Sponsored

First Mile Events linked to delivery timeline?

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
I did my First Mile test drive the other day and the Rivian employee mentioned that the company only does First Mile events with reservation holders who are expected to start the delivery process "s00n." I'm skeptical of that claim because (a) my reservation was made in late 2021, (b) my reservation is for a max pack, which Rivian has stated will not enter production until 2023, and (c) from what I've read on this forum, since my reservation color (Compass Yellow) isn't one of the more common colors, even among the (a) and (b) reservation holders I'll be towards the end of the line.

Just wanted to get a sanity check here. Have those who've done a First Mile event taken delivery shortly (i.e., six months at most) after the First Mile event? It'd be nice to have the truck before Christmas but, again, I totally expect that I'll be reading about Rivians more than driving them for the next 18 months or so.
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I sure hope that is the case as I have a First Mile drive scheduled for Saturday but I don't have a guide assigned yet. I plan on pressing the guide on what determines guide assignment and/or if there is anything I can do to expedite getting a guide assigned.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I am in a queue to get a guide assigned but not until after my First Mile drive.

mpw81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5 PHEV
I unexpectedly got a first mile invite and completed it the Monday before last (5/2). I didn't get the impression the person doing the drives (NOT a "guide") had any information on orders or timing whatsoever, she was just the person who did the drives.

But I hope you are right since we both have similar order dates and configs. However, I suspect they just finally got around to me since they've been doing drives in Denver for quite a while now.

I am hesitant to share if I do get a guide contact soon though. While I 100% understand it, It's a bummer reading through all the negativity when someone with a late-ish order gets a guide assignment.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I'm almost certain there is no correlation between First Mile and delivery.

People have been getting drives with 2023 estimated deliveries. They've also been perfectly clear that the Max Pack isn't going to be delivered this year.

There's also a ton of people (ahem, me) who are not going to get a test drive before delivery (customer service basically told me this outright).

Finally, they are producing yellow—at least according to my guide. I'm still waiting for a VIN (13 days since PBA signed), but she's confirmed that they've been seeing them come off the line. (Which is weird, because there's been basically no photos of customer deliveries).

Sponsored

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Had my first mile a few weeks ago and still don't have a guide, nor do I expect to since my delivery window is Oct - Dec. I'm skeptical of this one

steelwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Clubs

I really hope there is a correlation between first mile drive and taking. My first mile drive is tomorrow morning. I doubt there Is though. I didn’t place a reservation until Jan 22.
I think there’d be a lot of annoyed people if I took delivery in a matter of months after ordering.

Beachbum

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
SF Bay Area, Oct '21 order. I completed my First Mile drive this week. Guide stated he was completing 3-4 First Mile drives per day. Also stated the local service center is delivering between 5-100 R1Ts per week.
I contacted Custer Service Monday to adjust timing of drive and asked about my delivery window (why not if I have their ear). I received a canned response that an email will be sent within the next few weeks with an estimate.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
I had a first mile drive a month ago… it was amazing! That said, I dont think Im getting a guide anytime soon. Would love to be happily surprised!

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I did my First Mile test drive the other day and the Rivian employee mentioned that the company only does First Mile events with reservation holders who are expected to start the delivery process "s00n." I'm skeptical of that claim because (a) my reservation was made in late 2021, (b) my reservation is for a max pack, which Rivian has stated will not enter production until 2023, and (c) from what I've read on this forum, since my reservation color (Compass Yellow) isn't one of the more common colors, even among the (a) and (b) reservation holders I'll be towards the end of the line.

Just wanted to get a sanity check here. Have those who've done a First Mile event taken delivery shortly (i.e., six months at most) after the First Mile event? It'd be nice to have the truck before Christmas but, again, I totally expect that I'll be reading about Rivians more than driving them for the next 18 months or so.
nope, totally not true. i know of several people who got test drives, have not started the delivery process, don't even have guides and/or even ordered within the last 2-3 months. and the other end of the spectrum where they ordered in 2018, 2019, 2020, have a guide and may even have signed a PBA but no test drive even though they asked for one. and it doesn't really have anything to do with proximity to SC because there are lost of people who asked for test drives, live near a SC and nada.

all of which is to say this makes no sense how they are handing out test drives. pretty random if you ask me.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I did my First Mile test drive the other day and the Rivian employee mentioned that the company only does First Mile events with reservation holders who are expected to start the delivery process "s00n."
Likely near zero correlation. I got a First Mile drive in Denver last month with a Max Pack preorder. They've stated several times that they aren't planning to start max pack deliveries until at least 2023. During the Denver Service Center open house I spoke with the person who was organizing drives and they'd indicated they had something like 20 geographic zones around the city that they were working through for mobile drives. The idea was to keep the person running the drives in the same general area each day to minimize down time, even though I think they're only scheduling 4 per day. At this rate, if I get my truck by 2024, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

OP
OP
Jumacao

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
Welp, looks like my initial skepticism was correct - thanks all. It's annoying when people who work for a company know less about their product / delivery than people on the internet.

Robotpedlr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivan R1S
Occupation
Sales
I asked my First Mile driver if there is a correlation.. he said, nope. Just based on the location and timing of FMD cars in the area.
Sponsored