim level, well your going to be right there. the raptor is priced 80 to 100k and the R1T out performs it (minus the jumping.) the Ram TRX 93 to 130k. F150 lightening platinum is 90k+.

The R1T is a very well executed swiss army knife of a truck. With the software updates it keeps getting better, my F150 before was exactly same the day I bought it as it was when I sold it. no software or capability improvements.
Agreed! Even though I've only had a first mile drive in an R1S. There is simply no comparable vehicle available at this (post-March) price. For the R1S - take a Model X or a Range Rover and you're already well over $100k.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
This thread has really devolved...so many of these answers are coming from a personal financial lens (e.g. $80k was already pushing it for my budget so NO, or I don't want to pay $95k for a toy...). These answers are useless IMO, and I say that as someone who is near the top end of his budget in buying the R1S at $80k.

It's a simple question. Just compare the value you're getting from your R1T/R1S to what else you could get for $95k on the market. I have yet to see someone offer up another vehicle in the $90-$100k range that they would prefer.
I'm guessing the marketing people at Rivian don't think it's useless if potential customers, for whatever reason would not buy the truck at the higher price. Even if it is because of "budget" and not value, a sale is lost.

Sponsored

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm guessing the marketing people at Rivian don't think it's useless if potential customers, for whatever reason would not buy the truck at the higher price. Even if it is because of "budget" and not value, a sale is lost.
Fair point. I bet they'll bring the price back down after one of their execs reads through the thread tonight and realizes a lot of us are stretching our budgets đź‘Ť

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That is why the R2 series is in the near term plans.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Fair point. I bet they'll bring the price back down after one of their execs reads through the thread tonight and realizes a lot of us are stretching our budgets đź‘Ť
Probably not the point of a theoretical question, but carry on. I do hope your day gets better.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
No. If we had to pay current price for an R1S we would buy a nicely equipped BMW X7.
I appreciate this answer even though in my view the X7 (at least the base model which is the only one starting under $100k) is not really comparable to the R1S from a performance lens (speed and offroading capability). To each his own!

Sponsored

epnfrn

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 4S Cab, Acura MDX, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Physician
Only had the S for a week but I’d say yes. My neighbor has a brand new GLS which is about $95k. We’ve considered one for awhile. We swapped cars for a test ride and I couldn’t wait to trade back. The Rivian feels like the future, the Mercedes feels like the past.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
A Cybertruck might not make sense anymore if you are 80 years old when it finally arrives.
2023 is going to be the year!!!

Most CT reservation holders can now see light at the end of the tunnel.

Rivian R1T R1S For those who got R1S (or R1T) at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k? 8154D6AA-AF8B-4D72-BFC4-5129E2942505

Last edited:

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I would, for the price even today the truck preforms like no other. and if you look at the pricing of today s truck in a similar trim level, well your going to be right there. the raptor is priced 80 to 100k and the R1T out performs it (minus the jumping.) the Ram TRX 93 to 130k. F150 lightening platinum is 90k+.
Anyone patient enough to wait years for a Rivian won’t be paying those prices for a TRX though. You can order one for $80k with comparable interior quality and tech packages even after all the 2023 price increases if you’re willing to wait 3-6 months for it to be built. My 2022 was a great truck but I had been waiting for years for the call to get my R1T so it had to go.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Probably not the point of a theoretical question, but carry on. I do hope your day gets better.
I'm having a lovely day - slow at work so plenty of time to read and respond here. The spirit of the OP's question was to justify whether or not the truck still a good value at ~$95k. Just because Jane, Joe, Jim, Sarah and Frank can't afford it at that price and aren't comfortable stretching their budgets does not mean that it's not appropriately priced or good value/"worth it". I'd argue that it is still underpriced at $95k when you look at the competition. Enjoy your day as well!
Sponsored