Sponsored

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S, 23 MY
We took delivery of our R1S on 4/26. The Rivian R1S is first SUV and EV vehicle for our family. The fit and finish of the vehicle was fantastic. My friend (2020 Model Y owner) who took me for delivery commented that it’s a lot nicer than his Tesla was during his delivery. Panel gap and alignments were pretty good overall. Fit and finish of the interior is a lot nicer than I anticipated. I love the ocean coast and really glad I went with it. It’s very much on the gray side versus white. I thought the white steering wheel would bother me, and had planned to have someone spray paint it, but it has grown on me and I don’t mind it anymore.

There are three main issues that I found. The first issue is the front hood. The driver side near the headlight is just slightly higher than the passenger side. Most people probably won’t even notice and it wouldn’t bother me if it was left like that. Second issue is the passenger headlight. There are a few gouge marks on it. Hopefully that’ll be an easy swap during my service appointment. The third issue is wind noise coming from the driver side window. Once I get to 50MPH or above, I notice a lot more wind noise. Hopefully this will be fixed before my road trip to Portland. I think it’ll be pretty annoying driving with all that wind noise for hours and hours.

Range/Efficiency - This past weekend was our first little trip from Los Angeles to Legoland which is about 90 miles each way. It was a good little test to see what our range would be before we take it on our road trip to Portland at the end of the month.

On the way there, with converse mode on the freeway and trip information reset while on the freeway, the car was able to do 2.89 mi/kwh. Average speed was 63 MPH. Cruise control was set to 75 whenever possible. The 90 mile trip took about 22% of the battery. Started at 92% and ended at 70%.

Coming back, the car did 2.75mi/kwh. Again, I TRIED to drive around 75mph when the freeway was open, but ended up going a little faster in some sections while in the car pool. There was a lot more traffic on the way back, hence the lower average speed. Overall, I’m pretty happy with the efficiency. Assuming 135kwh battery, and 2.7mi/kwh, we’re close to 360miles from 100% to 0.

Questions:

There was a section of the freeway that was being worked on where the car kept telling me I was over the line and tried to steer for me. It wasn’t in Drive+ mode or cruise control. So for that little section, I felt like I was fighting the car. Is Lane Keep Assist always on even if you’re not in cruise control or Driver+?

I’m barely tall enough to reach the button to close the tailgate. I doubt my wife would be able to reach it and would be pretty inconvenient to reach for the key to close it versus just reaching up and pressing the button. Also, the front hood comes very close to hitting an overhang where I park the car. Is there any way to set the maximum opening height for these two? I could not find anything in the user manual.
Rivian R1T R1S First Road Trip in R1S – Observations/Range/Questions PXL_20230429_165809832

Rivian R1T R1S First Road Trip in R1S – Observations/Range/Questions PXL_20230430_224343166
Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I find it difficult to limit my speed on the highway. Unrelated to the vehicle, it just drives well so I'll hit 85 or 90 without noticing. This is in the areas just outside Chicago where most other drivers are similarly speeding.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Glad you are broadly happy with your vehicle. The alignment of the hood has, from photos I see, either very good, OK or poor. Not sure why this is not standardized after 30000 vehicles built.
The wind noise was meant to have been helped by improvements to the triangular window piece. Maybe it needs to be done again.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
We took delivery of our R1S on 4/26. The Rivian R1S is first SUV and EV vehicle for our family. The fit and finish of the vehicle was fantastic. My friend (2020 Model Y owner) who took me for delivery commented that it’s a lot nicer than his Tesla was during his delivery. Panel gap and alignments were pretty good overall. Fit and finish of the interior is a lot nicer than I anticipated. I love the ocean coast and really glad I went with it. It’s very much on the gray side versus white. I thought the white steering wheel would bother me, and had planned to have someone spray paint it, but it has grown on me and I don’t mind it anymore.

There are three main issues that I found. The first issue is the front hood. The driver side near the headlight is just slightly higher than the passenger side. Most people probably won’t even notice and it wouldn’t bother me if it was left like that. Second issue is the passenger headlight. There are a few gouge marks on it. Hopefully that’ll be an easy swap during my service appointment. The third issue is wind noise coming from the driver side window. Once I get to 50MPH or above, I notice a lot more wind noise. Hopefully this will be fixed before my road trip to Portland. I think it’ll be pretty annoying driving with all that wind noise for hours and hours.

