Sponsored

touristboi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
rickshaw
Occupation
adult video connoisseur
what was the estimated weight of the trailer and its contents inside?

Boomkanani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2009 Tacoma
I would definitely use your trip A or B next time to get real data. Did you actually "start directions" on Google maps? Mileage usually changes from preview.

diz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
A little off topic but is it possible to load the KTM in the bed? If you were just bringing just one bike? Possibly at a 45 with the tailgate down? I have been looking at dual sport bikes and really want a 500 but can’t get any good specs on the length, without going into the local dealer with a tape measure! 🤪

Sponsored

OP
OP
idiocyafoot

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
I would definitely use your trip A or B next time to get real data. Did you actually "start directions" on Google maps? Mileage usually changes from preview.
Yes (of course). And I know the route very well.

OP
OP
idiocyafoot

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A little off topic but is it possible to load the KTM in the bed? If you were just bringing just one bike? Possibly at a 45 with the tailgate down? I have been looking at dual sport bikes and really want a 500 but can’t get any good specs on the length, without going into the local dealer with a tape measure! 🤪
Good question. We are working on that.

My 21 500 EXC-F Measures ~87" long, front tire edge to rear tire edge. The contact patch of the rear tire sits at ~73-74" back from the front tire.

The R1T Bed is 7Ft / 84" (from the very front wall of the bed to the edge of the open tailgage.) A chock system is going to push that back at least a little (and I think (from what I've read in other threads) you need to back it off some anyway to keep it off the tonneau cover).

That cuts it pretty close with the bike straight in....leaving the contact patch about 10-11 inches in from the edge. Less than that with a chock. I haven't looked into how far back something like the BuiltRight system with a chock is going to push that back.

So if you said a rail/chock setback of 3" that's gonna put it pretty close to the edge of the tailgate...with a 6" overhang (which is likely going to preclude use of a tailgate extender). But still probably ok.

Again that's all straight-in. I don't think any issue with the bike angled. Ideally we would like to get two in if possible. I have seen some vids of loading two bikes with handlbars angled with front wheels tucked in corners. Maybe that's an option.

I haven't hauled bikes in truck beds so I really need to defer to others on whether this all adds up to something reasonably/safely doable.

This seems like a pretty good sub-thread... "Dirt bikes in R1T Bed"

Love to hear opinions from some experienced truck bed haulers.

Rivian R1T R1S First Real R1T Towing Experience / Don't Knock the 21" Wheels Until You've Tried 'em Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 1.44.45 PM

Rivian R1T R1S First Real R1T Towing Experience / Don't Knock the 21" Wheels Until You've Tried 'em Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 1.44.28 PM

Rivian R1T R1S First Real R1T Towing Experience / Don't Knock the 21" Wheels Until You've Tried 'em Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 1.44.13 PM

Rivian R1T R1S First Real R1T Towing Experience / Don't Knock the 21" Wheels Until You've Tried 'em Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 1.43.55 PM

Rivian R1T R1S First Real R1T Towing Experience / Don't Knock the 21" Wheels Until You've Tried 'em Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 1.43.40 PM

Rivian R1T R1S First Real R1T Towing Experience / Don't Knock the 21" Wheels Until You've Tried 'em Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 1.44.45 PM

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The gooseneck tailgate hinge was a great innovation by Rivian. We can easily 4 x 8 sheets of drywall/plywood.

With a Jeep Gladiator you need to cut three 2 x 4’s and install them in the bed slots to elevate the material above the wheel wells.

Rivian R1T R1S First Real R1T Towing Experience / Don't Knock the 21" Wheels Until You've Tried 'em 99B9B317-8FBE-412D-B9E4-6A7D8373F1C2

diz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Good question. We are working on that.

My 21 500 EXC-F Measures ~87" long, front tire edge to rear tire edge. The contact patch of the rear tire sits at ~73-74" back from the front tire.

The R1T Bed is 7Ft / 84" (from the very front wall of the bed to the edge of the open tailgage.) A chock system is going to push that back at least a little (and I think (from what I've read in other threads) you need to back it off some anyway to keep it off the tonneau cover).

That cuts it pretty close with the bike straight in....leaving the contact patch about 10-11 inches in from the edge. Less than that with a chock. I haven't looked into how far back something like the BuiltRight system with a chock is going to push that back.

