Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
FYI, Tesla just told California that it is backing out of $6M in govt funding they were going to get for installing CCS compatible chargers in four locations ($1.5M per location). The speculation is that the NEVI program funding was too onerous (like requiring on-site CC readers). So Tesla might not be embracing CCS compatibility quickly or if ever.
I'm not surprised in the least bit. Its going to be a while before we can charge any vehicle at a super charger.
Sponsored

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
FYI, Tesla just told California that it is backing out of $6M in govt funding they were going to get for installing CCS compatible chargers in four locations ($1.5M per location). The speculation is that the NEVI program funding was too onerous (like requiring on-site CC readers). So Tesla might not be embracing CCS compatibility quickly or if ever.
Damn! All you software engineers. How difficult would it be for manufacturers to program plug and charge into existing vehicles, opening the use of an adaptor?

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Damn! All you software engineers. How difficult would it be for manufacturers to program plug and charge into existing vehicles, opening the use of an adaptor?
Tesla can do that now, but they aren't willing to install a reader and a screen for people who don't want to use the Tesla app.

Tesla is not coming to the rescue for CCS charging. Their price cut combined with superior charging is meant to remind everyone who is still the big dog.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Tesla can do that now, but they aren't willing to install a reader and a screen for people who don't want to use the Tesla app.

Tesla is not coming to the rescue for CCS charging. Their price cut combined with superior charging is meant to remind everyone who is still the big dog.
Oh so it's all on Tesla? My thought is if they want to open the Tesla charging network, as suggested by the filing of the NACS, then they should be open to a third party adaptor. The primary missing ingredient after an adaptor is made is plug and charge. This would require Rivian, Ford, Chevy, VW, etc to allow the user to add a credit/debit card in the vehicle interface to pay when pllugged in.

I have no idea if this is feasible or not, I work in healthcare, not software.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Oh so it's all on Tesla? My thought is if they want to open the Tesla charging network, as suggested by the filing of the NACS, then they should be open to a third party adaptor. The primary missing ingredient after an adaptor is made is plug and charge. This would require Rivian, Ford, Chevy, VW, etc to allow the user to add a credit/debit card in the vehicle interface to pay when pllugged in.

I have no idea if this is feasible or not, I work in healthcare, not software.
I believe in Europe the interface to start CCS charging at a supercharger is the Tesla app. But I could be wrong.

There no reason for Tesla to make charging super convenient for CCS cars until they are competing against other charger operators.

Sponsored

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
I believe in Europe the interface to start CCS charging at a supercharger is the Tesla app. But I could be wrong.

There no reason for Tesla to make charging super convenient for CCS cars until they are competing against other charger operators.
That is correct, the Tesla app is how the charger would communicate with the non-Tesla vehicle. This isn't all that difficult really, a Tesla sold adaptor and the app and it would work. It would not be as seamless as a Tesla vehicle, but that's fine for both the Tesla owner and the non-Tesla owner. Tesla owners will be happy to display how easy it is to use a Tesla and us Rivian owners will just be happy to have a reliable charger.

The reasons behind it are that Elon has mentioned that to scale SC stations, they need more vehicle volume. While Tesla has the best network right now, it can still be greatly improved with more coverage. The upcharge associated with non-Tesla vehicles would help subsidize the expansion. Tesla plays the long gamer too...think about a CCS vehicle that shows up to a Tesla SC, sees the line of Tesla's charging for less, and are fine vehicles with great tech and great range. It's a like stopping at a Tesla showroom every time someone uses a Tesla SC.

Additionally the Inflation Reduction bill has a lot of provisions for building out EV infrastructure, I'm sure Tesla will like to have some of that pie too. So they'll do it if it's a money maker and it furthers their quest save the planet.

Tesla just opened some Australian SC's to non-Tesla vehicles too. And there's speculation that Hawthorne will have the first CCS compatible SuperCharger.

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Man.... hope they come through with it. Can understand if they don't do it in Cali because of those things involved in that program though.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
From Teslas perspective these programs that lard up requirements with unnecessary things like credit card readers is very annoying. It would be nice if the government incentives worked with Tesla rather than make Tesla do something that doesn’t make sense for it.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
From Teslas perspective these programs that lard up requirements with unnecessary things like credit card readers is very annoying. It would be nice if the government incentives worked with Tesla rather than make Tesla do something that doesn’t make sense for it.
The entire point is to standardize the charging network on a national scale as much as possible. If Tesla just gets to ignore the “standard” then it’s just a handout to Tesla. If Tesla doesn’t want to be a part of that they don’t have to be.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
The entire point is to standardize the charging network on a national scale as much as possible. If Tesla just gets to ignore the “standard” then it’s just a handout to Tesla. If Tesla doesn’t want to be a part of that they don’t have to be.
That’s all very nice and fine but the de facto standard is in fact, the Tesla charging plug. Something like 80% of Evies sold in the United States are Tesla. Ignoring Tesla is kind of ridiculous in my humble opinion. Other opinions may differ.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That’s all very nice and fine but the de facto standard is in fact, the Tesla charging plug. Something like 80% of Evies sold in the United States are Tesla. Ignoring Tesla is kind of ridiculous in my humble opinion. Other opinions may differ.
Just because Tesla uses it does not make it a standard. It just makes it Tesla’s choice of plug. Doesn’t mean it’s the better plug or worse plug, it just means it’s Tesla’s plug. The idea here isn’t to force every manufacturer to be Tesla and make life as easy as possible for them. Again, it’s 100% up to them if they want to participate in this effort.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
In the near future CCS EVs will out sell and outnumber teslas. Then what? We change standards again?

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
Just because Tesla uses it does not make it a standard. It just makes it Tesla’s choice of plug. Doesn’t mean it’s the better plug or worse plug, it just means it’s Tesla’s plug. The idea here isn’t to force every manufacturer to be Tesla and make life as easy as possible for them. Again, it’s 100% up to them if they want to participate in this effort.
FWIW, the Tesla plug is better, much easier to use. Had Tesla been able to convince the world to go that direction, it would be a little bit easier for all of us every time we charge. Not to mention we’d only have to wait for the software right now to use Superchargers instead of hardware and software.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Tesla’s perspective is completely irrelevant to the question of what requirements should exist for how the government spends taxpayer’s money. The requirements for a screen which shows the price and for a CC reader are completely reasonable and appropriate standards. Public funds should be spent on chargers that are accessible by as many people as possible. Many people don’t have smart phones or don’t want 10 apps for things like charging networks. There must be a way for them to charge their cars. The public needs to spend its money making sure they can.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
FWIW, the Tesla plug is better, much easier to use. Had Tesla been able to convince the world to go that direction, it would be a little bit easier for all of us every time we charge. Not to mention we’d only have to wait for the software right now to use Superchargers instead of hardware and software.
From a usability standpoint, the Tesla plug is better because it's much easier to handle. But this isn't something you're keeping in your pocket, it's something you handle for 7 seconds. Being smaller and lighter alone aren't reasons to make it a superior connector. With how unstable Musk is would you really expect other manufacturers to implement Tesla's "standard"? So at the drop of a hat Musk could say "F you guys, I'm revoking access and you can't use it anymore" halfway through a model year?
Sponsored