First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, R1T DMP
Occupation
Self employed
Thought I would share this experience in case anyone else has the same problem.

Picked up the R1T Dual Motor Performance one month ago and put 2000 miles on it already. Two weeks ago started hearing a strange noise that is difficult to describe and occurred randomly. It sounded like a loud ratcheting/fluttering noise that would last for only a second. Kind of reminded me of what it sounds like when you attach a card to the forks of bike to make it sound like a motorcycle (Something I did as a kid). It happened at different speeds and at a stand still and always had the same rhythm.

Service was amazing!!! I called to explore options and to find out if it was something urgent. They wasted no time setting up an appointment with the understanding that I would need a loaner since this is my only car currently. The closest service center is 1.5 hours away in Tualatin Oregon. They arranged for rental from Enterprise but also said that if it was something that would take a long time then I could have a loaner.

On the drive to the service center the noise happened 10 times and I tried to record it but there was too much background noise for a quality recording. One of the mechanics rode with me on 20 minute drive to see if we could replicate it and it happened twice. His reaction when he heard it was "Whoa, I've never heard that before." Needless to say, they said they may need it for a while and would be contacting engineering so I drove home in a Quad motor R1S. This gave me a great opportunity to compare the two. More on that later.

A day later they called to say it was fixed and it ended up being a faulty AC compressor unit. Did I mention how great the service was? They let me keep the R1S and extra day because I had a trip planned and would be driving to Washington. We loaded up the R1S with all our stuff and our rottie and traded cars and completed our journey north. They were extremely accommodating allowing me to keep it an extra day and they were okay with our dog because I covered the seats.

I new there was a risk getting a Rivian and having it as our only car but I have no regrets. Again, the service has been impressive so far.

Which one do I like better, R1T DMP or R1S QM? Both with AT tires. The R1T is quieter than the R1S and is more efficient. When comparing both in All purpose mode the Quad was noticeably quicker but in conserve mode it was inferior to the DMP and for most driving I prefer the DMP because I don't have switch back and forth to gain efficiency or performance.
Sponsored

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

I can’t believe you got an appointment in 2 weeks!

raylepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Random Maker
Clubs

I got an appointment at the Richmond, VA SC in just two weeks, too. R1S was pulling slightly right since delivery in late December. 4 hours and done. Before and after print-outs showed there was indeed some adjustment needed. Drives like a dream now.
Sponsored