Sponsored

For those who got R1S (or R1T) at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k?

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T MB/BM, 2023 Tesla model X.
Occupation
MD
I think it will be worth the money at the new price, once they get their infotainment system to be up to par with Tesla and other companies (please note, I’m not saying for them to offer the same as Tesla, but we have to admit that navigation, being able to choose exactly how much you want to charge, phone alerting you that you didn’t plug the charger well, preconditioning, etc… is lacking on the Rivian), and once there are more RAN stations.
got mine for about 80 with all the bells and whistles I choose. I love this truck so much, I would likely be a sucker and buy it at the new price again if in need, even without the above mentioned changes 😁
Sponsored

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
XC 90 is a joke. Mild hybrid. LMFAO. Offroad performance is laughable

Look at that pathetic interior...

I would rather pick up the base model Rivian R1S with dual motors and regular battery for $78,000 over the XC 90 AWD for $72,095 (Ultimate with air suspension) joke you're suggesting

EQS for couple thousand more is just blowing money for a Mercedes logo so you can flex. Its slower, smaller and played out like a benz is.
Sounds like you're having to settle and compromise or spend more for an inferior product.

Spending $80,000 on something that doesn't look good it bonkers.

Spending more money on a smaller and slower product for a symbol is bonkers
I think your definition of "inferior product" is just different than the person you're trying to engage in your posts. You clearly want a vehicle you can show off to the neighborhood kids by drag racing at stoplights and going mudding.

If you want the fastest truck/suv then sure the Rivian wins... But most of us have different priorities in cars than we did when we were in high school.

On my daily commutes to work or trips shuttling my family around, I manage to never encounter any 3ft feel creeks than need forded, any sandy terrain or boulders that need traversed, or come across any underground street racing gangs that compel me to test out my 0-60 acceleration capabilities.

For most people that care more about convenience features and no longer brag to people about how big their d*ck is or argue about whose car is faster, I would say other vehicles are superior... Not inferior to Rivian.

Vehicles like the EC90 with true interior storage compartments and cupholders for the whole family are better, not worse.

Google maps vs Rivian navigation... Not even close.

Google Assistant vs Amazon Alexa... Come on now. We all know who wins here.

Level 3 vs level 2 autonomous driving.

Lidar vs no Lidar.

Quality control from the factory is typically better from the factory with Volvo and Mercedes than Rivian. I'm sure there will be some people reading this who are eager to report their personal experience with Volvo or Mercedes panel gaps, paint defects, etc., But we all know in general these defects are rare in most luxury vehicles.

Rivian is young and will probably improve their flaws and add features over time, but right now they aren't putting out vehicles that have typical features of other vehicles in their price range.

Last edited:

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Changing my vote after 2 weeks of ownership and 1,000 miles of awesome: If I had the money I would buy at the new price.

Previously I said I would not. But if you look, a comparable Tahoe or whatnot costs the same with 3-4x the fuel cost and more upkeep.

And Driver Plus and even adaptive cruise control are sick. I have used my break pedal about 15 times in a 1000 miles (admittedly my wife has driven about 150 of those).

Far exceeds expectation low 3000s R1s vin, produced Dec 22 delivered January 28.

Also, if you are spending this much, consider PPF'ing her. Happy I did.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I think your definition of "inferior product" is just different than the person you're trying to engage in your posts. You clearly want a vehicle you can show off to the neighborhood kids by drag racing at stoplights and going mudding.

If you want the fastest truck/suv then sure the Rivian wins... But most of us have different priorities in cars than we did when we were in high school.

On my daily commutes to work or trips shuttling my family around, I manage to never encounter any 3ft feel creeks than need forded, any sandy terrain or boulders that need traversed, or come across any underground street racing gangs that compel me to test out my 0-60 acceleration capabilities.

For most people that care more about convenience features and no longer brag to people about how big their d*ck is or argue about whose car is faster, I would say other vehicles are superior... Not inferior to Rivian.

Vehicles like the EC90 with true interior storage compartments and cupholders for the whole family are better, not worse.

Lidar vs no Lidar.

Quality control from the factory is typically better from the factory with Volvo and Mercedes than Rivian. I'm sure there will be some people reading this who are eager to report their personal experience with Volvo or Mercedes panel gaps, paint defects, etc., But we all know in general these defects are rare in most luxury vehicles.

Rivian is young and will probably improve their flaws and add features over time, but right now they aren't putting out vehicles that have typical features of other vehicles in their price range.
As former XC90 owner, all I can say is that the EX90 is fugly. I am so happy that I bought my R1T rather than wait for Volvo to miss a great opportunity.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Lidar vs no Lidar.

