Sponsored

For those who got R1S (or R1T) at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k?

jaxrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Occupation
attorney
For those who have taken delivery of R1S at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k? Awkwardly asking if you love the R1S enough to have paid the new price. If any R1T owners want to give their opinions that would great also. thanks
Sponsored

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

No

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

When the price increase was announced, I seriously considered switching to a dual-motor Explore Large pack. I knew I'd need the large pack, but was willing to "give up" on the niceities for it, and even delay delivery, as painful as delayed delivery would be.

On the other side - I also had a preorder for an F-150 Lightning, and an XLT Extended Range was looking *VERY* price-competitive with Rivian's increased price.

Of course, Rivian reverted pricing, and Ford increased pricing significantly before my order slot came up. (My "best case" would have been a Lightning Pro Extended Range, but Ford won't sell that to individuals, and it has gone up by over $15,000, too.)

But if it were right now? I'd probably do a Rivian Dual+Large. Ford has increased their prices way too much.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I personally think a QM R1 in the $80k price range is a steal. Would I have have paid nearly $100k for the same truck, maybe not, but that has more to do with the price tag then the value vs price.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I said on these very forums before I got my R1T that I'd have paid the post-march pricing and I still feel that way. That said, I was pre-march.

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

Still waiting for the R1S at the pre-march pricing, with no delivery estimate - likely 2024 or even 2025. It's a good deal at the original price, especially with the tax credit. But the longer it takes to actually get one the more competition it will have and the greater the chance that we'll switch to something less espensive, more efficient, and faster charging.

The new pricing would be a hard no for us, especially with no tax credit.

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Probably not, because there will soon be real alternatives to the R1S that cost much less (such as KIA's EV9). I consider a "real alternative" to be a fully-electric, 3-row SUV that doesn't force significant compromises in utility, storage, range or 3rd-row comfort. In that environment, I don't think I could justify paying the much bigger premium for the R1S. I have to admit, my R1S at original pricing (plus the unqualified, full tax credit for 2022 delivery) feels like a huge steal.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

These responses are really interesting. I wonder if a bit of behavioral economics “anchoring” is a factor - pre-March preorder people are potentially more likely to anchor their perceived value of a Rivian at that price level. For others it is just an unwillingness to spend over a certain amount on any truck or SUV - a step too far.

Sponsored

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

These responses are really interesting. I wonder if a bit of behavioral economics “anchoring” is a factor - pre-March preorder people are potentially more likely to anchor their perceived value of a Rivian at that price level. For others it is just an unwillingness to spend over a certain amount on any truck or SUV - a step too far.
For us $79K (or $71.5K after tax credit) is a stretch, but seemed like a good value for a fully electric, off-road capable SUV that would potentially save us around $20K in gas over 10 years compared to an ICE SUV. We have solar panels with extra capacity, so charging at home would be essentially free. At this price it is comparable to a $50K ICE SUV after gas savings.

At $93K with no tax credit it's no longer a good value for our use case, and frankly is more than we would ever spend on a vehicle. I think all EVs are overpriced right now, and I'm hoping prices come down in the next few years but only time will tell.

Last edited:

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Absolutely not.

At the end of the day I'm simply not comfortable paying nearly $100K for a vehicle.

I'm also not really that impressed with my Rivian R1T or the service of it.

Hopefully it will get better as time goes on, but I simply don't see it as a $100K value.

The other problem with a $100K vehicle is the resale values tend to drop quickly. Like lets say I traded my R1T in on a Audi E-Tron GT. I'm afraid that would be a bad move as the resale value would drop significantly in 3 years.

I'm better off holding onto the R1T until I find something else that fits what I want for around $75K. Maybe the Mecan EV or the smaller Rivian.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Absolutely not. I would have waited for the upcoming Cybertruck.

Rivian must have had a TON of R1T cancellations before they decided to reverse the price increase decision last year.

Last edited:

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Absolutely not. I would have waited for the upcoming Cybertruck.
A Cybertruck might not make sense anymore if you are 80 years old when it finally arrives.
Sponsored