Sponsored

First potential R1S “competitor”—MB EQG?

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
https://www.motortrend.com/news/mercedes-benz-concept-eqg-first-look-review/

Though only a concept car and probably targeted at a higher-end segment, it does seem to have some specs that would make it the most worthy EV SUV competitor to the R1S for off-road capabilities, given the four independent motors (same as Rivian) and even a 2-gear transmission (one per motor I guess?) that sounds unnecessarily complicated and somewhat superfluous given the amount of torque in electric motors as it is, but still, should be mighty impressive. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

One of the major benefits I see with most EVs is the lack of transmission (Taycan being the notable exception). I do the vast majority of mechanical repairs on my family’s vehicles, and a lack of differentials, transfer case, and transmission is a huge bonus for the R1S. All that benefit gets thrown to the wayside if a vehicle ends up with 4 transmissions, no matter how small.

My wife has lusted for a Gelandewagen for years, however, so I may be watching for more on this one.

I do see the industry moving toward 2-speed gearboxes on EVs as efficiency becomes prioritized greater. Right now the general methods for gaining range is improving aero, eking out marginally better energy density, and creating larger battery packs. As it becomes more difficult or cost prohibitive to improve these metrics, we will see transmissions incorporated more readily into EVs. Look at what happened to the ICE automobile in the pursuit of better performance and economy. Two-speed gearboxes were standard through the 1950s, in the 1960s 4spd trannies were used in performance cars, and now in 2021 the F150 has a 10 speed auto.

I’ve gotten off-topic… I’ll be excited to see more coverage of the EQG and hope it goes into production.

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
Always wanted a G63…but even my Cayenne GTS or X5M were cheap compared to a decently spec’s $200k+ G Wagon. Will be the same for the EQG…that vehicle is in a different price league compared to the R1S.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
https://www.motortrend.com/news/mercedes-benz-concept-eqg-first-look-review/

Though only a concept car and probably targeted at a higher-end segment, it does seem to have some specs that would make it the most worthy EV SUV competitor to the R1S for off-road capabilities, given the four independent motors (same as Rivian) and even a 2-gear transmission (one per motor I guess?) that sounds unnecessarily complicated and somewhat superfluous given the amount of torque in electric motors as it is, but still, should be mighty impressive. Thoughts?
It’s another league that MB will be competing in. Not against the RS1
Sponsored