First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
No matter what I do, I get 1.9x the best; so I gave up and drive however I wish.
Sponsored

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
No matter what I do, I get 1.9x the best; so I gave up and drive however I wish.
It sounds like some Rivians came out “good” and others “bad” in the efficiency department. Given the quality issues I’ve seen, I wouldn’t be surprised if an efficiency defect has gone unnoticed. That would be even harder to spot than the visible issues.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
My lifetime(since feb) on 20s is 2.1, but since it's been warmer I've been averaging 2.3+ on drives. Not a lot of highway driving though.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
It's concerning, at least to me, that efficiency is apparently so variable, or put another way, that the range of efficiencies under roughly the same conditions, is so wide.

Using the EPA range of of 321 miles and the likely 129 kWh effective capacity of the Large battery pack, gives ~2.49 mi/kWh. I'm not sure what the "acceptable" variation is but if we assume it's +/-10% (which I would think is high), that would mean 2.24 mi/kWh on the low end. That some folks are reporting less than 2.0, roughly 20% under the assumed efficiency, is something that is worrisome. That same 10% variation on the high end is ~2.74 mi/kWh and I wonder how many folks are getting that. I know that the OP got considerably better than that, but it seems that driving conditions & style played a major role there.

Of course, we don't know how widespread the low efficiencies are. If it's a relative handful of vehicles, it's acceptable. If it's a significant number number on the other hand, it is a problem that Rivian needs to address.

Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It's concerning, at least to me, that efficiency is apparently so variable, or put another way, that the range of efficiencies under roughly the same conditions, is so wide.

Using the EPA range of of 321 miles and the likely 129 kWh effective capacity of the Large battery pack, gives ~2.49 mi/kWh. I'm not sure what the "acceptable" variation is but if we assume it's +/-10% (which I would think is high), that would mean 2.24 mi/kWh on the low end. That some folks are reporting less than 2.0, roughly 20% under the assumed efficiency, is something that is worrisome. That same 10% variation on the high end is ~2.74 mi/kWh and I wonder how many folks are getting that. I know that the OP got considerably better than that, but it seems that driving conditions & style played a major role there.

Of course, we don't know how widespread the low efficiencies are. If it's a relative handful of vehicles, it's acceptable. If it's a significant number number on the other hand, it is a problem that Rivian needs to address.
It has a lot to do with the driver. On our Model S when my wife drives she gets around 295 watts per mile, I get closer to 320 watts per mile.

Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
As far as wind noise concerns, I brought the vehicle in for service because of that. The tech said it could be from many sources from misalignment panels to windows not tight enough. They fixed all of those and still not much improvement. I even do the roof, windshield, and windows seal on my own with the technique of one member in this forum here posted awhile ago and it only helps with driving under 50 mph. Anything faster than that, I will hear it. Maybe I hear it more because i'm more conscious about it. Who knows. I decided to just ignore it for now and just enjoy the vehicle.

Btw, that is insane efficiency for sure. I'm on 21" too and I get about 2.45 kwh on my 200 miles trip last time to norman OK. Although i'm not on cruise control .

OP, would you mind post photo of the hood alignment ? That could be the source of wind noise as well.

OP
OP

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GS
It sounds like some Rivians came out “good” and others “bad” in the efficiency department. Given the quality issues I’ve seen, I wouldn’t be surprised if an efficiency defect has gone unnoticed. That would be even harder to spot than the visible issues.
So normal day to day driving on all purpose mode, I'm average about 2mi/kwh on the freeway based on the graph shown by 15 minute interval. Could it be possible that in converse mode, for those always seeing 2 mi/kwh, the rear motors aren't actually disconnecting? Just a thought...

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
I just started tracking my efficiency on a drive to the airport yesterday because I don’t think I’m getting what I should, especially now that the weather is warming

In my R1T with 21s, cruise at 75mph in conserve mode with a 10mph headwind, I was getting 1.97mi/kWh. 55°, warm battery, no heat or A/C, 78% battery, no traffic, mostly flat (Kansas…)

Yes, the headwind is an issue in the above but it tracks what I’ve been seeing lately. I cannot get much above 2.0 on the interstate.

OP
OP

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GS
I just started tracking my efficiency on a drive to the airport yesterday because I don’t think I’m getting what I should, especially now that the weather is warming

In my R1T with 21s, cruise at 75mph in conserve mode with a 10mph headwind, I was getting 1.97mi/kWh. 55°, warm battery, no heat or A/C, 78% battery, no traffic, mostly flat (Kansas…)

Yes, the headwind is an issue in the above but it tracks what I’ve been seeing lately. I cannot get much above 2.0 on the interstate.
I'll have to report back with efficiency once I finish my long road trip to Portland and back. During my 90 mile drive, I did hit traffic, so that might have increased that efficiency number since EVs tend do do better at slower speeds.

The numbers I reported was with the AC fan at the lowest setting, and at about 60-65 degrees.

OP
OP

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GS
As far as wind noise concerns, I brought the vehicle in for service because of that. The tech said it could be from many sources from misalignment panels to windows not tight enough. They fixed all of those and still not much improvement. I even do the roof, windshield, and windows seal on my own with the technique of one member in this forum here posted awhile ago and it only helps with driving under 50 mph. Anything faster than that, I will hear it. Maybe I hear it more because i'm more conscious about it. Who knows. I decided to just ignore it for now and just enjoy the vehicle.

Btw, that is insane efficiency for sure. I'm on 21" too and I get about 2.45 kwh on my 200 miles trip last time to norman OK. Although i'm not on cruise control .

OP, would you mind post photo of the hood alignment ? That could be the source of wind noise as well.
Tried my best here. Looking at it now, it does look like my charge port door is a little off as well. Let me know what you guys think about the hood alignment though.
Rivian R1T R1S First Road Trip in R1S – Observations/Range/Questions PXL_20230503_165011938
Rivian R1T R1S First Road Trip in R1S – Observations/Range/Questions PXL_20230503_164922336
Rivian R1T R1S First Road Trip in R1S – Observations/Range/Questions PXL_20230503_164930571

Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Tried my best here. Looking at it now, it does look like my charge port door is a little off as well. Let me know what you guys think about the hood alignment though.
PXL_20230503_165011938.jpg
PXL_20230503_164922336.jpg
PXL_20230503_164930571.jpg
I can't tell much from the picture about the hood, but definitely the charger port is misaligned

OP
OP

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GS
I can't tell much from the picture about the hood, but definitely the charger port is misaligned
Do you see an issue with the corner of the hood not lining up with the fender? Would be nice if they matched, but I feel like I see that on most Rivians. How is yours like?

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Do you see an issue with the corner of the hood not lining up with the fender? Would be nice if they matched, but I feel like I see that on most Rivians. How is yours like?
My car is GW as well, and i don't have issue with the front hood. However, I do have some mis aligment of the driver side front door slightly higher than the driver back door. Also, the lift gate panel is a off (most obvious one) They fixed both of those at the service appointment in a day. But I don't think they really fix the noise issue though.
Sponsored