So if you said a rail/chock setback of 3" that's gonna put it pretty close to the edge of the tailgate...with a 6" overhang (which is likely going to preclude use of a tailgate extender). But still probably ok.

Again that's all straight-in. I don't think any issue with the bike angled. Ideally we would like to get two in if possible. I have seen some vids of loading two bikes with handlbars angled with front wheels tucked in corners. Maybe that's an option.

I haven't hauled bikes in truck beds so I really need to defer to others on whether this all adds up to something reasonably/safely doable.

This seems like a pretty good sub-thread... "Dirt bikes in R1T Bed"

Love to hear opinions from some experienced truck bed haulers.

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 1.44.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 1.44.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 1.44.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 1.43.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 1.43.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 1.44.45 PM.png
Thanks so much! That is exactly what I needed to see. Seems like it should be pretty straight forward, just need to find something to keep it off the tonneau cover.

I agree we need a thread about bikes in the r1t bed!

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (ordered), F150, Q5, 911 Turbo(s)
Last edited:

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Nice looking WR. Loved mine for the few years I had it.

Based on my limited towing experience in my truck, I agree with your towing experiences. Very effortless, and about what I would expect for range, maybe even slightly better. Aero is the biggest factor, not so much weight.

OP
OP
idiocyafoot

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As @pfbz mentioned the @RivianXpress thread is pretty definitive.

I did a temporary/short-drive single bike load today. Dropping R1T off for service tomorrow and decided to use the trip as a test and load up a bike and ride home.

Just straps for now (with some back tension to keep the front wheel off the tonneau cover.) I don’t love it without a front chock but It’s a relatively short hop and I did a a decent test drive this afternoon. “That ain’t goin’ nowhere!” (Only works with the double negative and a slap. My son corrects me if I mess it up.)

I did order the Builtright panel and a couple front wheel chocks for long term use.

Loading the one bike was easy. Loading and strapping two will be a little more work but certainly doable. Really want some sort of rear gate/net. Wish there was a high anchor point on the back. Would probably do one of the nets but with the extra strap probably amounts to same thing.

Ramps fit great in the tunnel.

Rivian R1T R1S First Real R1T Towing Experience / Don't Knock the 21" Wheels Until You've Tried 'em 8CF80C51-9EAB-45BC-BFC8-3F9D9E5D5DEF

(Straps loosened to sit overnight)

Last edited:

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
On way to the KTM rally in Idaho- I don’t recommend the Winnemucca to Boise route unless you get a 100% charge at Walmart in Winnemucca. I charged to 256 miles at Walmart and to 196 at Quinn river - 176 miles to Boise Walmart - drafted a semi, drove slow all the way to Boise and just made it

Rivian R1T R1S First Real R1T Towing Experience / Don't Knock the 21" Wheels Until You've Tried 'em 325B9F99-0B79-4829-AD04-51A76B897E2B

Rivian R1T R1S First Real R1T Towing Experience / Don't Knock the 21" Wheels Until You've Tried 'em 8ADAC6F8-5245-4A35-9D82-F0200D322F4C

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
As @pfbz mentioned the @RivianXpress thread is pretty definitive.

I did a temporary/short-drive single bike load today. Dropping R1T off for service tomorrow and decided to use the trip as a test and load up a bike and ride home.

Just straps for now (with some back tension to keep the front wheel off the tonneau cover.) I don’t love it without a front chock but It’s a relatively short hop and I did a a decent test drive this afternoon. “That ain’t goin’ nowhere!” (Only works with the double negative and a slap. My son corrects me if I mess it up.)

I did order the Builtright panel and a couple front wheel chocks for long term use.

Loading the one bike was easy. Loading and strapping two will be a little more work but certainly doable. Really want some sort of rear gate/net. Wish there was a high anchor point on the back. Would probably do one of the nets but with the extra strap probably amounts to same thing.

Ramps fit great in the tunnel.

8CF80C51-9EAB-45BC-BFC8-3F9D9E5D5DEF.jpeg

(Straps loosened to sit overnight)
The slap is critical.

Can you use the bed rail cargo port mounts for an upper tie-down? I haven't seen anyone post anything about ratings for these or anything, but I would assume they would be good for that.
Sponsored