JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
I received my R1T on Tuesday June 28, and today (July 1) we drove the 385 miles from Emerald Isle, NC to Centreville VA (via Middleburg for a winery visit). We used Conserve mode, and left the house with a 98% SOC. We’d first planned to charge in Emporia VA, but as we went along, battery consumption was such that it rerouted and changed our charging stop to Richmond. I drove at or slightly above the speed limit, and used a “country” route on 55 mph roads from my house to Rocky Mount NC (shorter, about the same time). I kept it at 70 on I95 in the 70 mph zones, and used adaptive cruise/HWA. Our charging stop at the Richmond Electrify America station was about 240 miles from home the way we drove, and we arrived with a 32% SOC and showing 108 miles of range. Plugged into a 350 kW charger, it worked first time, no issues. EA reported the max as 240 kW, but the highest I saw on the charger was 205 kW. It stayed at about 200 kW until about 50% SOC. We stopped charging at 81% SOC, 33 minutes. Charging rate about 74 kW when I stopped it. Arrived at our destination with 51% SOC.

I’m very pleased with the efficiency, and also with the fit and finish and performance. Delivery was smooth. I’m a happy camper…
Sponsored

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Thanks for the quick and very clear summary. My quick math says you averaged around 2.9 mi/kwh. The type of driving you describe is similar to the way I plan to drive it on my 200 mile trip to and from my camp. About 2/3 highway and last 1/3 country roads averaging 45-60 mph. I'll have the 20" ATs, but in conserve I'm hoping it will be a pretty easy trip. I'm sure I'll charge to 100% the first attempt, but can likely make it with an 85% charge. There are currently at least 2 350 kw DCFCs on the way so safe either way. Enjoy your new truck!

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Thanks for report, any idea how your speedo is calibrated? Mine is 3mph high, shows 70 and I'm doing 67. It matters on longer trips..

Sponsored

OP
OP
JoelD

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for report, any idea how your speedo is calibrated? Mine is 3mph high, shows 70 and I'm doing 67. It matters on longer trips..
No…I can say from driving 70 on I95 that it seemed reasonable as the left lane looked about 75

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Thanks for the quick and very clear summary. My quick math says you averaged around 2.9 mi/kwh. The type of driving you describe is similar to the way I plan to drive it on my 200 mile trip to and from my camp. About 2/3 highway and last 1/3 country roads averaging 45-60 mph. I'll have the 20" ATs, but in conserve I'm hoping it will be a pretty easy trip. I'm sure I'll charge to 100% the first attempt, but can likely make it with an 85% charge. There are currently at least 2 350 kw DCFCs on the way so safe either way. Enjoy your new truck!
Additional math...

2.9mi/kWh = 345 wh/mi for us OG Tesla folks.
Projected 0-100% range based on 1st leg usage would have been ~364miles (+24% over EPA)
Projected 0-100% range based on remaining state of charge/range calculation was ~338miles. (+15% over EPA)

**Calculation disclaimer: While EPA has 314 miles rated for combined. Only 293 miles rated for Highway only as such, I used the rated highway number based on OPs description.

There's about a 7% discrepancy (buffer?) between your consumption and what the computer was calculating. Although it's entire possible still that your driving habits were increasing in consumption as you went along.

Additional commentary, I've done a similar drive from NC but continued up to NY. My average wh/mi in a 2017 Model X was ~390 wh/mi on 22" all season tires. In a 2016 Model S it was ~320 wh/mi on 21" performance summer tires. That seems to be some vey impressive efficiency numbers.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I received my R1T on Tuesday June 28, and today (July 1) we drove the 385 miles from Emerald Isle, NC to Centreville VA (via Middleburg for a winery visit). We used Conserve mode, and left the house with a 98% SOC. We’d first planned to charge in Emporia VA, but as we went along, battery consumption was such that it rerouted and changed our charging stop to Richmond. I drove at or slightly above the speed limit, and used a “country” route on 55 mph roads from my house to Rocky Mount NC (shorter, about the same time). I kept it at 70 on I95 in the 70 mph zones, and used adaptive cruise/HWA. Our charging stop at the Richmond Electrify America station was about 240 miles from home the way we drove, and we arrived with a 32% SOC and showing 108 miles of range. Plugged into a 350 kW charger, it worked first time, no issues. EA reported the max as 240 kW, but the highest I saw on the charger was 205 kW. It stayed at about 200 kW until about 50% SOC. We stopped charging at 81% SOC, 33 minutes. Charging rate about 74 kW when I stopped it. Arrived at our destination with 51% SOC.

I’m very pleased with the efficiency, and also with the fit and finish and performance. Delivery was smooth. I’m a happy camper…
Impressive efficiency numbers!

Did you have your air conditioning turned on and if so what temperature did you have it at?

OP
OP
JoelD

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Impressive efficiency numbers!

Did you have your air conditioning turned on and if so what temperature did you have it at?
AC was on, set on Auto, Temp set between 72 and 74…

It was a hot day!

-Joel

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

AC was on, set on Auto, Temp set between 72 and 74…

It was a hot day!

-Joel
I'm genuinely impressed that you got such great efficiency especially with climate control.

Thanks for the report and looking forward to more!

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Wind…& elevation.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

No offense, but I would not wanna be caught in conserve mode 😉
The Tesla is low enough for that, I want my truck/SUV to look like one.
Sadly, I’m not able to drive in such a conservative way. Driving speed limit in California would pretty much go against everything people do here and simply being me would make it impossible.
I’m glad you’re enjoying your truck. In the end, as long as we’re all happy with what it does for each of us is what matters.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Sadly, I’m not able to drive in such a conservative way. Driving speed limit in California would pretty much go against everything people do here and simply being me would make it impossible.
I’m glad you’re enjoying your truck. In the end, as long as we’re all happy with what it does for each of us is what matters.
To each his own. My sense is that I will explore the driving modes in the first few months but after a few months I will probably settle down and find myself in conserve more often, especially on road trips where I'm trying to maximize range.

How you perceive ride quality/speed is completely driven (pun intended) by what your frame of reference is.

My i3s has a very stiff ride and I like it that way. It's a carbon fiber chassis riding on 20 inch fairly skinny sport tires. During my First Mile drive I asked the guide to give me the worst possible drive mode for comfort and without hesitation she put me in sport/stiff/low suspension and it STILL felt plush relative to what I am used to.

OP
OP
JoelD

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I'm genuinely impressed that you got such great efficiency especially with climate control.

Thanks for the report and looking forward to more!
Re: climate control impacts, it’s my experience from my other EV (a 2020 Bolt) that AC has relatively little impact, as opposed to heat 😉, but YMMV!

OP
OP
JoelD

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
AxelR

in terms of vehicle height, both conserve and all-purpose dynamically adjust height to be lower at highway speed, and comes back up when you come to a stoplight or something….so hopefully you won’t be embarrassed 😜

i understand about the speed, but in this case, I wanted to be efficient to maximize range (within reasonable parameters!). Besides, on I95 on Friday the Virginia highway patrol was out in force, and almost no one was driving more than 5 over…
Sponsored