Sponsored

First trip requiring charging on the road

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

As a model 3 convert I was worried about range charging on trips. Took my first shortish trip (on 21" Road tires) that required charging on the road (Worcester Ma, to Rochester - to watch golf in the rain). Small pay load of Cornhole, golf clubs and a cooler of beer. Kept it around 77 mph on the highway in Conserve. Take aways:
- As DB-EV wrote, charging in up state NY is really good, especially along rte 90. New England, especially eastern, not so much in my experience. I predominantly used Plugshare to plan and find spots. It missed one convenient one that I found when I stopped for coffee, but otherwise served me well.
- EA chargers were common and had good speeds. Some were crowded but I never had to wait. Others did. Lots of variation in EVs at chargers. Nice to see.
- I would estimate charging added about 45 mins to trip there, but this includes the fact that there was no charger at the destination so I needed a good charge to use while there and then to get back to a charger on the way home. Prob added 30 mins to trip back home.
- In general, The R1T road great. Really no complaints. It was a comfortable, smooth ride. I did accelerate pretty hard a "few" times. Got up to speed nicely - as quick as the M3 but didn't feel like it. I would note that accelerating at higher speeds (e.g., passing, etc.) wasn't as quick as the model 3 but to be expected. GPS/map was good - no issues.
- I missed the M3 text reading. I used Siri but it is not as convenient. Likewise for voice commands. I may start playing with Alexa - I have never used it before.
- Streamed Pandora most of the time.
- Limited use of HVAC as temp was ideal for driving without it.
- Stayed outside Rochester. Lots of trucks in surrounding areas. Quite a few second looks and gear guard captured more than a few people taking pics.
- I am not a previous truck owner so getting used to some things (some as simple as judging the size of the vehicle and camera angles - especially the front one. I never pull in far enough). I like the overhead view.
- Burrito wrapped the cargo and used one ratchet tie down strap then bungee cords to keep it tight. Worked really well - albeit with a small load.
Camp speaker didn't work, but I think this was my fault with original set up. I am surprised that it essentially didn't charge while docked. Instructions say to externally charger completely the first time. Hopefully that fixes things.
- Some wind noise and I am getting used to other noises (different than m3). Also, the inside of the windshield gets dirtier than m3 and is annoying.

All and all, really enjoying the truck and charging wasn't much of a problem. I wasn't in a hurry and up state NY is great, so we'll see how it goes in other places (cape Cod looks terrible for charging). It was hard to give up the m3 but feeling pretty good about it now (not the $).

Trip home:

Rivian R1T R1S First trip requiring charging on the road image0

Total trip:
Rivian R1T R1S First trip requiring charging on the road image1

Bed:
Rivian R1T R1S First trip requiring charging on the road image3
Sponsored

Rainman

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Taycan
As a model 3 convert I was worried about range charging on trips. Took my first shortish trip (on 21" Road tires) that required charging on the road (Worcester Ma, to Rochester - to watch golf in the rain). Small pay load of Cornhole, golf clubs and a cooler of beer. Kept it around 77 mph on the highway in Conserve. Take aways:
- As DB-EV wrote, charging in up state NY is really good, especially along rte 90. New England, especially eastern, not so much in my experience. I predominantly used Plugshare to plan and find spots. It missed one convenient one that I found when I stopped for coffee, but otherwise served me well.
- EA chargers were common and had good speeds. Some were crowded but I never had to wait. Others did. Lots of variation in EVs at chargers. Nice to see.
- I would estimate charging added about 45 mins to trip there, but this includes the fact that there was no charger at the destination so I needed a good charge to use while there and then to get back to a charger on the way home. Prob added 30 mins to trip back home.
- In general, The R1T road great. Really no complaints. It was a comfortable, smooth ride. I did accelerate pretty hard a "few" times. Got up to speed nicely - as quick as the M3 but didn't feel like it. I would note that accelerating at higher speeds (e.g., passing, etc.) wasn't as quick as the model 3 but to be expected. GPS/map was good - no issues.
- I missed the M3 text reading. I used Siri but it is not as convenient. Likewise for voice commands. I may start playing with Alexa - I have never used it before.
- Streamed Pandora most of the time.
- Limited use of HVAC as temp was ideal for driving without it.
- Stayed outside Rochester. Lots of trucks in surrounding areas. Quite a few second looks and gear guard captured more than a few people taking pics.
- I am not a previous truck owner so getting used to some things (some as simple as judging the size of the vehicle and camera angles - especially the front one. I never pull in far enough). I like the overhead view.
- Burrito wrapped the cargo and used one ratchet tie down strap then bungee cords to keep it tight. Worked really well - albeit with a small load.
Camp speaker didn't work, but I think this was my fault with original set up. I am surprised that it essentially didn't charge while docked. Instructions say to externally charger completely the first time. Hopefully that fixes things.
- Some wind noise and I am getting used to other noises (different than m3). Also, the inside of the windshield gets dirtier than m3 and is annoying.

All and all, really enjoying the truck and charging wasn't much of a problem. I wasn't in a hurry and up state NY is great, so we'll see how it goes in other places (cape Cod looks terrible for charging). It was hard to give up the m3 but feeling pretty good about it now (not the $).

Trip home:

image0.jpeg

Total trip:
image1.jpeg

Bed:
image3.jpeg

Rainman

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Taycan
Thanks for the update, and that is solid efficiency!

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Efficiency looks good. That's about what I see with my 21" road setup.

The infotainment does a good job of routing to chargers but I found that preconditioning didn't help with charging speeds at all for me (summer temps). It just consumed more energy.

ABRP is a good option as well for planning ahead.

OP
OP

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

Efficiency looks good. That's about what I see with my 21" road setup.

The infotainment does a good job of routing to chargers but I found that preconditioning didn't help with charging speeds at all for me (summer temps). It just consumed more energy.

ABRP is a good option as well for planning ahead.
Thanks. Being the first trip needing to charge I over prepared, including ABRP. I ended up relying on Plugshare more but will continue to check out both and others, on trips. Good to hear others experiences.
Sponsored