Range/Efficiency - This past weekend was our first little trip from Los Angeles to Legoland which is about 90 miles each way. It was a good little test to see what our range would be before we take it on our road trip to Portland at the end of the month.

On the way there, with converse mode on the freeway and trip information reset while on the freeway, the car was able to do 2.89 mi/kwh. Average speed was 63 MPH. Cruise control was set to 75 whenever possible. The 90 mile trip took about 22% of the battery. Started at 92% and ended at 70%.

Coming back, the car did 2.75mi/kwh. Again, I TRIED to drive around 75mph when the freeway was open, but ended up going a little faster in some sections while in the car pool. There was a lot more traffic on the way back, hence the lower average speed. Overall, I’m pretty happy with the efficiency. Assuming 135kwh battery, and 2.7mi/kwh, we’re close to 360miles from 100% to 0.

Questions:

There was a section of the freeway that was being worked on where the car kept telling me I was over the line and tried to steer for me. It wasn’t in Drive+ mode or cruise control. So for that little section, I felt like I was fighting the car. Is Lane Keep Assist always on even if you’re not in cruise control or Driver+?

I’m barely tall enough to reach the button to close the tailgate. I doubt my wife would be able to reach it and would be pretty inconvenient to reach for the key to close it versus just reaching up and pressing the button. Also, the front hood comes very close to hitting an overhang where I park the car. Is there any way to set the maximum opening height for these two? I could not find anything in the user manual.
PXL_20230429_165809832.jpg

PXL_20230430_224343166.jpg
Go into the driver+ menu, there are settings for alerts on lane keeping and braking, you can turn it off or set it for audible or vibration and turn the assist off. I did not like it, turned it off after a few minutes.
Rivian R1T R1S First Road Trip in R1S – Observations/Range/Questions IMG_9018

OP
OP

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S, 23 MY
Go into the driver+ menu, there are settings for alerts on lane keeping and braking, you can turn it off or set it for audible or vibration and turn the assist off. I did not like it, turned it off after a few minutes.
IMG_9018.jpeg
Thanks! Will definitely turn it off now.

Sponsored

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Great write up, and great efficiency! Our R1S had wind noise on the front passenger side. Turned out the rubber window gasket was defective and preventing the window from closing all the way. The service center replaced the gaskets on both sides and its been fine since.

OP
OP

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S, 23 MY
Great write up, and great efficiency! Our R1S had wind noise on the front passenger side. Turned out the rubber window gasket was defective and preventing the window from closing all the way. The service center replaced the gaskets on both sides and its been fine since.
Glad they were able to fix it. Was it an easy fix? Hopefully it'll be the case for me as well!

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
I turned off the lane departure warnings day 1 and haven't regretted it. Also I don't think the tailgate can remember a height, but you can press the button again mid opening to stop it.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That efficiency is insane. I can’t even get above 2 mi/kWh on the highway, driving just above the speed limit.

Sponsored

OP
OP

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S, 23 MY
That efficiency is insane. I can’t even get above 2 mi/kWh on the highway, driving just above the speed limit.
Really? With 21"? Is this in the extreme cold or something? Temperatures here this past weekend was about 60-70 degrees. Besides flooring it to get onto the freeway, I just kept it pretty steady with traffic at 75.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Really seems to show the difference in wheels, looks like he has 21s.

I can’t get that in my R1S on 22s either, have a little over 6900 miles and lifetime average is 2.27. I generally drive in all purpose standard but on highway stints longer than 10 miles I will use conserve.

OP
OP

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S, 23 MY
Really seems to show the difference in wheels, looks like he has 21s.

I can’t get that in my R1S on 22s either, have a little over 6900 miles and lifetime average is 2.27. I generally drive in all purpose standard but on highway stints longer than 10 miles I will use conserve.
Based on @NineElectrics signature, looks like he has 21" as well.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
This is me too. I have no idea how OP is getting those numbers. Always feel like I must be driving into a headwind both ways, pulling sub 2.0 mi/kwh while cruise is set to 74. Smdh, were you hypermiling the whole way???

OP
OP

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S, 23 MY
This is me too. I have no idea how OP is getting those numbers. Always feel like I must be driving into a headwind both ways, pulling sub 2.0 mi/kwh while cruise is set to 74. Smdh, were you hypermiling the whole way???
No hypermilling. Actually the opposite and gave extra distance since one pedal driving is still new to me.
Sponsored