Lmfao. Slower, inferior product. Less capable and more expensive. You do you man.

learn to drive a car on your own without needing to rely on computers to do the driving for you.

Sponsored

wwheelkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Finance
I need some encouragement...just got the invitation to configure my R1T and it's hard to see other window stickers starting at 73k and has most of the options on a new one costing 92-94k. With no eligibility with respect to the federal tax credit...i think for sure 73 - 79k is reasonable..but 92k that is hard to accept...however, used prices are staying strong at 82-84k but soon those prices will come down and if you purchased with the new price of 92k...ouch...and driving down to FL there are hardly any charging stations. A concern as well. I do think every month new stations come online....but in a rural area it may take some time.

Shawnybs

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T CY/OC and Tesla M3P
Clubs

As a value proposition, at the new price, I do feel it is worth it! Would I buy it at that price? No, but that's because it would be too much for myself.

However as a pre-march purchase, every time I get in it I feel like stole something.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

achanster

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450H
Occupation
VP
I bought the R1T and waited 3.5 years for delivery. During that long wait my expectations became very high. After having it now nearly a year I would say that it is worth every penny. Just look at the competition gas trucks out there in the $90’s to $100’s. They can’t touch a Rivian unless you need a big bed or need towing range. For normal driver the Rivian beats everything out there and I believe the loaded adventure package should have started at 100k, not 75k. I have since placed another order for an R1S so I am putting my money where my mouth is.
Rivian R1T R1S For those who got R1S (or R1T) at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k? 0E6B343F-1D3B-4163-BEB7-09AF0B6E184B

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
I bought the R1T and waited 3.5 years for delivery. During that long wait my expectations became very high. After having it now nearly a year I would say that it is worth every penny. Just look at the competition gas trucks out there in the $90’s to $100’s. They can’t touch a Rivian unless you need a big bed or need towing range. For normal driver the Rivian beats everything out there and I believe the loaded adventure package should have started at 100k, not 75k. I have since placed another order for an R1S so I am putting my money where my mouth is.
0E6B343F-1D3B-4163-BEB7-09AF0B6E184B.jpeg
Awesome Pic!

Sponsored

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
I would say the R1T is well worth the MSRP especially when you compare this truck's capabilities with others out there at similar price points. That being said I probably would not buy the fully loaded launch edition again at the new price, not because it's not worth it but because so far I only use it for local driving and have yet to use a fraction of its capabilities and probably never will, i.e. off road or towing. I do love the truck especially the extreme acceleration but if I were to buy again I would opt for a more basic model soon to be offered.

Gentilly7

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Occupation
Real Estate Investor, IT Consultant, Small Business Owner
Rivian R1T&S may be worth the new price but the bigger question is how many people can afford it and are willing to spend it? If Rivian is ok with the the R1 series staying a relatively low volume niche product then they can keep the price as is. But, can they survive selling a niche product until R2s are being produced at volume? Rivian also needs to be conscious of the $80k threshold as going above this makes the vehicles significantly more expensive for most people due to the tax credit.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things

Lidar vs no Lidar.

I've never seen the 90 but the XC40 recharge is trash. The interior is cheap and tacky. I don't eat and drink in my car constantly so the couple cup holders it has are sufficient. I don't really use the autonomous driving near as much. I couldn't care less about lidar. I do however still possess a set of testicles and as such like to get into the pedal here and there.

If the whole "priorities changed" thing was as true as you say sports cars wouldn't exist. The only people who can afford them are my age or older and they are all stupid fast and handle well. I'd love nothing more than to be rocking a 2 seater, but I don't want a car that just sits there and I need a truck on a fairly regular basis.

I bought my Rivian primarily because of the speed and capability. I don't need cupholders, I need power.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Rivian R1T&S may be worth the new price but the bigger question is how many people can afford it and are willing to spend it? If Rivian is ok with the the R1 series staying a relatively low volume niche product then they can keep the price as is. But, can they survive selling a niche product until R2s are being produced at volume? Rivian also needs to be conscious of the $80k threshold as going above this makes the vehicles significantly more expensive for most people due to the tax credit.
IMHO I think there are a lot of $75-120k ICE pickups bought and sold that have absolutely no subsidies. I think the problem Rivian faces is that the OEM truck manufacturers have significantly stepped up their game with more horsepower, bigger bad ass image and intense advertising. Simultaneously Rivian’s infrequent advertisements touting R1s capabilities does not help.

I throughly enjoy my R1T, no issues 1 yr and 6k miles later. However, I would not buy one at current price because my threshold for what I would pay for ANY vehicle is $70k. Not counting taxes my $ layout after tax credit is $68k. But their are lots and lots of folks who are willing to spend much more whether or not they can afford it.
Sponsored