First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Genesis GV80, Coda EV
Occupation
YouTuber
What am I missing? It seems that a great deal is being made of this charging pad issue. People seem to be fretting, spending a lot of energy going to great lengths to come up with over engineered devices to solve a pretty simple problem. Why not just buy one of these wireless magsafe chargers, stick it to the existing pad with a little double sided tape and be done with. In fact, I donā€™t see why one would even need to tape it down. Oh, wait a minute. I forgot about all those 0-60 runs that might send things flying šŸ˜Š I use one of these at home and it seems to do just fine. Is there some reason this wouldnā€™t work, like easy, peasy?

AB3C8380-A23A-498E-B2D2-EDDD61256B98.jpeg
I mean, sure. Thatā€™d work. So would a Lightning cable. But thatā€™s ugly and inelegant. 3D printing a part like this takes less than 5 minutes of work and the results are quite excellent, itā€™s completely unnoticeable inside the cabin, and utilizes the wireless charging pad you already paid for when you bought the car.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Snazzy Labs

Snazzy Labs

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Genesis GV80, Coda EV
Occupation
YouTuber
I printed the correct size for my iPhone 13 for the passenger but still couldn't get it to work. It isn't aligning properly on the coil to initiate the charge. Driver side works great
What size and what Y offsets did you try? If you only printed one size, try another Y offset in each direction to see if that helps on passenger side. The coils are 2-3mm shifted on that side.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I mean, sure. Thatā€™d work. So would a Lightning cable. But thatā€™s ugly and inelegant. 3D printing a part like this takes less than 5 minutes of work and the results are quite excellent, itā€™s completely unnoticeable inside the cabin, and utilizes the wireless charging pad you already paid for when you bought the car.
Hi Quinn -

I think this whole situation with the wireless charging pad is ugly and inelegant. It basically forces the consumer to 3d print something or get someone else to, buy a 3rd party solution, fall back on using a cable, or just frickin deal. Everyone of these solutions is bad in some way or another. (the solution you replied to being particularly egregious)

Using the stock POS charging pad never worked for me with my iPhone 13 pro, even if I taped the phone down to it. It's why I created the MagSafe replacement to it initially.

This isn't the only thing that is wrong with the R1T. The center console storage area being too large and unwieldy is another. Slight lack of cup holders being too.

Love the stuff that you make, btw. I just re-watched the MacOS software videos you made when I picked one up recently and it was fantastic.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. While having a perfectly integrated charging solution would be ideal, from what I am reading, it seems that people are sure having a lot of issues with the Rivian charging pad. With this charging puck, or something similar, wouldnā€™t the connecting wire be all but invisible as it routes out of the storage cubby. Until somebody comes up with a 100% reliable, ā€œelegantā€ solution, there would appear to be a pretty darn simple one available. For some, it may be preferable to have something that works, today, rather than something that looks nice, but may or may not always work. If Iā€™m driving my new Rivian, I need something that works, right now. I can always get pretty, later. I applaud all those who are looking for a real solution to this apparent Rivian design flaw šŸ‘ Just sayinā€™.

sr_dipstick

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Toyota FJ62 Land Cruiser; VW Mk1 Cabby
I modified this print for a second generation iPhone SE (2020). Works beautifully without a case. I have a skin installed but no case. I feel naked/skinned is the only way the wireless charging pad works. Thanks OP!

Sponsored

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
If someone would put them on amazon or ebay, I'd buy them (as I'm sure many would/will). Somehow I can't justify buying a $200-500 3D printer for a $1 gadget.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
My understanding is that there are locations such as public libraries where you can print one-offs such as this. You'll likely need help however as 3D printing tends to be fiddily in most cases.

BTW - these are likely never going to be commercially produced. There are 36 variants in the link that Quinn posted.

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Give me a break, my dude. There's USB-C already baked into the console and notches specifically designed for running cables from the console to the tray. (Did Rivian engineers just put those in there so that cavemen like me could plug in our rotary phones and fax machines?)

I'm making a logical argument about the cost/benefit of wireless charging in the Rivian. Using a cable, my iphone doesn't slide around, doesn't require janky plastic parts to hold it in place, doesn't require me to solder anything or deface the truck in any way, doesn't invalidate my warranty, doesn't have any physical interference with the camera bump, doesn't require me to constantly remove/reattach the magsafe wallet or the case, and MY PHONE CHARGES FASTER.

Your argument is that YOU think that wireless charging is "amazing" and that I'm a caveman. LOL. It's wireless phone charging not nuclear fission. But you do you, my dude.

The USBC outlets on the truck slow charge. It's not usbc pd. I really hope this is something they can fix later on.

kross

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Thanks for the pointer, I ordered two different 76mm for my oneplus 9 pro from the thingaverse files via treatstock. Hopeful that it works out. When driving as-is, my phone skates around a bit and beeps in and out of charging range.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Zero effort or time other than pulling up the old pad, buying non-OEM magnet kits, soldering wires, printing out 3D plastic phone holsters, etc, etc... :)

Believe me I get the promise of wireless charging. I've just never actually experienced it in practice (in the Rivian or in my Google wireless charging dock when I had a Google phone) and don't really want janky 3D printed foam "fingers" holding my phone in place for a sub-optimal (slower) charge...

But to each his own. I'll just settle for the inconvenience of taking 3 seconds to plug in a cord.
In my experience, plugging and unplugging 2x per day 5x per week has damaged the contacts in my phone and it no longer reliably stays connected to wired chargers. Seems like wireless charging might have extended the life of my phone, for what it's worth.
Sponsored