Sponsored

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
I know a lot of the people on the west coast don't like this because the superchargers are crowded, but this would be so great for the east coast and the rest of the country. I think as soon as Tesla starts making money off non-Tesla owners it will really get the competition going for more chargers. I hope they don't make it too expensive though.
I don't even care if it's expensive (expensive is relative here since it woud still probably be cheaper than fuel) since 95% of the charging I would be doing would be at home. I just want the saftey net of the Tesla charging network.
Sponsored

ajhoop

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Our family annual trip from No VA to OBX is the one long trip I want to take the Rivian on. Once you get past Richmond though there are no decent charging options. Put a DCFC in Corolla so you can charge as you go on and off the beach.
There’s an EA in a Walmart in Newport News that I’ve used a couple of times. Was on my way from Northern VA to Sandbridge. No issues with It…was even free the weekend I used it.

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

Our family annual trip from No VA to OBX is the one long trip I want to take the Rivian on. Once you get past Richmond though there are no decent charging options. Put a DCFC in Corolla so you can charge as you go on and off the beach.
There’s an EA in a Walmart in Newport News that I’ve used a couple of times. Was on my way from Northern VA to Sandbridge. No issues with It…was even free the weekend I used it.
+1 on that charger at Newport News. I do the same annual NOVA - OBX drive every year. Last year that one charger covered us on the way down and most of the way back. There's also 350 KWs there. I suspect it's going to start getting crowded as EV adoption grows, however...

There are many that show up on Plugshare, but some/many of them are dealerships and the like.

Also, I am starting to see rental houses in OBX advertising that they have EV chargers installed...

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I don't even care if it's expensive (expensive is relative here since it woud still probably be cheaper than fuel) since 95% of the charging I would be doing would be at home. I just want the saftey net of the Tesla charging network.
This.

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

This is game changing and I wonder how much Elon will charge for this...

Also, what would be the realistic timeframe in seeing these open up widespread throughout the Country...? Hmm...
$8, and he is going to throw in a free blue twitter check mark on your first charge.

Sponsored

Dirtman16

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
All kinds:
1674524993059.jpeg

I’m originally from “Crumbling Industry”.
Rivian R1T R1S First Tesla Supercharger location with CCS compatible "Magic Dock" plug discovered in app 1674575839984

As an Alabamian, I'm intrigued. Though I expect this is not a compliment. :)

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
$8, and he is going to throw in a free blue twitter check mark on your first charge.
I gave this more thought - you guys are right...the cost doesn't matter, it's the safety net we all get during road trips.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I tried to remove all the NSFW-type references (it’s over 10 years old at this point). Apologies if I missed anything, it’s meant to be a fun poke at NJ not hurtful.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
+1 on that charger at Newport News. I do the same annual NOVA - OBX drive every year. Last year that one charger covered us on the way down and most of the way back. There's also 350 KWs there. I suspect it's going to start getting crowded as EV adoption grows, however...

There are many that show up on Plugshare, but some/many of them are dealerships and the like.

Also, I am starting to see rental houses in OBX advertising that they have EV chargers installed...
Eastern NC is horrible for DCFC. It's the primary reason I cancelled my R1T order and will be waiting 2-3 years for the company and charging to mature.

Sponsored

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
I gave this more thought - you guys are right...the cost doesn't matter, it's the safety net we all get during road trips.
Probably cheaper than a hotel room for the night, and certainly cheaper than a tow truck.

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette Z06, Cherokee, Nissan Titan, BMW 1200GSA
This is game changing and I wonder how much Elon will charge for this...

Also, what would be the realistic timeframe in seeing these open up widespread throughout the Country...? Hmm...
s00n

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Anything that fills the gap of DCFC access is a WIN for my thinking........

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Revenue for Tesla and reliable chargers for everyone else. This is a huge win.

Considering Tesla is still the majority of the EV market in the US, I don’t even see this as a huge “Superchargers are Overcrowded” issue, either. Only once in six years of road trips did I need to wait on an SC here on the east coast, and that’s when only 2/8 of the SC stalls in Newton, MA were working.

Come on, Kill Devil Hills Magic Dock…
It's unlikely in Tesla interest to do widespread CCS charging in the next few years. They were forced to offer CCS in Europe. They don't face that issue in North America.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
FYI, Tesla just told California that it is backing out of $6M in govt funding they were going to get for installing CCS compatible chargers in four locations ($1.5M per location). The speculation is that the NEVI program funding was too onerous (like requiring on-site CC readers). So Tesla might not be embracing CCS compatibility quickly or if ever.
Sponsored